Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap Pro OR CompuTrainer??
Quote | Reply
If you had the cashola to blow on a either a PowerTap Pro or a CompuTrainer.. which would it be??

mike
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap Pro OR CompuTrainer?? [stretch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the computrainer is much heavier to take out on the road :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends where you live...

Bad weather,much time indoors, long winter=Computrainer

Good weather, much time outdoors, eternal spring=Powertap

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take is that the CT works especially well as a controlled environment semi-scientific ergometer. I've had one for 4 years now. What I'll also say is that you need to have and stick with a plan for using it. Otherwise it becomes a REALLY expensive mag trainer. I'd recommend reading up on training with power and maybe even using a coach. To be honest, I don't think I was really getting my $$ worth out of it prior to hiring a coach who tracks and prescribes specific power-based workouts for me to do on the CT every week.

That said, I have also just ordered a PT Pro. While I am making serious headway using the CT, and I have been known to ride on one for 4.5 hours at a time, that becomes a very MENTAL workout. There just aren't enough cycling videos out there to entertain me week in and week out while cycling indoors. It starts to take the fun out of training after a while. Nothing can replace being out on the road. I'm looking very forward to transferring most of my bike workouts to the open road. Not only that, my long workouts will now be power based rather than HR based. Power seems much more precise to me, as far as accomplishing workout intent. I'll probably only use HR only in the offseason now when I need the effort to stay really low.

Although I'm still waiting delivery of my PT Pro, I have to recommend that piece first. As the first response noted, the CT is hard to take out on the road. On the other hand, a mag trainer will still work with the PT, AND you'll get downloadable info from the PT regardless of whether you train indoors or out. I'm even thinking the PT might alleviate 90% of the need for a CT in the first place (although the spinscan is a great feature for teaching/learning proper pedal stroke. That is about the only thing you'd be missing)

My $.02
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap Pro OR CompuTrainer?? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tribriguy, who is your coach? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey TriBriGuy,

Interesting post. Can you give us some ideas of how to train with power (examples of workouts, ...).

Thanks a lot,

Laurent
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap Pro OR CompuTrainer?? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich Strauss, at www.CrucibleFitness.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a computrainer for about 7-8 years. It is a great piece of equipment if you use it. IMO it is the best indoor trainer you can have. The 3-D graphics and courses are great. Most of the time I have mine near a TV and just watch whatever. Lance Armstrong's Tour De France 2002 DVD is a must have for sure. The handle bar mount allows you to view your wattage and speed without having to hook up sensors.

The Only downside IMO is the trainer stand - IMO it is outdated and could be made better.

I have hear great things about the Powertap, but don't have any direct knowledge.

IMO I would opt for the computrainer for the simple fact that it can act like your own personal sports lab. You can play with different positions and setups viewing the effects on your Computer real time. You can also use the Spinscan to really tweak your pedal stroke. The New software now lets you create any course in the US. I am not sure what they have for the rest of the world though.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap Pro OR CompuTrainer?? [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the remark about the CT trainer stand. While the spin-locks are solid once you have the bike in them, they are slow to engage and the QR mounts tear up most newer style QR levers. I put an old Campy Nuevo Record QR on my rear when mounting it in my CT. Again, the mounts are solid and well built, but aggravating to use. Even the cheapest new wind trainer has mounts that are easier to use than the CT.
Quote Reply