Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giving up diet Coke [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, haven't read all responses, but holy cow, you and clm both taking the plunge! right on! i'm fighting the urge to freaking smoke cigarettes (WTF, right?) so please know you are not alone.

haven't read all responses, but i was on here whining like crazy over having to reduce coffee. green tea was by far the best "substitute" to keep my body from a full fledge flip out. green tea with honey will help you not withdrawl so harshly. it has only a touch of caff in it, but add a little honey and this will help take that horrible edge off. i swear by it, and tomorrow plan on drinking more to get me through this weird smoking urge (BTW, i quit over 10 years ago, so double WTF. addictions can be so weird).

anyway, other teas will work similarly if you don't like green tea. sure, many argue green tea has the most benefits, but i've also found lemon or orange tea and honey to cure a sugar craving very well too.

caff withdrawl is no joke. i wish you and clm the best--you can do it. and i just did it, going from at least 3 giant mugs chock full of straight up espresso to 1 mug americano and no sugar. you can do it, you can do it!

and lastly, FWIW, vitamins helped me too. i wouldn't have thought so, but B complex and a whole food vitamin really really helped me balance out my emotions.

good luck!!!! keep us posted, for reals!
joanne
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 22, 08 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kitty, i agree, the smoking urge is a really tough one. i farted around with cigarettes for years but being clean is so much better!! you can do it!! an aromatherapist suggested clary sage oil. it really really worked for me. they also make cinnamon toothpicks to chew on in case your oral thing is getting to you. they're pretty good, too.

good work ironclm & tab on the diet stuff. never really had an addiction to it but my daughter had one bad.

my thing is high-test beer. the full-bodied hoppy bitter kind. we have one here called Zeus Juice which has 9.8 percent alcohol which is even better'n choklit. Aargh. i have a thing about my *real beer.* unfortunately, every sip is landing on my arse. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, dreamin~big.......a diet coke addiction is one thing........good full bodied beer another!!!!!!!!! Not willing to give up the beer. Of course I haven't been drinking beer morning, noon and night, just night:)))

Last night was better for me.....I was able to sleep and did not wake up with a splitting headache.

Kitty Cat.....walk away from the cigs. I've thought many times how easy it would be to pick up a pack and get started........but none of us are here for the easy ride. WE are, certainly, in better shape and, definatly, smell better!!!!!!! However, the cop sitting at the bike turn around in AZ was puffing away....on my third loop I seriously considered asking if I could join him!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My coach told me he'd fire me if I gave up beer. Just sayin'.......

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tab, you crack me up. i will never forget what you've said. on the 3rd loop you wanted to join the fuzz for a smoke. LOL, that is hilarious! thanks for sharing. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be joining in on this torture as of....right now.

I had been thinking of really cleaning up my diet/nutrition for awhile now and Diet Pepsi is on the list to go.

After a tasty yet horribly bad for you lunch of McDonalds, Pop AND chocolate today, I have sworn off ALL of it till after my next 'big' race on May 25.

So for me, I'll be going through...

1) Diet Pepsi withdrawal - I drink maybe one/day, once in a blue moon, I'll have 2 during the day/evening.
2) Junk Food -all fast foods or bad for you restaurant food (like Creamy Spinach Dip, nachos etc)
3) Chocolate/Sweets/Candy.

What's left??! I rarely drink and when I do, I have 2 coolers and am drunk of my a**.

I've left in Cliff Bloks, Gels and my favorite recovery drink...chocolate milk. Gal's gotta have something to look forward to after a long run right??! :)

So, wish me luck, think I'll need it! And if anyone has some suggestions other then drinking tea, let me know. I don't like tea, selzter or coffee.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know Kittycat.....the things that go through your head during an IM!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irongirl.....welcome to the bandwagon. I, too, am trying to clean up my diet. I honestly think my run has been suffering because of it.

I was thinking about how long I've been drinking d coke and realised it's been 20 years or so......THAT is a true blue addiction!!!!!!! No wonder my body was/is going wtf!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gawd, are you trying to kill yourself? :)

ok here are some reco's.
-honey lemon water. hot water with lemon juice in it and some tea
-citrus fruits
-apples

do you like ginger candy? like those soft chewy ginger candy things by Reed's? those also help so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, you're all a bunch of bastards! :P I guess I'm officially working on cleaning up my diet now. I can't help it... I don't like real food. Gimme processed everything!
I decided that the diet pepsi will go next week so that I can give myself a week to process this change, as I hadn't really planned to do it. The junk food/candy will be a bit of a slower downgrade just so I don't make myself too crazy. The diet pepsi is such a staple in my world that it will be tough enough.
Thanks for the push in the right direction everyone. And thanks a lot for taking away what good I had left in my life hahah

Quote | Reply
"So, wish me luck, think I'll need it! And if anyone has some suggestions other then drinking tea, let me know. I don't like tea, selzter or coffee."

I need some suggestions too! Hate tea, quit the coffee, iffy on the seltzer... I have gone to drinking so much water I'm gonna float away! I'm trying to not drink a ton of calories - so the hot chocolate is out, etc. But some times you need something besides water... My daily glass of milk and the occasional glass of o.j. gets thrown in there, but not much else... wait, forgot about the beer and cocktails - but those are getting cut out slowly but surely too!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much!

The hard part is I am not a tea, coffee, selzter or any drink kind of gal. I like water, juice, milk and Diet Pepsi. Since I'm gradually losing weight, downing OJ and milk all the time aren't the best option!

Should be interesting, to say the least!

Today is the first full day of no pop, sweets or junk food.

Oh, but I will still drink my half a cup of Tim Horton's Cappacino - I get one about 2x/week. It's not a coffee drink, pretty much sugar and god knows what else. I figure that will be next, but not till I get through the next few weeks. I'm not quite that sadistic :)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two days down and not so hard. I've been drinking a lot more water and drank a mineral water one day to get that fizzy sensation.

I've also been logging everything I eat into fitday.com and that has also been eye opening. I totally slacked off in the desert (and ate way too much pasta), so it's back on the straight and narrow.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find if I put a splash of juice (cranberry, sometimes apple) or some lime/lemon in the water it makes it more appealing.

Good luck! I never had soda and didn't really like it, until I caught some of the diet coke taste from my fiance. Luckily it's still one of the every now and then things... just gotta keep it that way!

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this thread, I thought about cutting back on my diet coke drinking (1-2 per day) but then picked up a 12-pack at the grocery store this morning. The thought of getting through the huge project deadline without it was scary. Maybe next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to quit as well, but something I try to offset my addiction is seltzer water. One that I really like is Gerolsteiner and Perrier, but there are some in cans that are pretty good as well. This satisfies me about 90% of what a diet pepsi does and tastes a lot cleaner to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [Jagerstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, and I thought I had a bad habit drinking about 2 to 4 diet cokes (half liter) a week (which I'm trying to stop).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, it's been a week of no sodas at all and I've dropped 9 pounds from last Monday. I came back from Xantusia with seriously puffed up feet (like major airplane feet though I'd not been near one) and feeling like crap. I've been drinking a lot more water and have really only craved a Diet Pepsi twice--both times over the weekend after a hard session on the track and yesterday after the bike race. Instead, Saturday I had a beer and yesterday I had a bottle of bubbly water and a Red Bull.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think 3-4 cans/day is bad? I'm too embarrassed to say how much I drink. 4 cans/day is child's play :)
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 a day was just too much for me. It's been almost two weeks and I feel great!!!!!!!! The headaches are gone and I've been sleeping great!!! who knew????``
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa whoa whoa... did you give up regular "soda" (pop! :P) as well, or were you only drinking diet? If you are telling me that you lost 9 pounds by dropping diet pop then I will stop drinking it immediately. I've been struggling with whether I actually want to give it up or not (I only drink it with some meals, but I do love it!), but that would sell me!

Quote | Reply
Only diet. I only drink regular in a race. I had been feeling way bloatly since I drank a lot of it last week (and about 6 of them on the drive home from the desert). I was up about 15 pounds over a short period of time and since I'm leaning out in the legs, but was bloated in the gut and feet, I knew something was amiss. My ankles are back, thank goodness.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been feeling rather bloaty lately too (excellent word, by the way!). Alright, I'm sold. I'm trying it. I had an unfortunate incident (or three) yesterday with chocolate bars, chips and candy so I wasn't able to start right away. I have one can of Diet Pepsi left in my fridge at home. Once it's gone, tonight, that's it!

Quote | Reply
I had a terrible incident with a Jamba Juice and a Specialties warm peanutbutter and choc. chip cookie on Saturday night. I was so sick from all the sugar I had a hard time falling asleep. Bloated like a balloon. Cutting way back on sweets for sure!

For a long time I only drank soda when I went out to eat which was only once or twice a month. Then, I recently started drinking one daily in the afternoons. I stopped 2 weeks ago and feel better but now I've started working again and I get a morning and afternoon latte. I'm doomed.

In the spirit of cutting back on the things that are bad for us, I commit 100 calories of less of high quality chocolate at night (far less than usual) and only one double latte in the morning (right now I'm having a triple in the am and a double in the pm.) After a long workout, 3+ hours, I get one regular cold Coke. That's it.

That right there is a lot of calories saved!

Thanks for the inspiration girls!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Apr 28, 08 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i went pretty close to cold turkey on diet coke, when i realized how bad aspertame is for you. like others have said, it seemed to cause me MORE sugar cravings. I do now drink coffee, but i think that is ok because it is natural, and i don't drink it everyday or a lot at one time. I no longer crave diet coke at all, and it tastes very fake.

I usually, as a rule, don't totally cut anything out from my diet. when i am training hard i get very specfic, odd cravings. for 6 months i wanted a piece of dark chocolate everyday, so i let myself have a small square. i don't think i was getting enough fat at the time, and the chocolate craving showed that. now, i really am not finding myself wanting it at all, but i am desperate for those natural potato chips, so i let myself have one of the small 1-serving bags from time to time. i have been eating lots of salad with chicken, and turkey sandwiches, niether of which have a lot of salt, so i am probably getting less salt, thus craving the chips. this system seems to work for me, because i crave one thing at a time, allow myself a small amount of it, and then go on with my healthy eating for the day. if i try to be TOO strict, i end up throwing it all to the wind and having and entire meal that isn't good for me (translate: nachos)

also, for those giving up junk food type items, i find it helpful to have "treats" in the fridge that i really like, but that are healthy. if you can afford it, buy some strawberries, or a special flavored hummus. you can look forward to those as a treat, without reaching for what you are trying to not eat. i am lucky enough that my boyfriend eats pretty well, and with no kids, i don't have tempting things lying around.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply

Prev Next