Login required to post replies

1/2 ironman run nutrition?
Quote | Reply
What do you do?

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 ironman run nutrition? [southerngal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink water, sports drink, and do 2-3 gels. I try to mostly drink water, as I tend to get headaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water, sports drink, 2 shot blocks (if I can stomach it) and salt if it is a hot day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last one I did flat coke. That lasted me just fine. And water. I would usually do sports drink but they were using HEED and I can't STAND that stuff.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  I have a big breakfast!!! Probably an eggbeater omlet and maybe some cereal w skim milk or a bagel with pb and J. I also have been known to eat a powerbar or clifbar if I'm in a hotel room and then have a can of ensure. Coffee!!! Before the swim I will use a gel and H2O. On the bike I use a variety of stuff. I may use 2 cans of ensure that's about 500 cals. I like to freeze it the night before so it's slushy for the ride. I also use 2 scoops of carb pro in each bottle of diluted gatorade. I'll take a H20 bottle during the ride also. I will have some cookies or crackers to nibble it depends if I decide to use the ensure or not. I can also eat pb and j sand on the bike. A lot of this depends on where I am staying. If I have a kitchen/freezer or not. For the run I may carry a bottle and fill it at the beginning so I don't have to stop at the aid stations and I'll use Gu along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopefully you will have eaten enough on the bike..cuz if you didn't you will have a tough time on the run.
i "eat" every 20min on the run....first aid station gel and water, next gatoraid (or what ever sports drink) and water.
if my stomach feels sloshy or i feel myself fading, i drink the flat coke or pepsi ...if they have it otherwise i stick with sports drink
and water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to eat on the bike - (I like shotblocks/sport beans and peanut butter-filled pretzels) so that on the run I can do mostly liquids and the occasional gel. I usually alternate between water and sports drink at aid stations, depending on how hot it is and how far apart they are - i.e. if they are every mile and it's not that hot then I don't drink at every aid station... I've only done two races, but so far this strategy has worked pretty well.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water, hammer gel, coke over the last 3-5 miles

Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 ironman run nutrition? [iggythecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water, Gu, whatever is at the aid station. I had 1/2 a banana at Oceanside- yes I ate a banana while I was running! It just looked soooo good!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good "clean" dinner ie chicken, rice, veggies. Cereal for breakfast, a gel 30 minutes before the start, then gel as soon as I get on the bike. I try to drink a bottle an hour, and a gel and hour while on the bike, maybe one more gel at the start of the run then liquids.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 ironman run nutrition? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to figure out how to minimize my intake on the run, sounds like I need to fuel up on the bike and the night am/before.

Thanks Again!

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your tummy gets sick, I highly suggest taking in some sort of sold food. Even if you feel like you wont be able to keep it down, take a couple bites of a bar. Also do this if for some reason you have developed an excreation problem.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commonly have GI distress in my races, but yesterday (St. Croix) went well (minor issues 1 hr after finishing).
This is what I did yesterday for St. Croix:
Breakfast: a can of meal replacement (similar to Ensure) plus a yogurt and coffee.
Swim: A little saltwater ; ).
Bike: 2 scoops Revenge Pro (100kcal); 4 scoops MarkAllen blend Infinite plus water; 6 clif blok (actually 5 [1 fell off] plus a little dirt from the road to add some texture).
Run: Gatorade endurance at every aid station (thank God they were every 0.6mi), plus water (espec on my head); flat coke in the last 3 miles; 1 clif blok (too hard to chew when I'm gasping for air).
I was quite happy with that plan. I'm staying away from gels on the run, as I think they don't sit well with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perpetuem is a great product by hammer nutrition. One bottle per hour on the bike, an occasional gel when you need it and then you can just drink water and have a gel every 4-5 miles on the run...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make a superconcentrated flask of infinit and pour it into water at the aid stations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply