Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Read Tom Demerly's new article
Quote | Reply
It's on his website. It really is about a scary sport, if you call it that. It is a chilling account of a event in our history. Must be a scary feeling to hear it live from a friend who is in the most dangerous situations to protect our freedom. That must be a enormous rush when they are running away. Think they hit their max heartrate on that one. I seem to remember seeing that car on CNN? Thanks Tom, it is nice to know that we have brave people out there. Sometimes I take for granted how could we have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Read Tom Demerly's new article [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It almost seems that Tom had the wrong calling. He should have been a professional full time journalist on a full salary. He writes very well.

Tom's done a lot of part time freelance work for various publications but has mentioned that there is not much money in it. I know that for a fact having done freelance work for automotive and scuba diving publications.

Tom should sit down and write a book. I'm sure it would be interesting reading.
Quote Reply
Hey, Tom... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at the risk of sounding totally naive and stupid...

you REALLY know the guy that did this? HOLY CRAP!

Thank you for the insight. That was just awesome to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, Tom... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly what I was wondering?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, Tom... [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a guy in that unit, he was a pro triathlete but missed the military and went through selection a bit ago. Not a night goes by that I don't say a pray for him and his buddies, for what Tom writes could be true. When scary things need doing be thankful there are scary people to go do them. A good book to read is Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Thanks guys. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reading today's editorial guys. I enjoyed writing it. I've recieved 12 e-mails about it, all of them say they enjoyed it. The character and events are, of course fictional. To maintain operational security, the safety of the personnel involved and the integrity of the missions ongoing at this hour, it would be inappropriate to discuss actual operations. And, of course, since I own a bike shop I don't know anything other than what I get from CNN anyway. I can only hope that there will be a historical record of the incredible work done by the people who call themselves "The Quiet Professionals".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked the stats on this editorial and it is current the second most popular editorial on "hits" behind "Commitment" which is the all time leader on our site. This is noteworthy since it has only been up two days.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant article Tom!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding article - more than a "reporters view" of SOP for a job like that . In response to post above, if you want another good book (with relevance to today's issues) - try Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb. Its about a SAS squad that inserts and is captured in the first Gulf War. May give some rather unpleasant insight into what our POWs are going through right now, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are welcome!

But I feel relatively dense right about now.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys. [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that you aren't the only one feeling that way. That's what makes for good writing. I read it this morning and took it at face value. As the day went on,having had some experience with warfare and small team operations some years ago, I began to question how Tom could have gotten this information. Good soldiers seldom tell tales, and Tom doesn't seem the type to spill the beans even if someone had fu and told him about it. I came to the conclusion that he'd taken artistic license to make for some interesting and thought-provoking reading. Great job.

As for the this article's comparison to Commitment, I'd say that's right on as well. I just read Commitment for the first time last night, and it was stunning. His best work so far, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys. [DougT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I mentioned, this editorial is a work of creative fiction. Thank you guys again for your kind words.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, it ain't kind words, I'm pissed. I forwarded that on to about 30 people, thinking it was true. Now I've got to tell them all I am a gulli-bull.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Mike. It looks to be a sad attempt from a textbook narcissist to put his ego and his actions at the level of our "special forces".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I really am not pissed. I was just kidding, in case you didn't figure that out. Kestrelguy, that editorial may be "fiction" but I'd guess it isn't too far from the truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys. [kestrelguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. It is. I am so ashamed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply