Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you listen to music on your bike
Quote | Reply
Ok just have to ask the question... for the last few years I always thought those that rode and listened to music were taking too many risks- but I have to confess...I was dreading this big hill climb today so I put my I-pod on in one ear so I could hear traffic behind me and all...I loved it!!! I could totally keep my cadence up while climbing- didn't get bored and could have done it again if I had more time. Anyone else try this? It was just one ear!!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i listen to music when i ride, especially when i'm riding alone. i am a pretty bad influence since i ride with both ear pieces in, though i go to school in rural ohio where there is no traffic. you just need to be careful when there is traffic, and either have the volume not too loud, or leave an ear piece out so you can hear cars.

linkin park is my personal hill climbing favorite band...

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that hip but will totally add that to my IPod!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to be able to ride with music, but it's just not safe. Even if I wore it in one ear I think it would distract me enough to be dangerous. I save the music for the trainer rides where I need it most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have. I don't do it on every ride b/c I'm worried about my ears. I put it in my right ear only and on a low setting. I don't use it in high traffic areas only when I'm out in the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I'll never do it. I think riding on the roads is dangerous enough without adding music to the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it all the time. It makes my rides much more enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it almost every ride these days. I use both earbuds, but with the volume really low so I can hear traffic ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never for me. I have trouble hearing traffic WITHOUT any music in my ears.
Besides, you can't do it on race day anyway.
For me, just too risky.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, never have and probably never will. I have a hard enough time hearing cars anyway especially if it's windy.

I don't run with music either. I have a few times and it was nice, but it just seems like another thing to pack...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course not. That is horrible and avery dumb thing to do.
It puts yourself and others in danger. Once last summer I was on a climb and wanted to pass someone and yelled on your left...he was totally startled...he was wearing an ipod. I was shocked as I didnt believe anyone could be so stupid as to wear one, then I noticed the odd one here and there.
Curious: if you were in an accident wearing one, where would the blame fall? I know you THINK you can hear everything but its hard enough without them. Maybe not the politest way to say it but when I see someone riding with music do judge them, and think they are a jackass...but these are the people that wear ipods to running races when that is prohibited too. (not to open another can of worms!)
Last edited by: kbee: Mar 27, 08 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heck no!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the safety issue, there's also the issue of using it as a crutch. As much as I love to run trails with my ipod, I make sure that some of my longer runs are without it so I don't become dependant upon it to keep moving.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, and don't do it on the run, either. Can't use music during a race, so might as well not get used to it. I kinda like the time to think, etc., anyway.

Also have always assumed it was dangerous to do on the bike and I'm scared enough of the traffic out here right now...don't need anything else distracting me!

Em

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I've started bike commuting to work, and most of my ride is on a Rails-to-Trails bike path. I considered doing the "one bud" thing, but I realized that I tend to zone out when I run with music, and that's the last thing I want to do on the bike. But sometimes I sing! Belting out something like "Natchez Trace" or "Sweet Baby James" at 6:30 am is too much fun to be having so early!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't. Mostly for safety reasons - so that I can hear cars, but also because I tend to zone out when I listen to the i-pod. (all those years of using it to block out the subway commute... ) But I tend to "put a song in my head" when I'm climbing to help achieve the same effect. I find it helps me just as much, but without the potential safety hazards...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto never. I understand the desire to do so but to me it isn't worth the risk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand the desire to but would never do it, way too dangerous.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you effing crazy? Never.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [Aunt Em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK point made! I ride with a lot of guys and they do often- but I think I have my answer pretty loud and clear. Thanks for all of the posts. Guess I'll have to sing to myself.. "The intsy Bintsy Spider...."

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that I'd prefer to ride with my eyes closed. I am inclined to think that my hearing is the most important sense. Why? Because there is a clear difference in the way a fast-moving car or a big truck sounds compared to a regular car. It's the fast moving cars and big trucks who are less inclined to give as much room to a cyclist. Because I know they are coming, I am able to move over such that I'm less likely to get buzzed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wear mine when i ride in rural areas by my self. at this point if i am goign to get hit again, its gonna happen whether i hear the car or not.

FWIW i have been hit twice now and both times were by cars i knew were there and SAW coming. then again we are on very striaght open roads and you can see cars a good mile away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no way. I am scared enough out there. need the few wits I have fully paying attention.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Do you listen to music on your bike [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i wear mine when i ride in rural areas by my self. at this point if i am goign to get hit again, its gonna happen whether i hear the car or not.

FWIW i have been hit twice now and both times were by cars i knew were there and SAW coming. then again we are on very striaght open roads and you can see cars a good mile away.
dude...you're an idiot! quit doing that please?!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next