Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giving up diet Coke
Quote | Reply
Have any of you tried to do it????? I think it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. I haven't had one since last Wed and I have been having terrible headaches and have been awfullly grumpy. I know part of the grumpiness is part of the post IM AZ funk. I promised myself after AZ I would quit drinking diet Cokes. I was drinking 3 a day to help me make it through the day. I didn't want to throw my body out of whack before AZ( I know I shouldn't have let my habit get out of hand). I came very close to a Kona slot and am determined to tweak my diet before my next IM. It is so hard.........I swear they put crack in it!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was the same way with regular coke, 3 - 4 cans a day, easy. It was one of my greatest addictions for sure, I couldn't think without it. Unfortunately my method to stop is difficult, but I quit cold turkey. That was difficult and I failed twice along the way. But eventually I stuck it out. 2 after quitting, I had a coke and hated it (ohh thank god). It has been 2 years now and I don't even consider, to be honest, once I got over the coke mountain my diet became a lot easier to improve and I eat extremely well now.
It's one of the worst products out there, quit now and don't look back.
(I realize cold turkey is the way you don't want to hear, but ...)
Last edited by: Jagerstar: Apr 21, 08 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you substitute something else, herbal iced tea, sparkling water with a little juice, to help you through?

I gave it up several years ago, but I only drank one a day. Someone told me how horrible aspartane is and that did it for me.

You can do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [Jagerstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold turkey is the only way for me. I can't think of any time in my life, except the two times I was pregnant, that I've done without it!!!!!!!!!!! I know I CAN and I WILL.........it just feels yucky!!!!!!

Q Girl, I have been reading about how bad all the "stuff" in Diet Coke is. I got really mad and determined after that:)))))))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up Diet Dr. Pepper and I still crave one every time I'm in the grocery store and I see a cold one in a the fridge by the check out line. What helped me get over my addiction was drinking lots of seltzer water in substitution for the soda. I found it wasn't so much the caffeine I was addicted too but I just like to have carbonation in what I drink (I'm think about buying one of those little hand held things where you can carbonate just about anything).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going cold turkey on Diet Pepsi, beginning today. I told myself that last week in the desert would be the last week of drinking it. Good luck to both of us!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up soda a few years ago and quite honestly, it was one of the hardest things EVER! I was a Diet Coke junkie ;) I was pretty useless for a couple of weeks! Lots of headaches and NO energy. After a couple of weeks...all better! Unfortunately, I have gone back to one diet soda daily though (yikes) They are crazy addictive! Good luck! Hang in there. It will get better :)
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG, I'm glad someone else is going through this!!!!!!! Nothing like a total shock to the body.......recover from an IM AND give up Diet Coke!!!!! I'll be your support group.

Trigirl 22........The headaches were really starting to bug me......glad to know they aren't uncommon.

It's going to be worse when I get back in the pool. For some reason I crave one after a swim!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also crave a diet soda after a tough workout. Sometimes I can't get to a gas station fast enough for a diet dew after a long workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oy vey...giving up diet coke was hard. As I get older (sigh), caffeine affects me more and more. Afternoon diet coke consumption was affecting my sleep. I too kicked it cold turkey. After a couple of weeks, I was normal. Now, every once in a great while, I get a diet, caffeine-free coke...but I usually don't even finish it...What is the point? I still do coffee in the early morning though.

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have all just inspired me to give up my nasty habit. While I have cut down in the last little while, I still drink a ton! Now the only question is, is it better to do it now (next week so I can wrap my head around this new plan) or wait until after IMC (yes I know it's a long way off) so that I don't f up my training by being all tired and headachey?

Quote | Reply
It's the opposite as I get older...caffeine seems to affect me less and less. I could have a few cans of diet coke/diet dew while laying in bed and it wouldn't affect me one bit....I'd drift off to sleep like nobody's business. Safe to say I'm probably addicted. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give it up now.....it will only help you. I am doing AZ again in the fall and planned to have the diet totally dialed in. I figure I have another week of going through d coke withdrawls then I will be ok!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait...wait...this is one of the hardest things you've ever had to do?

you, my friend, have lead a charmed life.

;)

riding up the galibier is hard...finishing at kona is hard...giving up diet coke? not hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [caffetrieste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep up the good work!!! I have recently given up regular coke. OK, so I'll likely cave and have one a week maybe.
My husband is the bad influence there, he's got a coke a day habit.
I never did go in for the diet stuff, it tasted too funky to me and then I read up on all the horrors of artificial sweeteners! Read up on some of that stuff via the internet and it may help your motivation! Once you get over the hump you'll be much much happier without that soda habit!
You can do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [caffetrieste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!! Fair enough.......it's the hardest thing I ever tried to cut out of my diet!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was so excited to see your post. Today is Day 1 without it. I saw a Naturopath last Friday and she told me lots of things but right near the top was giving up Diet Coke. I am determined to make changes and get my nutrition in order. My sleep is pretty bad too so this can only help. Not looking forward to the headaches though. So far so good, but it has only been half a day since my last "fix".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there ya go..much better!

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up Diet Coke before IMAZ (a year ago I was easily drinking a 6 pack a day), but the last week have let myself eat anything and everything I wanted. This included diet coke. I was awake until 3AM last night because of it. So, I too am giving it up again starting today. I'm already craving it too!

Last time I drank Kombucha tea and I had ZERO cravings for diet coke. It's a fermented tea. I like the taste of the tea, so it was easy to substitute. It's a little expensive, but it was worth it for me. I really like how the tea makes me feel, so now I brew my own at home. You can find the tea at most healthfood stores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong... I AM NOT EVER giving up coffee!!!!!!!!!!!! So no worry about the caffeine headaches.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have any of you tried to do it????? I think it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. I haven't had one since last Wed and I have been having terrible headaches and have been awfullly grumpy. I know part of the grumpiness is part of the post IM AZ funk. I promised myself after AZ I would quit drinking diet Cokes. I was drinking 3 a day to help me make it through the day. I didn't want to throw my body out of whack before AZ( I know I shouldn't have let my habit get out of hand). I came very close to a Kona slot and am determined to tweak my diet before my next IM. It is so hard.........I swear they put crack in it!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever been 'addicted' like many of you have experienced, but I have cut soda out of my diet. I grew up with parents who ONLY drink diet soda, never ever water (it's bizarre!). I just try to think about how much better water is for me, and that usually does the trick. Every once in awhile I will have an Izze soda for a carbonation craving - but it is just fruit juice and carbonated water. All natural and no caffeine. GOOD LUCK!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Kamboucha is an acquired taste. I know how good it is for you so I think I need to give it another try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cravings and caffeine withdrawls will go away soon!! I gave up caffeine and soda March 1 - it took a couple of weeks for the cravings to go away, a week or so for the sluggishness to hit, and then a week for that to go away. I have had a couple of caffeine free diet pepsi's in cocktails a couple of times, but the biggest part for me was the caffeine and amount of sugar laden coffee I was drinking. I thought I was good - until I had this crazy Starbucks dream last night and they just wouldn't serve me my coffee... I woke up mad wanting a latte! Pretty sad! But for the most part, by the 2-3 week post give up period, I was good. Hang in there!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will never stop drinking coffee but I did give up diet soda back in August. I just decided I wanted to try Paleo for Athletes and wanted to clean up my diet. I did lose quite a bit of weight once I dropped the diet soda. This is only my only little hypothesis, but I think artificial sweetener messes up our bodies' ability to recognize high calorie food and moderate intake of that high calorie food. If you allow yourself to indulge your sweet tooth all the time (whether it is artificial or real it is still engaging your sweet receptors, isn't it??) then perhaps your body loses some ability to help you regulate sugar cravings? I don't know..I am just blabbing here! But I feel good that I no longer buy soda at the store. That's enough reason, I guess.
I did, however, have an unexpected craving for a coke yesterday on a 100 miler. Never had a craving for coke before, especially on a ride. I indulged myself and it was gooooooooooddddddd!!!!!!!!!

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up diet Coke [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Think a REAL coke during a 100 miler is warranted!!!! I sure was slamming them at the aid stations in AZ last week. I have made it through another day, so far, BUT my wicked headache has returned. I have never had headaches like this, this many days in a row.......I'm about ready for it to end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next