Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I'm in need of some advice. I'm trying to find/design a training program for a sprint tri that will get me into shape but doesn't go overboard on the worko uts. Mentally I'm ready to train as hard as possible, but due to a medical condition I can't afford to burn a whole bunch of calories in the process. I know that is kind of due to the nature of the sport, but that is just how it is. I guess I'm looking for quality, not quantity. Right now I have it so I run 3-4 days a week, swim twice a week, and bike twice a week. Does anyone have suggestions for work outs, or a training plan I could use? Is swimming and biking 2x a week enough? I'm just looking to finish, but would love to post a good time too.

Thanks!
Brittney

My blog: TriOwl--Learning about life and the sport of triathlon by trial and error
Quote Reply
Re: Training Recommendations? [redtailhawk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brittney,

I have a friend who has the same condition as you (I checked out your blog) and likes to do 5K and 10K races. She eats all the time when she is training. Most people who workout for under an hour to hour and a half don't need to use gels etc, but she does just so she can get the calories. In training every 15 min she eats a gel or something. Sometimes she uses a liquid carbohydrate drink (Perpetuem or infinit). They are normally very easy to digest so she doesn't have a problem. And she always has a recovery drink, even after a 45 min workout so she can get back the calories she needs. It took her some experimenting (under the care of a doctor and a sports nutritionist...thought I think her doctor was skeptical at first) to find what products worked for her. I remember her being very frustrated at times, but her other option was to be miserable because she really likes to run and if she couldn't figure out how to not starve herself when working out she couldn't run. I also remember that most of her training is a low intensity so she can digest when working out. This was another thing that took a lot of experimenting.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, swimming and biking twice a week is enough. It might not get you to the podium, but you'll still finish in solid fashion - you'll probably be in the middle according to the amount of time you said you're training. For training plans, take a look at beginnertriathlete.com. There's also a really good book by Gale Berhardt that several people have recommended called "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes". It has plans for all different distances and abilities (advanced, beginner, etc).

Good luck with it!
Quote Reply
Re: Training Recommendations? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I haven't found anyone with gastroparesis that trains in anything. Most of the people I have come into contact with online don't try and push themselves. It is good to hear someone else out there tries to stay active too. Like you said it is frustrating trying to find a balance. My GI doc (okay, all of my docs) aren't too big a fan of me working out at this point because I'm too skinny, but I don't want to sit around and wait to see how things go.

The good news is I have an appointment with a sports nutritionist on Tuesday afternoon. :)

I don't know if it will be possible, but if your friend would be willing to contact me steer her towards my blog and have her leave a comment. I'd like to have someone who has the condition and knows how to train with it to bounce ideas off of. The gels seem to be a good idea. I do drink a Boost/Ensure after I workout along with a couple cups of gatorade to try and replace the calories, but staying ahead of the game with the gels might be a better approach.

Thanks again,
Brittney

My blog: TriOwl--Learning about life and the sport of triathlon by trial and error
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be fine swimming & biking 2x a week. I'd do one of those bikes before a run so you can get a brick workout it, because I find the transitioning between the sports the most challenging aspect of the sprint distance. The running will give you a good fitness base. I'm a big fan of the Gale Bernhardt book Dawn recommended and my husband has just started using the sprint distance training plan in there. I'm not positive, but I want to say it only has him biking/swimming twice a week. (He's combining it with training for an October marathon, so he's doing a heavy run focus and then using the swim & bike stuff mostly as cross-training, with some summer races thrown in for fun.)

Good luck!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply