Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giving up diet Coke [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here I am. Day 1 of no Diet Pepsi. I've never found myself craving it, but as we sit here discussing ordering lunch I think about how my lunch just won't be the same without it. Damn you and your deliciousness Diet Pepsi!
On another note... I've also developed a nasty habit of morning Mocha Frappuccino's. Not everyday, but often enough. I'm going to keep them in the mix this week just because of the drop of the pepsi, but they are on their way out too!

Quote | Reply
I am at two weeks w/o diet Coke!!!!!!! I have lost 5 lbs!!!!!!! AND my daughter told me(unsolicited) that my stomach looked great!!!!! I think I'm cured:)))))))))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! What do you attribute the weight loss to? I don't imagine it's calorie reduction, right? Maybe less fluid weight? Very curious to hear what you think. Way to go!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Determination???? Except for my Frito binge last night, I've pretty much cleaned up my diet. There are several others who have posted on this thread that have experienced similar results..........something about the bodies insulin response to the artificial sweetner is the same as to sugar.

I really need to get leaner to improve my run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, giving up the diet coke has caused to to eat cleaner, right? But just dropping diet coke, without making any other dietary changes, wouldn't do much from a weight standpoint, yes? Congratulations again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lurk mostly, and am late to this thread, but I was a diet coke junkie. I gave them up in January. I did clean up my diet, it cut my craving for sugar and I have dropped 7 pounds since January.

But like most recovering addicts, I had a dream about "using"! I dreamed I stopped by the Circle K ( a convenience store), bought the biggest size they had and slurped it down. I could hear the slurps in my dream, LOL...

Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two weeks in and it hasn't been that hard, but boy yesterday, after the racing at the track, I really wanted one. Didn't have one though. Had a Fat Tire instead! I definitely feel much less bloated and "ugh".

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, to be back in Texas, where Shiner is cheap, St. Arnold's is the local brewery, and FAT TIRE IS AVAILABLE! Some things are just better west of the Mississippi!

(Yes, I know you're in CA, but Fat Tire reminds me of summers in Houston -- it's 2d base in beer kickball!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am giving the no diet coke thing a shot. I am almost through day 1. Anyone want to be my "no diet coke" sponsor and help me through those hard times?
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOu can do it! Have a beer instead. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn... I wish I didn't hate beer. That would be a nice substitute haha.
I'm on day 6 right now. Been WAY easier than I ever thought it would be. Meal time is the only time I miss it, but that is passing too. I was lucky enough to not even get one headache through this whole thing. Of course, my body is really angry at me in all sorts of other ways.
GOOD LUCK!

Quote | Reply
I'll be your "sponsor":) I am going on three weeks and I feel great. That isn't to say I haven't wanted one.....esp after I swim AND Sunday morn I had a bit of a headache from too much fun Sat night!!!!!!!!! I haven't given in......trust me, if I can do this you can, too!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sponsor! I made it through day 1 successfully!! I am hoping it won't be so bad as I just drank 1.5 cans a day with lunch and dinner with the occasional 20 ounce in the car on long rides. I bought some seltzer water to help me through the first couple of weeks cause like an above poster I just really like fizzy things. So far it has been an ok substitute. I don't really like the taste but the fizziness seems to fulfill my need at meal times. And so far the headaches haven't been to bad but I still have my morning coffee which is likely helping with that. On to day 2!!

I have a feeling that eating out will be my biggest problem!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with Koala Springs (not sure if it's available everywhere). Has the fizz, but also offers a decent flavor without over calorizing <--- nice word, hey? haha. And you can dilute it with some soda water so there's even less calories, but still offers a decent flavor.

DAY 7! :D

Quote | Reply
LOL - I saw a cop smoking on the course too and thought the same thing "Screw this, I'm going back to being a smoker."

I smoked 8 years and still miss it all the time.. and occasionally screw up. I wonder if that urge ever goes away?

Nice job with the dc free living, ladies!

I joined the thread because I am giving up coffee. Today is day one. I am spending way too much money and I am calling it "breakfast" way too frequently. Having green tea and an apple for breakfast right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like anything the first few days are the worst!!!!! However......I am craving a d coke today......AND I am super tired!!!!!!! I will not get off the wagon, though:)))

Now, if I could stay away from the Julio's chips...........
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never been a "professional" smoker, just a drunk smoker. You know, the type that does a couple of shots and then smokes a pack!!!! I DO get how peopled can become addicted and how hard it would be to do without BUT we are better off, right??????

Green tea and an apple?? Good job......my oatmeal didn't last long enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wiped from a long training weekend so I'll cave this afternoon and get a latte for a pre-swim pick me up but noooo cookie! Salad and soup for lunch for recovery and nooooo cookie!

A little chocolate tonight though. Just a taste of the good dark stuff. Gotta keep some of it!

Where I'm currently working there are free sodas and it is tough not to go over to the kitchen and grab a DC. But, so far I've resisted.

It is a brand new week!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll chip in to this... couple years ago I used to drink diet coke, averaged 6 liters a day. Stopped cold turkey, got a few caffeine withdrawal headaches so I drank some tea.

It worked. Haven't touched it or any other soft drink since (although if I'm driving for awhile at night, I'll drink a redbull, but they taste awful).

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a Diet Coke junkie for sooooo long!! I have always been a little hypoglycemic, so I thought it would help regulate my sugar, but I believe that the artificial sweetener was tricking my brain. I craved more and more sweets all the time! I tried to convince friends and my MD, but no one was interested. Funny now they are doing research on the very subject.

I was also peeing 23 times in 24 hours!! Yes that's right!! I even went to a doctor who did all my labs...nothing. She said that there is a study that shows that Aspartame messes with your chemistry or bladdar or something and to try to switch. So I switched to Splenda and I noticed a huge change in a couple of days!
Now I have an occasional (once a week) Diet Coke with Splenda, but I drink so much more water now! I hardly ever crave sweets like I used to, and I use the bathroom maybe 12 times in 24 hours. I don't know if anyone else has that problem, but now I look for Aspartame in the product and avoid it! Chewing gum can have the same side effects!! It also dropped some mad weight off due to the lack of sweet snacking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made it through week 1!! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The hardest day was last Friday when we had lunch at Panera. Seeing the drink dispenser made me want a diet coke. I resisted and had a lemonade instead. That one lemonade was also the only drink I substituted for my diet coke that had extra calories and sugar. All other cases I had water or a seltzer water if I wanted bubbles. I haven't seen a significant weight loss or a curve in my sugar cravings but hopefully that will come as the weeks progress.

On to week 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I'm just coming up on week 2. I hadn't seen a significant weight loss or reduction of sugar cravings in week 1 either, but week 2 seems to have started these. I can't lie... this past week I had more chocolate than normal, but that was more of a choice than a craving thing. I also took in my regular calorie count this week and the scale is slowly but surely showing smaller numbers. Before it used to jump around like crazy, even showing a gain of 2 pounds in a day when I did nothing different. I am seeing, with patience, the benefits.
I still miss it with meals though! hah

Quote | Reply
Three full weeks for me. I've only craved Diet Pepsi a couple of times, but didn't drink any. I really wanted one after the bike race yesterday and another time later after a hard ride. I've been trying to drink more water. Less sugar cravings too, but I've been craving chips/salty like crazy. Down 10 pounds (which was mostly artificial/fluid I think) and also no crazy fluctuations (which before would be 3-8 pounds at a time)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy: Good for you with the DP. I have to say, when I kicked the Diet Coke (not by choice, was in Central America for 5 weeks and it was hard to find where I was so just inadvertant) I found the sugar cravings decrease but NOW I am a chip junkie! I don't know if it's cuz I'm training so much more but, man, I haven't seen a tortilla chip I didn't like. And a bucket o salsa to go along with it, now yer talking.

And really, I was the queen of the cane before -- those Trader Joe's meringue cookies were my fave, just mainline that sugar right in. Now I can stare at a tub with nary a twinge.

So not sure if the switched craving is no diet soda or age - related (read hormonal) or what.

Anyway thought it was interesting we were experiencing similarities after kicking the diet soda.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we can next switch from chips to veggies and fruit!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply

Prev Next