Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ
Quote | Reply
Before IMF a couple years ago I went to a Multisports.com camp and during one of the lectures Paula Newby-Frazier said everyone should know the reasons they are doing an IM, so when it gets tough, you can think about why you are there. I 'freaked out'. I had NO valid reasons to do an IM. It wasn't something I needed to prove to myself, or someone else. It wasn't the hardest thing I'd accomplish. I just wanted to do it. Anyway...a couple weeks before the race, I decided I needed to find some reasons...so I came up with a top 10 list. Here's the new revised version.

1. Perpetuem...the liquid diet w/o the hangover

2. LGN (Look Good Naked)

3. Didn't have a boyfriend at the time

4. Cheaper than therapy? (see #3)

5. Apparently I never put it in writing that I'd never do another IM

6. Easy to date two guys this way (always have a built in excuse to not be available). Now I just need the 2 guys.

7. My addiction to pizza (enough said)

8. I want to be able to understand what my future husband (Lance Armstrong) is going through when he trains for his first IM

9. As a child of the 80s, spandex rocks!

10. Since I work in the construction industry and my only fashion choices are what color hard hat to wear to the job site...., I figured pondering if compression socks would go okay with De Soto micro tri shorts would fill the void....and then debating if I could pull it off!

Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you marry me...and that other guy (presuming that it is not Tibbs!). I promise, I will do my best to be a good Mormon. Plus, I am a hell of a cook and can fix bikes!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to reread the list....specifically #8. I'm holding out for Lance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I especially like #6.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghia- did you see the pic of Lance on the Tri forum the other day..... yikees....

BTW, your list was hilarious! mmmm someone said pizza...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Substitute Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for pizza in No. 7 and I'm there with you, except then I'm violating No. 1. Oh, and Denzel Washington for Lance in No. 8, and "acting role" for "IM." And my IMAZ is in November so I don't need a list for a while. Well done! Good luck! Denzel, are you listening? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am dreaming about the pizza I will have post race. After IMF, on the way back to my hotel I stopped and picked up 2 whole papa johns large pizzas. Every time I woke up that night I had a couple slices. I don't think either pizza made it past noon the day after.

And I can't wait for my first day back to work, there's a costco right across the street from my shop and I LOVE THEIR PIZZA.

I haven't had pizza in over a month and a half...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! Damn I'm guilty of #5. I should put it in writing. I've said it many times yet I keep coming back.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swore this 2-3 weeks ago and again I didn't put it in writing, now that I'm tapering and feeling good (and wanting to do longer runs and rides), I'm considering which IM I want to do next...UGH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nooooooo!!! Ha Ha I swore I wasn't going to do one this year. So anyway now that it's getting nicer around here I've been on the IMNA site to see which one I can get into this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha... After my first IM, I said I'd never do it again. During my second IM, at mile 20 as I walked it in with friends, I made them *swear* they would never let me do another one. I wanted to write it in Sharpie on the back of my race number. NO MORE IM. My third IM (Wisconsin, the cold and rainy one), halfway through the run I was trying to decide which one to do next. And so here comes IMAZ.

Excellent list... I really should come up with one myself.
Last edited by: Ariel: Apr 1, 08 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! thanks for sharing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brilliant!

i love the answers, you're hilarious!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really was on the never doing another IM again path until I suffered almost every injury possible last season. The day I dropped out of Honu because I still couldn't run w/o pain I was so depressed. This lasted about a week until I decided IMAZ would be the light at the end of the tunnel. Managed to get me really focused on training and not getting injured last fall and winter. I started working out again in July last year and IMAZ kept me motivated when running 3 miles or biking 10 miles sucked.

I just thought of a whole bunch more reasons to do IMAZ (things I can't get in Hawaii)...I'm really looking forward to it now!

1. Target (coming soon, but it will be such in inconvenience to go it won't be worth it, and then if I want to order something online I'll have to pay tax on it)
2. Trader Joes
3. Whole Foods (coming soon)
4. Victoria's Secret (supposedly coming in 2009, same inconvenience as Target)
5. In and Out Burger (probably a good thing it's not in Hawaii)
6. Major League Baseball (my sister is flying out to AZ early next week so we can go to a Diamond Backs game...I miss MLB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have already mapped the route from my hotel to Trader Joe's. :)

My top ten:

10. I had to see it to believe that there's 2.4 miles of swimmable water in Tempe.
9. Because it's hard. (Supposedly what I told someone before doing my first IM. Heh.)
8. It's a dry heat.
7. Everything else I do this summer will seem easy in comparison.
6. Road triiiiip!!!
5. I want to give my somewhat skeptical orthopedic surgeon a photo of me crossing the finish line 15 weeks after breaking my wrist.
4. I love my Lucky jeans. And now I can wear them again.
3. It doesn't have to be fun to be fun.
2. I knew it couldn't possibly rain all day like it did at IM Wisconsin. (It won't, right?)
1. Because I finished IM New Zealand (my first and fastest) in 13:05:30. Gotta cut five minutes and 31 seconds somewhere.
Last edited by: Ariel: Apr 2, 08 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have already mapped the route from my hotel to Trader Joe's. :)

Me too! (and the rest of my list)

5. I want to give my somewhat skeptical orthopedic surgeon a photo of me crossing the finish line 15 weeks after breaking my wrist.

Great one! I should take my finisher photo and give it to my primary care doctor who said I should give up running because my Achilles will never let me run again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit 1, 2 & 3 in San Diego yesterday, and can't wait to get to AZ just for a little more time at TJs :)

Great top ten list. I have to think of a reason, let alone ten.

Email if you're still around -- swim mon or tues?
Quote Reply
Not IMAZ, but my reasons for my Iron [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In no particular order, I don't think...the race is in September, so they are subject to change:

1- because I like the feeling of great accomplishments

2- because my husband, the star athlete, is only doing the half and I AM doing the FULL!!

3- because I had fun on my first irondistance

4- I like food....particularly Italian and sweets

5- I actually enjoy the training (okay, not the 100 degree heat I am sure I'll do some ridiculously long bricks in, but in general)

6- I love the reaction on people's faces who don't know me- when they ask what I did on Saturday and I tell them I rode 100 miles and ran 10.

7- I'm determined to eat better this go-round

8- all that cycling is the only thing that will get my butt in shape

9- I like getting to pick new race outfits (I am such a girly girl, I know, I know)

10- I'm a nut!
Quote Reply
Re: Not IMAZ, but my reasons for my Iron [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

2- because my husband, the star athlete, is only doing the half and I AM doing the FULL!!

This is classic. I love it when my husband says "I could NEVER do that." He is a super-fast marathoner and bike racer but really he couldn't -- he can't swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, you don't need a reason other than you're fast and you're expected to do these races :-)

And I just found a DSW Shoes in Chandler, looks like I'll be heading there tomorrow after the swim. I'm supposed to do a bike ride, but right now shoe shopping is topping the list of priorities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahem. Aren't you there early to adjust to the time? Get off the ST and get to bed!
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Reasons I'm Doing IMAZ [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was watching IMOZ checking on some friends and just took an ambien...should kick in any minute now!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Not IMAZ, but my reasons for my Iron [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine too... 2:28 marathon and because he's such a friggin athlete, he rocks the bike...but the swim, oh the swim. He's trying...but because it is hard for him he hates to train it, so he doesn't improve a ton.. maybe one day..... Swimming is the one thing I can beat him at...and maybe a game of go fish or bowling!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply