Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit in Greenville SC Area
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a a tri bike fit in the Greenville, SC area. I understand that a John Cobb Bicycle Sports shop is opening up in Atlanta, GA (2 hrs south of Greenville) in a few weeks and I also understand that Right Gear north of Charlotte, NC (2 hrs north of Greenville) does a good job.
Does anyone have another recommendation in the area?
If not, does any one have a experience with either of these two fit systems.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit in Greenville SC Area [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMH-

I am looking at a possible relocation to Greenville/ Spartanburg area, what is the triathlon scene like down there? Any clubs, lots of races??

Kraig
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit in Greenville SC Area [Kirby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the area in which I learned to race way back in the early/mid 80's. They used to have a wonderful race program run by the Greenville Spinners. I hope they still have it.

I've been fit by Jim at Right Gear in Concord, it's north of Charlotte...it's more like almost 3 hours away from Greenville, especially with the road construction going on I-85. Jim's an expert at it, works with some top level amatuers and used to work with some amatuers that are now pros (George Hincape, for one), and is VERY sure about what he is doing...not much room for discussion once he measures you and sets you up. He'll basically tell you what he thinks you should be doing, and that you may not be able to do it all at once, but that you should work to do what he says is the best position for you. Short, to the point, takes 30 minutes or less. He's very precise with his measurements and calculations. His motto is: "One good measurement is worth 10,000 expert opinions." He's also very dry-witty, and educated...interesting conversationalist. If this appeals to you, I think it still only costs $50.00 for a fitting.

On the other hand, John Cobb would be hard to NOT go to, if he were available locally. I have no idea what he charges. I'd like to have Mr. Cobb look at my position.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit in Greenville SC Area [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live in charlotte and would recommend Thad Fisher at Bicycle SPorts on Selwyn Ave. I understand George Hincapie's brother lives in Greenville and is connected with the bicycling community in some way as well; I'm sure he could make local recommendations as well. Greenville is a great place and a well-kept secret; you shouldn't have to go outside it to get a proper set-up unless your dimensions are unusual.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit in Greenville SC Area [Kirby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.

Kraig,

Greenville is a great place for Triathlon. We have some of the best road cycling around-- good hills and great weather-- and a very active tri club. You should check out www.triclub.org it is the Upstate Tri Club's website. You will find a calendar on the site with a list of local triathlons. Also check out www.set-upinc.com for their list of races. Set-up does a good job with their events. There is a very active cycle club that has weekly races as well.

Also, Keith's Tri Shop is just across the state line in NC, about 1/2 hour from Greenville, for any tri specific stuff you may need.

It is hard to beat Greenville for training environment and race availability.
Quote Reply