Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Time Using A Disc!!
Quote | Reply
My LBS has kindly offered to let me race with a disc and deep dish front for this weekends race (Olympic distance) - needless to say I am very excited!! The course is mostly flat (with only few small rolling hills), so I am really looking forward to it.

I usually roll along at around 22mph over the 40km with my HR well manageable using training wheels (Mavic CXP-33's) - anyone care to enlighten me on what I should expect? What will it feel like?

I can only imagine what it will sound like...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Using A Disc!! [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expect nothing, hope for the best and be happy with your results. If they are better - great, if not...that is still great if you finish (well?).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Prediction [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have ridden this course before, and know what your time was, I will predict you will be 4 minutes faster.

Part of this 4 minutes will be because the wheels are faster. The rest of the 4 minutes will be because you are excited about racing the new wheelset, you will concentrate just a little more to make sure you stay aero, and you will even sacrifice your run just a bit in order to make sure you were worthy of borrowing the wheels!

Have a good PR in your bike split!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, you've told us about it, now please give a post race report to let us know what happened. I've never used a disc either, so I'm curious to hear your report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's have a pool!

I predict 1.5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Using A Disc!! [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take 2minutes 15 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Using A Disc!! [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the course like, flat, hilly, windy? That will place a part in the time savings. What disc did they lend you?

Olen
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Using A Disc!! [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I predict 1.5 minutes."

That's about what Cobb/Martin predict in their writings. I'll have to go with it also.
Quote Reply
Re: First Time Using A Disc - Predictions!! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK.

Well, here are my pre-race predictions, realistic but still an extension. The weather will be hot and potentially humid, but not traditionally windy.

• Swim – 30mins. This takes into account that it is a tough surf swim, out and back, with no wetsuits. The swell to get out into the flatter waters can be a big, so this will be interesting…
  • T1 – There is a long run up a very sandy (but beautiful) white beach, over the road and through a carpark to get to the compound, so this will conceivably put another 4mins on.
  • Bike – The big question. I had hoped for a 1.10.00 bike split, but then the disc factor comes into it. Shall we say, 1.08? (Let’s go crazy!!)
  • T2 – 1 min.
  • Run – 42mins
  • Total – 2.25.00

Promise to update you all when I come back. Sunny Queensland beckons, and I can’t tell you how nice it will be to take some time off work!!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you guys are all missing the big advantage oz will have. he will just plain look sexier. children it's not if you win or loose, it's how you look playing the game.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I can only imagine what it will sound like...

The first time you use a disk, depending on which one the, noise can be a bit of a distraction. You will be able to hear every bump in the road and every click of a cog. If your drive train is not perfectly in line, you and everyone else will know!!

Time savings? I'll leave that to the real aero gurus.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I like the noise. I think its cool. A for what it feels like: I'm a heavy weight at 170 pounds so I don't feel too much crosswind interfereance. I am also a disk wheel believer big time. I think you do notice a pretty significant speed advantage, but no, I absolutely cannot quantify it. It seems like over 40Km bike course saving 2 minutes may not be asking too much. Like the other guys said, give it a try, get on it and pedal!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply