Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition Question
Quote | Reply
I need some advice here. I'm really irritated lately and just can't figure out this nutrition thing out. So much, that I've called my old nutritionist to make an appointment with her. So far, I'm training for my second IM and I journal my food intake every single day. What I have noticed the past 3 weeks.. after heavy weekend workouts-- I don't get it how some of you have to struggle to keep weight on while training.

On monday morning my weight pops up a few lbs. With that being said.. I usually am eating between 15-2000K every day. I just don't get it. Anyone offer ideas or advice? I'm desperate.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Question [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exactly is the problem? Are you concerned with weight gain? My weight is up and down continuously. I swing 3 - 4 lbs a week all the time. I'm always up after a long run. I just figured it's my body holding onto some extra water. It almost always comes off a few days later.

If you're concerned about your weight, then definitely talk to your nutritionist and possibly your doctor, but it sounds like you're just stressing about normal weight fluctuations. Are you at a healthy weight? If so, then stop worrying about the number on the scale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happens to me. After a hard/long training weekend my weight can go up 5-7 lbs for a few days before settling back down to normal....like DawnT said, I just always assume it is water weight. This freaked me out a few years ago when I first notice it but now I don't worry about it - it's just the way it is :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan - I recommend getting a body fat scale like this one from Tanita. The measurement of % body fat may be off (e.g., it may read a little high), but, it will be consistent (i.e., it will ALWAYS be a little high or a little low), which is all you need. However, it is not the % body fat feature that is important in this case, it is the hydration level reading. The scale will scroll through a number of things including weight, % body fat, and hydration level.

What I notice is, the day after a really hard, long workout, my weight may be up a couple lbs, my % body fat will be down 1-3 % and my hydration level will be up 1-3%. The body fat measurement is impacted by hydration level. So, when hydration is up above normal, you are retaining water, thus the body fat reading will be low.

So, the benefit of the scale is that you can see WHY your weight is off normal. Also, you can see WHEN you are retaining water and WHEN you are dehydrated.

From my experience, the more sore I am (e.g., day after my long run), the more my hydration level goes up. Damaged muscles, trying to rebuild themselves, retain water like crazy. So, the scale helps you identify when this is happening and makes it easier to understand the weight readings.

Here are the scales. I have the [Edit: I have the 554, not the 549, which I identified in my original post]. I like the 554.

http://www.tanita.com/IronManScales.shtml

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 14, 08 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me TOO!!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Question [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me three. I'm up 3 pounds after a huge volume weekend. I figured it was the water/mucsle swelling. I'm quite sore today from running really hard for 2 legs of a relay yesterday after a hard 4 hour ride on Saturday and 3 hour run on Friday. I'm ignoring the scale today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Question [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good God. It pays to know that I'm in the same boat as others. I am thinking I need to throw the damn scale out and not worry about it so much. After 2 years of training for IM's-- I seriously thought I would be a ball of muscle and be 1000% cut. Hardly the case. I feel as though I was in better shape when I just did marathons and running 40ish mpw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think you need to eat more. 1500-2000 calories is what normal people should eat. you are training for an Ironman. Your body will conserve energy if it's not getting enough. Your metabolism slows way down. But the key is to eat the right foods.

I lost 45 lbs training for IMAZ. I ate a LOT. But it was very healthy high nutrient foods. I have a couple of friends who seriously cut their caloric intake when training for IMs and gained weight, they watch in amazement at how much I eat.

I ate a ton of fresh fruits/veggies. Almost 2 servings with each meal. I really changed my diet substantially and found that I lost weight, but still had energy because I was eating the right stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi NYJan! I'm more like you in that I didn't really lose weight during IM training - I felt very cheated!! My body did change shape though! During long rides/runs, the rough rule of thumb my coach gave me was about 1gram/kilo/hr of carb. I used either energy bars, gels or electrolyte. I simply can't (and won't) deprive myself of food! I tried to make sure I always made healthy choices! Some people seem to have super-speedy metabolisms that go in to overdrive during training - I'm not one!

Enjoy your training.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Question [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You nailed it....this go round, I'm determined to eat right- more fruits and veggies and not crap. I know that too little calories will cause bad things too, so am planning on adding apples, oranges, strawberries, cherries, etc as my afternoon snacks when I'm craving sweet and add veggies in the am times and evenings when I am hungry.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply