Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to triathlon, intersted in Sprint and Olympic distances
Quote | Reply
Ok guys,

First things first, I have never ever competed in any triathlon competition. However I am very interested in doing it for the first time some day this year.

I am 25 years old and I have always been involved in sports, but none of endurance. I did swim competetivly back in high school but only for 25, 50, 100 and relays. I also competed internationally in martial arts for 7 years. But again that was not really of high endurance or multisports. (though it takes a lot of endurance to spar 15 different guys in 1 day or run as fast as you can from a huge guy who heard that ya can fight!!)

Anyway, I am really interested in Sprint and International distance triathlon, so if any of you guys could give me some advice on how to start training, what amount of swimming, running, biking per day, equipment, and a REALISTIC date for competing without looking like an @ss. (I know it sound a little bit egotistical, but DON't take it the wrong way)

I hope I hear from all of you guys!

Great site and GOD bless all of us, the US and our troops

A. Sinnerman D.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlon, intersted in Sprint and Olympic distances [Sinnerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some beginner programs around, including one on this site: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ginner/notquite.html. Or check trinewbies.com. Or, there are a number of books with training programs. You have a swimming background, so you're ahead of a lot of people right there. You could easily be ready to race this summer. The bigger question is where do you live and how fast do races sell out? (Seriously. That is the newbies problem in NorCal....finding a race that's actually still open to entries.)

About the martial arts...nope, very different from endurance training. I've trained for sparring and I've completed an Ironman. Both are hard, but in very different ways.

Good luck and happy training!

clm in sf

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
ditto on trinewbies... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the trinewbies... they also have a nice section on what are essential things to have for tris as well as the should have and wish I had lists. I found this to be very helpful in planning out the early purchases.

I compete in Judo and find that they complement eachother very well. The judo develops my power and help A LOT when you crash on your bike (remember when not if) also the increased endurance is going to help you no matter what... the training also helps to keep the weight down for weigh ins... It is also helpful in those long matches especially since most people don't train their endurance very much.

Also this board is a very good place for info for the newbie and the veteran... read a lot of the posts and you will be amazed at what you can learn
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlon, intersted in Sprint and Olympic distances [Sinnerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was twice your age doing my first tri so don't worry about it. Just go out and have fun. Here's a few tips.

1) If you are swimming in cold water do buy, rent or borrow a proper tri wet suit. You'll be glad you did. Don't show up with a 7mm farmer John scuba suit bottom for your first tri like I did.

2) You don't have to go nuts on a bike purchase right away. It's mostly the engine. Any old road bike fitted with clipless pedals and short style aero bars will do 95% of what the most expensive tri bikes with all the latest do-dads will do.

3) Hydration is very important. Don't under estimate hw much fluid you might need.

4) Remember this is all about having fun and that everybody is a newbie once. Tri-geeks are among the most friendly and helpful people there are. Don't hesitate to keep asking questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the above replys offer great advice, I would second the Idea of finding a training program on this site or other triathlon sites, most will allow time for your body to rest inbetween training for example not killing yourself everyday. Remember that rest is just as important as exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i showed up to my first triathlon 2 years ago it was the day before and i just went to check out the course. a guy was jogging the run, and came up to me and explained the whole course and race, asked me a few questions and was super nice and wished me good luck, my first tri-experience... don't be afraid to ask other athletes!!!, most are very willing to help. if you are in decent shape i think you could easily do a sprint race with 2 months or even less of training. one thing that helped me was just mixing it up, doing all kinds of bricks...run, swim....bike, run.....swim, run......run, bike......whatever! it all helps... when i showed up at my first bike race, no one said hi, a guy made fun of my bike (trek 2000)..(i smoked him though, so that felt good).....needless to say i find tri-geeks a bit more approachable than your average roadie. but i race both and both are fun...WARNING: after a couple races be prepared to spend all your time and money on this sport...goofy clothes, expensive bikes, wetsuits, ect.....but all very worth it. GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes.?

luke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Book - The Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel.

Swim - swim in your wetsuit before race day. v important to make sure it fits and feels ok in the water.

Bike - make sure the bike has cleat pedals and get used to riding these kiddies. you may have noticed from this site that a little thing called fit is also important....

Run - go easy at first. it is easy to get injured running so start with frequent short runs and slowly build up the mileage.

Rock up and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everybody!

Hey, I did not expect this to be such an active forum.

I really appreciate your advice and encouragement.

See ya around!

A. Sinnerman D.
Quote Reply