Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions?
Quote | Reply
I have been considering getting the Mirena IUD for birth control. I have done quite a bit of research on it, but there seem to be some interesting side effects. My male OB/GYN thinks it's a great idea and says that the negative blogs are just bitter people...hmmmm. If I get it I can always have it taken out, but it's expensive and I'm not sure about the hormones in it. I don't take anything now, and in the past regular birth control has always made me sick with ZERO libido. I really worry about my libido!!

The Mirena will also cause my periods to come to an almost complete stop which I like, but until then there can be intermittent bleeding for 6 months---unscheduled, intermittent bleeding...not fun. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if there are lots of reports of bleeding, back pain, or decreased libido. Help!!
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [EnduraGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it the 'IUD' method itself that you are interested in, there is also the Copper-T option, which contains no hormones. It is a good option for women who are very sensitive to changes in their natural hormone levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [LittleNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a downside to the Copper-T? I'm surprised my OB/GYN didn't mention that. I'm guessing that since there is no hormone in the Copper-T, the uterine lining doesn't thin as much which means implantation is possible?? And/or I will still get my monthly...hmmmm. Good point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are myths/misconceptions about the risks and downsides about all the IUD types, including the Copper-T.

There has been much research done on the Copper-T b/c it is a VERY cost effective type of birth control if you plan to use for 2+ years, thus a good option for women in the developing world. It also has a longer period of approved use (10 years I believe) than other IUDs. A quick google search will provide lots of info, both good and bad, I'm sure.

I do believe, however, some of the side effects related to spotting and bleeding may still exist with the Copper-T. If your doctor already was open to Mirena, I would guess they would be willing to look at the Copper-T as an option. Some doctors are still turned off by the myths related to the IUD and PID. Also, some docs (such as mine), refuse to insert an IUD for women who have not yet had any children, as there is a slightly greater risk of expulsion.

(PM if you want some scientific links, I work in repro. health and HIV/AIDS)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my research on the copper-T iud I found that the main side effects can be a heavier period and possibly worse cramping. Since I could not comprehend having *worse* cramps and heavier bleeding, I decided to just try "the pill" and I had a really tough time going on it. I had to try like 4-5 different ones before I was OK. Now I'm on the Nuvaring, which has been great.

As a side note - it's recommended not to use the instead soft cup if you have an IUD.

The link below claims a better effectiveness for the mirena IUD than the copper-t IUD.
http://www.fpnotebook.com/...ption/IntrtrnDvc.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the copper t one (I think the manufacturer is Paragard) Like another poster mentioned it does cause heavier periods, though the cramping seems the same. I had pretty light periods before, so I don't know how much of an effect it would have if you already have heavy periods. I primarily chose the copper t because at the time I was on a delicate mixture of anti-depressant medications and was worried about adding more hormones into the mix. (especially since I'd had huge problems finding a birth control pill that didn't make me crazy.)

I really like the copper one. I've had it for going on three years. There haven't been any side effects, aside from the period thing, which was more of a mental adjustment than anything else. The only real difficulty was that I had to find a different doctor to do it because me gyno at the time did his residency in the 70's during the Dalkon (sp?) Shield debacle, so if you have an older doctor, you'll have to ask for a recommendation.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Feel free to PM me with questions if you want.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all!! I have a moderate to heavy period for the first day and then tapers off so much that it's usually gone by the third day! I'm thinking that the Copper T will extend that and make it heavier. Hmmmmm...what to do! I am just really afraid of having any extra hormones in me. I have heard some really bad stories of women losing all sex drive from the pill or even mini-pill. Both made me kinda sick to my stomach anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at a permenant solution for birth control because I've been on the pill for 20 years and I'm not convinced it is OK for me. Also, it really does mess with your libido. Not sure if I'll do the tubal ligation or there are 2 fallopian tube implants that are popular right now. I thought about an IUD but I don't plan on having kids, especially since I'm now 39, and the fact that some of them release hormones defeats the purpose of getting off the pill. Any experiences with permenant solutions are helpful to me. I'll be taking care of it after Ironman, sometime in July.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Mirena a couple of years ago because of the no libido effect of being on the pill. I'm no longer in the relationship I was so currently BC is a non-issue. I know that Holdencain (ST resident OB/gyn) really had positive things to say about it.

Isn't it amazing and frustrating that there still isn't a really great method of BC available to us?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the copper T for about 3 years. My GYN was really hesitant to put it in because I hadn't had kids and they said it would be hard to put in and that I might decide I suddenly wanted kids and they wouldn't get the 5 years out of. 3 years later they determined it wasn't in right and took it out and refused to put one back in. They checked it a month after putting it in and I had 2 annual exams and it was fine. I'm not sure what happened so it wasn't in right.

I was really happy with it when I had it. Never bothered me at all. I've since switched BC about 4 times and have settled on the pill so I can manipulate my period (which I was very happy to be able to not have during IMAZ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Mirena and I think it's great. I've found that my libido is not decreased at all, like it was when I was on the pill. I have had some random bleeding and light cramping, but nothing too bad at all. And not worrying about remembering to take the pill is great. My ob.gyn is female, and she was very supportive of the idea even though I do not have any children. Overall I think it was a great idea, and I wish I had done it sooner!
Quote Reply
I use Mirena [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for about 4 years. I have had no side effort to make note of and I haven't had a period since! The intermittent bleeding was scant to say the least, but I never was a heavy bleeder. I am 46 and have never had children. Having the IUD inserted was a bit painful, but I was a victim of an Intern doing his first IUD. Best of all, my libido is still intact.
Quote Reply
Re: I use Mirena [amt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea!! I have two kids, so my doc is all in for it, but he's male, and I wanted to make sure he wasn't pressuring me as the rep for all men! Thanks for all the help, gals!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an IUD for about a year after my son was born (I can't remember what kind, although I think it was the copper). I didn't have any side effects, but decided to have it removed for a couple of reasons. First, it kind of creeped me out -- I didn't like knowing there was something foreign in my body at all times. Second, I started having pretty significant mood swings related to PMS, which were controlled most effectively by birth control pills. A lot of women around my age (the 40-45 age group) have had similar experiences. I'm on the lowest dose BC right now, and it's the same dose throughout the month except the week of my period. My libido has been just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, I both insert these in women and had a Mirena.
ALL of the women that have either have been happy. The copper T only makes periods heavier the first 3-12 months - but that is a significant time when racing.
I got a Mirena last summer because I wanted my torrential bleeding to stop (I am 45 and perimenopausal) and figured cool, it will be my progesterone when I am truly menopausal and need estrogen. My heavy bleeding stopped, but I did spot kind of all the time....
then at the 6 month mark, my body ejected it - yes just spit it out - was in the locker room post swim session and something did not feel right, and low and behold my Mirena was sitting at my cervical os....oops.

Now I use the nuvaring - continuously (meaning at the 3 week mark I take one out and put a new one in).

I LOVE it.

I have inserted Mirenas and Copper T's in both parous and nulliparous women (with and without childbirth) and it is fine.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Paragard (copper) installed a month ago. So far it's been great. Just finished my first period and it wasn't bad at all. No cramps and about 2 days of regular bleeding and 3 in the middle of a more heavy flow. But I was able to train through all of it. I think the bottom line is that everyone handles it differently. So far the whole experience has been really positive for me. And I have no synthetic hormones in my body, which I really like.
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [AllieCat123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have three kids and had the Mirena inserted 5 years ago after my last kiddo was born.
It has been no worries at all.
I did just have it replaced with a new one as they need to be changed every 5 years.
No regrets and no complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Mirena in for five years and thought it was fantastic. For maybe the first month, I bled a good bit then it tapered off to occasional very light spotting maybe once every 3 or 4 months. I did not notice any side effects and felt great not having to deal with the usual monthly cycles. The hormones in the Mirena are local so are very small amounts compared to a pill. I've tried pills and it's always been a terrible experience. I do not respond well to having my hormones monkeyed with but had no such troubles with the Mirena IUD. As a side note, once removed, it took about 6 months for my periods to return and remained pretty light (but I was training & racing a lot). Also, a year and a half after removal, I got pregnant, so the plumbing seems to be working fine.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Mirena--I insert these everyday and my patients LOVE them.
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the copper IUD for two years now. I got it because I was nursing my son and didn't want hormones in there messing up my supply. I have experienced two side-effects with this IUD: REALLY heavy periods, and some minor spotting. Never enough to necessitate a pad, but it's there nonetheless. My periods were heavy before, but are heavier now.

The reason I put up with the heavier periods, though, is that the IUD has all but taken my cramps away. I used to get debilitating cramps, to the point where I was convinced I was pregnant with an alien baby without my knowledge. Now I have hardly any cramping.

Go for the non-hormonal! :)

Triathlizer in the making
Mom of 2 crazy boys
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [jenrford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have had the copper IUD for two years now. I got it because I was nursing my son and didn't want hormones in there messing up my supply. <edit>
Go for the non-hormonal! :)
Important to understand that the Mirena has only progesterone impregnated into the device--and this is released *locally* and primarily to just affect the endometrium. Very low incidence of any systemic side effects---and progestins actually have been shown to *increase* milk supply.
Mirena is the bomb! ;-)
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it! I love it! I had no libido with OC, it's back now and I like the idea that I have to do absolutely nada outside of my yearly check up to be worry free. I've had it since November. I haven't lost my period, it's REALLY light and lasts about a week, no big deal. It's great!

Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuvaring is fantastic. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nuvaring is fantastic. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive...

Jodi
Yep, another good choice, Jodi. Do tons of that also. Can leave it in 4wks and just do continuously for however long you want--
HC

Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've looked into and tried a lot of birth control options -

I had a low libido on the pill.

Even though I wasn't necessarily personally frightened of the higher clotting risk on the patch, it pissed me off that the ortho evra company held the public release of this info.

I was excited about the IUD option a few years ago but doctors were somewhat reluctant to give me an IUD as I haven't had kids yet. Since I definitely want children, I decided not to risk it. Anyone here in the medical field have a different opinion about this?

I've finally settled in on the Nuvaring and am very happy. Although it still makes me uncomfortable to think of being on exogenous hormones for at least 15 years straight (I started at 18 and plan to wait until my early 30s for kids), it's definitely the best choice... until they finally come up with something for the mens :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next