Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

mammogram - what I learned
Quote | Reply
So, I'm 41, and two weeks ago I had my second mammogram. A few days later I opened mail from them expecting it to say everything is fine. But it didn't. They said there was something on the image that required further screening, and I should make an additional appointment as soon as possible. The letter said it was probably benign, but the use of any words refering to cancer is scary. And I received this letter after 5pm on a Friday. SO I spent all weekend anxious at the thought of having breast cancer. I had to wait two weeks for an appt - it was yestereday. When I arived she showed me the image and the spot they were concerned with, and it looked just like the rest of the image, so I had no clue. SHe also said its likely its just fibrous tissue that was not clear enough in the first set of images. So, we did 6 more and the doctor gave it the all clear. But the most important thing I learned is that you should let the compress your breasts until you abolsutely can't stand the discomfort. I remember the first one, she kept asking me if I was ok, and I'm like 'yeah, I'm fine, I'm so used to my body being in some pain from training and racing'. But she stopped compressing, even though I probably could have handled more. This time a different technician, asked the same question, and I told her to keep compressing, because she said the more compression, the better the image will be, and that the first one might not have been compressed enough to provide a clear image. So, my lesson is tell them to keep compressing until you really can't stand it, because the anxiety of waiting for a follow up to clear up any concerns is not worth saving a little discomfort for 15 seconds.

Just thought I'd pass this along to all of you who have yet to reach 40 and the start of receiving annual mammograms.

Cheryl
Quote Reply
Re: mammogram - what I learned [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodness Cheryl; so glad it all came out fine! that is stressful; i've been there, it sucks.

thanks for the advice. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kinda feel like I am poking my nose in where it doesn't belong in some of these threads in The Womens forum, but, there is a great wealth of knowledge, so, please pardon my intrusion (as a male looking at some of these posts).

I have loved ones and significant others approaching and/or in this age group (i.e., getting regular mammograms) and, oddly, it seems like I am the one who is paranoid and waits anxiously for the results to arrive to ensure all is well. One thing I do not understand is the time you women have to wait for appointments, then for follow-up. Why the hell is that? Waiting 2 weeks to get in for a second check would kill me. It does not seem like men have to wait at all like that. If I think something is wrong, I can usually get in right away. I am not old enough for the recommended regular colon screening yet, but, my male friends who are seem to be able to get in right away and seem to immediately get follow ups, if needed.

It is a shortage of health care providers in this field? Just curious b/c it seems to create a lot of unecessary anxiety, at least is has for me in the past.

Very glad to hear your results came out well.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad things are ok for you. Thanks so much for passing on this info. I'm approaching 41, so I know this isn't far off for me.
Quote Reply
Re: mammogram - what I learned [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please don't feel like you're intruding here. This forum is better because of the men who choose to participate (and for those who choose not to - hee hee). I agree that waiting 2 weeks would be difficult in this situation. I don't have any experience to know whether women have to wait longer than men, but I would think something as fundamental as a mammogram should be available almost immediately - especially for a follow-up where there's a possibility of something there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do live in a small town, only one imaging facility. I actually had to wait 4 months for my first appt (which was the routine annual one). I did expect when I called for the followup they would get me in that day. But it was 8 working days (plus weekend), and I asked if it shouldn't be sooner, and they said they just want you back in within 30 days. I was a little surprised at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the other male poster, I don't want to intrude but I recently had a medical scare that was similar to yours. At my last annual physical my prostate examine came up "unusual", a mass that shouldn't be there. I had a biopsy and ultrasound sheduled. I've never been that scared in my 50 years of life. Fortunately, the results were negative. The word "cancer" really changes one's perspective on things. Go to your doctor, people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to Montreal, once the doctors have diagnosed your cancer it can be 6 weeks before they can remove it. There isn't enough surgical space or staff to get you through faster.
Quote Reply
Re: mammogram - what I learned [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's horrible. I cannot imagine having to wait that long. Wow.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the scary mammogram a while back. It started with a lot of pain then a large lump. My doc tried to aspirate it and no fluid came out. She tried to get me in that day for a mammo but I had to wait until the next day. It took 2 weeks for the result when then resulted in still nothing definitive. I went in to see a breast surgeon who got me in for an MRI the next day. Turned out everything was fine, I've just developed fiberous tissue as I've aged and a random hormonal even flaired it up.

Soooo scary waiting for results. I was growing grey hairs as I waiting for the mammo results.

I am very relieved everything came out OK and good for you for being aggressive in getting the mammo done correctly. It is a good reminder that we are in charge of our own health.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm with dawn--please keep participating, it's nice to have such a great mix in the womens forum. :)

and glad you came out a-ok!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure it is my place to comment being male. Thank goodness you went back and had better advise. A couple of years ago I had an eeg I picked up a phone message from my GP........ Stop exercising until I set up an appointment with a cardiologist. Why can they not call on a monday!!!.. I understand the scare... The cardio looked at the repeat and shook his head........... I was horrified he VERY quickly explained that the tech switched two of the leads to show a false heart attack.
My wife (of 27 years) comes from a long history of family cancer. (her mother and several aunts) It is so important to have regular screening BOTH men and women!!
Funny I am sitting here my last day in Naples at relatives (who lost her mother) on holidays with a livestrong tee shirt on as I type this.
I feel strong that this is a people issue not a gender issue.
Keep up the healthy triathlon life style to help reduce the odds.
Rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happy to hear that you're all clear.

I had a similar experience. I have a history of breast cancer in my family (both of my grandmothers died from it and my aunt had it but caught it early) so last year at 36, I had my first mammogram. It was VERY uncomfortable, almost painful. And since I have quite dense breast tissue, they had to really make sure everything was really flattened to get a readable image. I can't remember how long it took for the results. I think it was a couple of weeks but I got a call to go back because they found "something" and wanted to do a follow up ultrasound. Words cannot describe what I felt when I got that phone call. I think I was lucky enough to get in to the clinic relatively quickly, although I remember waiting almost 2 hours to get seen. They did the ultrasound and it turns out I have 2 cysts in my left breast, and apparently that is somewhat normal. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.
I don't know what it is with the health care system in Ontario, but things have gotten A LOT worse over the 10 years or so. It used to be easy to get in to see a new doctor, now it's almost impossible to find a doctor that is accepting new patients and if you DO find one, you have to wait about 8 weeks to get in to see them! Ridiculous.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: mammogram - what I learned [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Come to Montreal, once the doctors have diagnosed your cancer it can be 6 weeks before they can remove it. There isn't enough surgical space or staff to get you through faster.

First I want to thank Cheryl for posting this.

Second, I just want to say that mom who is now battling brain cancer in Montreal (well we are in san diego now for some alternative treatments) got surgery 12 HOURS after diagnosis of her brain tumor. I have a lot of complaints with the hospital system in Montreal but I have to say i was VERY impressed that after a 5pm diagnosis, she was on the operating table at 7am the next morning... Hopital Notre-Dame, dowtown Montreal... I know it's not always like that but I had to share..
Quote Reply
Re: mammogram - what I learned [redrunningshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was VERY uncomfortable, almost painful. And since I have quite dense breast tissue, they had to really make sure everything was really flattened to get a readable image.

I've always wondered if something less painful could not be developed, it seems so medieval, and it also makes me wonder if all this flattening is really good for you :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheryl, glad you are OK, and thanks for the reminder.
Quote Reply