Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Laces, Yankz, or Traditional?
Quote | Reply
Does every triathlete in the world use stretchy laces? The guy at my tri store insisted that Yankz work for everyone, but I put them on and they did not feel secure enough. If I adjusted them snug enough to feel secure, I couldn't get my foot in.

I have a bit of a narrow heel...I am one of those people that use every eyelet on their shoes, going up the instep as far as possible..still always lots of laces left over.

I've done dozens of tri's without Speed Laces or Yankz, but I'm open to change if it will work for me. Do they only work for people with a wider foot? Thanks for reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Laces, Yankz, or Traditional? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Easy Laces. I have a narrowish heel, and a wide forefoot, so I can often get heel slippage if I find a shoe wide enough to accommodate my forefoot.

I rememdy that problem by altering my lacing pattern, which seems to work well--snugs up the heel, and takes pressure off the sides of my feet. After a few years of running in Easy Laces, i can't imagine going back to regular laces. It's kind of like making the switch to all-sockless. Once you do it, and get used to it (and there may be some transition time), you can't go back.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't use Yankz at all. I use lace locks with whatever are the stock laces in my running shoes. Practice putting them on and tightening them up, it takes no more than 5 seconds per shoe. Remember to either cut the long ends back, or tie them to the laces closest to the toes, so they don't flap around in an annoying way when you're running.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Lock Laces - not lace locks, I don't really like the other brands that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have narrow feet. I found the Easy Laces worked for me and was more comfortable than the Yankz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an AA width foot and very skinny heel and have used elastic laces for years. Initially my heel slipped but I tried ankle lock lacing, like I do with regular laces, and they worked just fine.

Explanations and graphics of ankle lock lacing variations can be found here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm.

As to brand, I like EZ Laces but I'd suggest trying a few different styles to see what works as different brands tend to have different levels of stretchiness (or whatever the technical term is).

They make for faster race transitions and it's great after a long workout not to have to bend over to take off your runners!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Yankz for years and I've been fine. I also have narrow feet.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use regular laces. I have my shoes double knotted and they slip on/off just fine.

I have used yankz in the past, but am too lazy to put them in my new shoes and have done a few 20 milers with my regular laces already tied and haven't had any problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Laces, Yankz, or Traditional? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the easy laces. I like them way better than Yankz. I too have a narrow heel and don't seem to have any problems with the easy laces.

Re: Speed Laces, Yankz, or Traditional? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use any of the above. I hit the local fabric store and for about $1-2 get a length of elastic. Tie up the shoes and be done with it. I guess I just can't see paying $5-6 when I can pay $1-2.
I also have narrow feet.
Quote Reply