Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

toe fungus
Quote | Reply
best remedies for toe fungus? I know it is gross, but there are a lot of products to choose from

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [joenjolene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's athlete's foot fungus (Tinea pedis), any over the counter topical anti-fungal should work.
However, if it's a fungal infection of your toenails, I would see a podiatrist and get a prescription anti-fungal. Fungal toenail infections are notoriously indolent and can be difficult to irradicate.
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vick's vapor rub, its magic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that Lamisil is available as a generic (Terbinafine), why mess with anything else? My wife picked up a 3 month supply for something like $12/month. Definitely shop around though, as we found that CVS/Walgreens were significantly more (a couple hundred dollars) than where we ended up getting it -- Costco. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, it is toenail, pretty gross

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [maxhr203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Vick's vapor rub, its magic!

that and tea tree oil will work, but you have to put it on everyday, sometimes twice.

also a foot bath in vinegar will work, every day--this will kill toenail fungus and athlete's foot. you can add a guiness to the footbath with apple cider vinegar as another foot bath recipe (again, has to be done everyday though.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only thing that will really kill the fungus is a systemic prescription anti-fungal like Lamasil. You also need to buy the foot spray at at drug store and spray ALL of your shoes. If you don't the spores can survive and you will just keep getting reinfected.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came off a climb a few years ago with the usual toenail damage from the descents and didn’t think much about it. When it grew out it was still a mess and then started the war to get rid of it. At least on my body the gels would work for awhile and then it would come roaring back. I tried everything - there is even some guy who wrote a book about his trials and tribulations with toe nail fungus (all I could take was the summary on the Internet). Then I found NonyX Nail Gel and it really works. When your nail grows out its gone. The only downside is that it doesn’t smell real great.

N=1 and all that.

My MD was dead set against Lamisil although she is pretty conservative where drugs are concerned. I still remember the conversation: Her - “Do you have any plans to become a foot model in the near future?” Me – “No.” Her – “Keep fighting with it the old fashioned way.”
---------------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the only thing that will really kill the fungus is a systemic prescription anti-fungal like Lamasil. You also need to buy the foot spray at at drug store and spray ALL of your shoes. If you don't the spores can survive and you will just keep getting reinfected.

Good luck.
even with lamasil is can come back.
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it comes back after people take Lamasil because they don't spray and kill the spores in their shoes, so they get reinfected. (I used to work for the company that make Lamasil and although I never sold it, I heard the sales spiel many times.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't polish your nails whilst the taking the tablet-form of Lamisil. Nail polish will not allow the nail to breathe. If you have liver problems, they won't prescribe that med.

Good luck.

P.S. to think my first Women's room post is about toe fungus.
Quote Reply
Re: toe fungus [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did some research on this when I thought I had toenail fungus. (Turns out it was a popped blood vessel from regularly walking down steep inclines in heels. Go figure.) ANYWAY ... A Listerine foot bath apparently works, too. Maybe. As well as anything else that isn't meant for curing fungus, I guess.
Quote Reply