Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest!
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies (and guys),
I have a dream to write a book someday. I have pasted the first chapter below. Please read it and be honest - Would you want to read a book that started like this? Constructive criticism is what I need.
If it sucks, say so, really.
Thanks.

Summer 1971
It was a typical summer day in Southern California – sunny and warm without a cloud in the sky. Up and down the street of our average, middle class neighborhood of rancher style houses in Huntington Beach there were children playing outside. They were everywhere - running around, playing tag and riding their bikes without helmets on. This was when children played outside – all day long - coming inside only after their mothers dragged them into the house when it got too dark.
My brothers and I were no exception and today we were playing on our front lawn. “Tag! You’re it”, Paul laughed as he brushed past me with his hand out. I giggled and sped up to catch Alan who was hiding behind the big palm tree. I chased him around and around until I got dizzy and stopped. Alan was still running around the tree and crashed right into me. “Tag! You’re It” I giggled as I ran away. “That’s not fair! You didn’t catch me”, Alan was trying not to laugh, but Paul and I were laughing hysterically.
Paul and Alan are fraternal twins and couldn’t be more different. Paul is quieter and calm– a type B personality. Alan on the other hand was Type A all the way- louder and more temperamental. While we had our typical sibling fights, we got a long very well and I loved them both the same.
We are practically triplets. After I was born on September 25, 1966, my mom became pregnant again six weeks later. My brothers were born 10 ˝ months later on August 9, 1967. I can only imagine what that was like for my mother as I wasn’t even out of diapers yet. So every year from August 9 to September 25 my brothers and I are the same age. In late August of 1971 were we all four years old.
As we continued to laugh and play, our dad came barging out of the house and made a beeline for his truck in the driveway. “Daddy, Daddy? Where are you going”? I asked as I ran up to him as he slammed the door shut. The window was open and he looked down at me. “I have to leave for a while, honey.” I looked back up at him. “Ok, Daddy. Bye!”
My dad didn’t come back that day. Or the next. I actually wouldn’t see him again for several years. Soon after my dad left, my mom couldn’t afford to live in that average, middle class neighborhood and we were forced to move into a more affordable lower class neighborhood in another part of the city. And just like that, my life would be forever changed, for better and worse.
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to critque writing, but I liked it and would keep reading if there was more.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The general scene setting is pretty good, though I find the whole Type A/ Type B, mom pregnant section a bit awkward in its placement, as it disrupts the flow of the narrative without adding anything. In a snippet like this it is difficult to say if that belongs here or a bit later.

I would question the use of past tense in the narrative - is there any reason you couldn't set the conversations or evolve the whole thing using present tense?

Punctuation - lose the hyphens - this is not an e-mail/chat. Good sentence structure should almost never require them.

You could also tighten the wording in places. Lose some modifiers that don't add much, try not to repeat whole phrases etc. The text will flow faster and keep the reader engaged.

For a rought first draft, it is not bad, mostly needs a bit of tightening. But really I would need to see more to give you some advise.

Note I did freelance editing for Canadian Geographic as a supplement to grad school. That is more of a narrative non-fiction style, so I have some biases.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your feedback, I will definately use your advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to send a whole chapter - I can do a sample edit on it for you. It is a good learning experience. Biggest thing is not to take it too personally (hard thing for aspiring authors to learn - I always found it tough), and secondly, a good editor will be concerned on form and flow, and not content. Too many try to change the message. A hard thing for editors to learn is to stay neutral. Their job is to suggest changes, and you are completely free to ignore them if you feel it does not suit your aims as a writer.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not an editor or an English major or anything even close to someone who should be giving advice to a writer. However, I do enjoy reading and you did ask for our opinions, so I'll give you mine. The setup to the story that you gave is interesting, but it was a bit predictable. I like stories that actually make you think. How about the kids playing a game other than tag? Something you've really got to think back to remember. Add some detail to the neighborhood that brings back things most of us have forgotten about that time. What music was playing, what car was the Dad driving, what bikes were the kids riding, etc. Put us in the story with more description of the surroundings. The introduction and description of the twins is also very predictable. Make it different and more interesting. Lastly, I think I would have started with the Dad leaving and then develop the rest of the chapter. Contrast the horrible fact that the Dad left (and wasn't coming back) to the wonderful day of outside play the kids were having.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The idea of having characters that are Irish twins (or triplets) is intriguing...that dynamic will be interesting to develop.

I do think the whole explaining of the brith order, etc. is a bit awkward in its placement--almost seems like you're trying to cram too much information into the firts couple of paragraphs. Let it unfold naturally--don't force your readers into a glut of information.

Along with that, make your readers work a bit...challenge them, don't give them Dick and Jane and their dog Spot. The eventual plot may be all fine and crafty and intriguing--but this is all a bit...mmm...vanilla? If what you're trying to set up is the "normalness" of the world you (the protagonist) were in, the actual "vanillaness" of it, to contrast strange events later on (i.e. dad abducted by alients wearing galoshes and humming Japanese kabuke music) then I can see where you're going with it...but you'd want to make it less generic, if that makes sense. Dawn had a right-on suggestion when she said make the kids not playing tag.

If your goal is to set a scene of bucolic vanilla-ness, do it without being cliche or overused. Does that make sense?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do some freelance writing for consumer pubs but that is very different from fiction so take this for what it's worth. My quick opinion is that the details need to be fleshed out more to make the readers connect with the story that's being told. For someone who's never been to Huntington Beach make us understand what it's like there. Perhaps average middle-class is different then what is average middle-class in Indiana? Could you ride your bike to the local 7-11 or was there a highway nearby you couldn't cross. Did some kids have backyard pools (above or below ground) and could you hear the sounds of children playing in the water in the distance? Flesh out all the little details so that by the end of Chap 1 we feel like we know these people and have some sort of emotional connection to them. I would also perhaps flesh out the relationship with the father (or perhaps you do that in later chapters) so that we can understand the toll it took on the family not only emotionally but mentally. If you're trying to do this from the perspective of a child you could always say the fact that after dad left you sometimes heard her crying late at night or talk about a time she flew into a rage at something or another. Bringing out the emotions will also help the reader feel emotions for the characters. Course the hardest part of all of this is that you want to drop those details in subtly so it's almost like the reader "finds" these little gems that presents them with the whole picture rather than simply stating - we lived in on street x, had a pool, mom had brown hair, blue eyes, etc...

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Show, don't tell."

Fabulous advice. :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thank you very much. I appreciate everyone's input. I have already started a second draft based upon what everyone has said so far.
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to mention show, don't tell as well.

One other thing with first person POV is to always be aware of how your lead character really would be thinking.

Awkward infodump:

I'm five foor eight, have short blonde hair, green eyes, and usually wear jeans and a sweatshirt.

_How many times would something like that go through your head in daily life? (unless you're a narcissist)

Creating a relevant time to use that description:

He'd dumped me, and it hurt. And I've never been one of those people that likes to be alone when they're sad, so I decided to go out to dance away my sorrows. I pulled off my usual jeans and sweatshirt, and replaced them with a short dress that showed off my long legs at their best. The barette came out my my short blonde hair, and I worked some gel through the bob to give it more body. Make-up followed. Not too much, but the mascara emphasized my green eyes, and a little bit of blush gave my cheeks a good contrast to the eyes and green dress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I third? the "show, don't tell" advice. The reader should be able to "see" the scene clearly. What color is the grass, does it smell freshly cut, how blue is the sky..all that kind of stuff. Also, I've also been told that back story (mom pregnant, etc.) shouldn't be spelled out so much. It's not really necessary and the details can come out in the flow of the narrative-the same thing-show us, don't tell us.

There wasn't a lot of dialog, but when you do more the best advice I ever heard was to literally say it out loud. if it sounds awkward when you say it, re-write it!

Finally, not sure where you live, etc...but have you signed up for a writing class? Local community college or adult schools often have decent fiction classes. When I lived in rural PA I took an online fiction class at Gotham writing classes (http://www.writingclasses.com/) that was really, really good. Lots of great critiquing and the instructor was a published fiction writer who really nailed things.

I too am an aspiring author-it's on the HUGE list of things I want to do in my life. Although right now that is low on the list and haven't written for a while.

Good luck and stick with it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Re: A favor to ask: Please critque my writing - be honest! [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take you up on that.

Because I read the newspaper everyday and my work I am used to thinking in the who, what, where, when mode. I am used to telling and not "showing" as a couple people mentioned I do. I appreciate that.

I will be honest, this passage just barely scratches the surface of the entire story. I spoke with my Mom for two hours last night about this incident, my childhood, why my father left and how it affects who I am today.

I am just beginning my journey and hope by writing about my past it can help me understand who I am today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To go in a completely different direction, I say keep writing. Just get it on paper! I write a lot for work and a fair amount for pleasure, and the hardest thing is getting SOMETHING (ANYTHING!) on the page. Then go back and edit, edit, edit! Omit needless words! Omit needless words! Omit needless words! The editing process is by far the most time-consuming part of writing -- it's agony getting the first draft down on paper, but it's nothing compared to ruthlessly critiqueing and cutting out the crap you wrote. (And I write crap every day!)

Everyone's giving great advice, and it's advice I use when editing. But if you try to do all of this on the first draft, you may well end up paralyzed. Speaking from experience ...

Dictation is also fabulous if you end up not knowing how to write what you want to say. Just say it! (And, of course, find someone to type it for you.) It's easier to resist the temptation to edit as you go along. (Same is true for writing things out longhand, which is another thing I often do.)
Quote Reply