Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Needing Motivation
Quote | Reply
Hi all-
So I'm new to this forum and have just been reading threads here and there as I gear myself towards training for my first triathlon (sprint distance in the fall). I'm running a half marathon in 6 weeks though and my motivation is seriously lacking at this point. I had a bit of an injury set back a week ago due to this Corporate Challenge thing here in Vegas. First it was my right achilles and calf being super tight and sore and then shin splints came back with a vengeance (I had them in high school playing soccer) during the soccer tournament last week (5 games in 4 nights). I haven't run outside of the soccer tournament in a week! And it definitely hurt to walk when I woke up Saturday and Sunday mornings (the heels at my friend's wedding Saturday night didn't help much). My achilles and calf are feeling better as is the shin since I haven't done much since Friday night besides play tourist with my sister being in town. Any suggestions to get myself motivated again?? I'm a little worried I won't be ready for the half marathon in 6 weeks if I don't kick my butt in gear.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Needing Motivation [simple2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get in to get a sports massage?? Or have some ART? I think it will help a lot with the pain. If I'm hurt I don't like to train. It's just no fun to be in pain after training too. Once the pain is gone your motivation should come back. Have you been changing your running shoes every 300 miles?? Six weeks is enough time to get ready if you have a base.
ps welcome to the forum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the battles with shin splints/achilles/tight calf issues as well, so I know how discouraging they can be. If you can't do the ART/sports massage route, I have been using the TP massage ball and stretching much more regularly with really good results. I still get some serious knots in my calves, but my achilles issues are much better and I haven't had shin splints in forever. While you're rehabbing this, I'd suggest starting back in with run/walk workouts initially - for me these were a lot easier to motivate than going out for a run, having it start hurting too much so I'd stop running and feel like a failure. Adding in some cross-training swims and easy spins on the bike will help as well.

Initially, it's really just a matter of making yourself get out there for the first couple of weeks. Once you get past that two week barrier, things will start to feel better and it will get easier to motivate. And honestly, if the half is stressing you out more than it's motivating you, skip it. Set your sites on a different goal that excites you and makes you want to get out and train.

Take care and good luck!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Needing Motivation [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoes are practically brand new..just bought them about 6 weeks ago. What killed me the most was the soccer tournament. I hadn't played in about a year and the fields are rock solid (its Vegas...can't really expect anything but rock solid fields) and I was playing in my indoor shoes although I don't think cleats would have helped much since neither provide a whole lot of support. I had shin splints really bad in high school (missed over a week of practices when I first got them from the pain) and I learned to adapt and play through the pain (lots of ibuprofen and ice). I don't have a TON of base as I've only been working out consistently for the past 8 weeks. Before that, I hadn't done anything in over a year! Ran a 5k 2 weeks ago...27:12, which I thought was good for me considering I hadn't been working out for very long. I've been trying to run on asphalt instead of concrete sidewalks because its slightly better than concrete and I would prefer grass, but this is Vegas we're talking about so not much grass out here. I couldn't even run the Corporate Challenge 5k this past Sunday because my legs were hurting so bad. Sucks too because I could have placed in my age group and gotten points for my team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, you are probably in somewhat decent shape, right? So, take a few days, time off, yoga, whatever. Try running again, slowly, less minutes/miles prior. Take each training day as a test to see how you feel, etc. Do what you can and leave the rest behind until you can manage more.
Quote Reply
Re: Needing Motivation [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went out for a real easy 15 minute jog after work. Definitely felt it in my left shin and right achilles during my warm-up. After I stretched a bit, my achilles felt pretty good for most of the jog, but still not 100%, but my shin was definitely in pain the entire time. I've been icing it on and off since I got back and stretched. Luckily this week is a light week in my schedule since I was supposed to run a 5k this past Sunday so tomorrow is a "rest" day with only a core workout and some other light weights. I know I can get through the pain as I've done it before. Its just super frustrating and so hard to go out and run when I know its going to hurt. And I'm sure a lot of its in my head too as there are times when I'm like "oh I still have 6 weeks, I'll be good" and then other times I'm like "oh crap...only 6 weeks..I'm never going to be ready". I think I really just need to focus on something a little closer, which for me is the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k that I'm throwing into the mix in 2 1/2 weeks. Interestingly enough, my grandmother (who is battling breast cancer) will be in town that day! =) I think if I just focus on that race and trying to best my last 5k time, I will be okay and hopefully my shin will start being nice to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your running store offer a gait analysis? Most decent stores will watch you run on a treadmill and then offer the best shoe for your running style. They look at foot strike, pronation etc. This could help as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Needing Motivation [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...they did that when I bought my shoes and I even mentioned to them that I had shin splints in the past.
Quote Reply