Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a new Cervelo P2C and would like to add a bike computer with cadence. Since the bike is so pretty, there is no way I can install my wired Cateye Astrale on the new bike so I am looking for recommendations on a wireless computer with cadence. Any suggestions?

I had the Mavic wireless at one point and I could never get the cadence to function properly. I also own a Garmin Forerunner 305 so getting the speed/cadence senor and quick release/bike mount is also an option. For those who use the garmin on their bike, can you easily get the watch to display cadence and speed while riding? I am sure you can but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Sigma 1606L Wireless + Cadence. The cadence feature has worked without fail. The speed sensor is another story. It doesn't get detected consistently but that may be because I have the sensor mounted on the chain stay instead of the fork (recommended). The distance is just barely in the acceptable range according to the instructions. Once I move the bike from the trainer I'll mount the sensor on the fork to see if it works better. Depending on the size of your frame it may work on the stay for you.

http://www.sigmasport.com/...ence/?punkt=features

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cateye Double Wireless which senses cadence and speed of the same sensor mounted on the chain stay. I've not had any problems with it at all. It works beautifully on the trainer, on the road, and in crappy weather...and the screen is similiar to the Astrale.
I have a Garmin 305 too, but I don't use it on the bike. You can change the screen settings easily (I'm quite user hostile and I think Garmin is the easiest gizmo to use!) to display up to 4 parameters on the screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Cateye double wireless. I love that it works on the trainer. My only minor gripe about it is that the sensors can be finicky at times, so if you hit a bump, you might have to adjust the sensor to get cadence/speed back, but I'd imagine that's true of other bike computers as well...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also in the market for one of these...
Right now I am leaning towards the Polar CS200 CAD...I have read favorable reviews and it also measures HR, which is another feature I want.
I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 set up for my road bike and it works pretty well except the Garmin battery life is ~7hours (plus or minus) so that's no good on a long ride. It also badly overestimates elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Polar. I first bought it for my road bike and it worked great. Then I switched it to my Cervelo and have not been able to get the cadence to work. It seems to not be able to get close enough (magnet and censor). I'm taking my bike in soon for a tune-up and am going to see if the tech guys can get it working for me. I was actually thinking about trying something else if they can't get it working. I really like knowing my cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally decided and purchased the Cateye double wireless and now have a question on attaching the computer portion of the unit. The computer bracket it came with places the computer between the aerobars. However, I was planning on using an aerodrink which leaves the computer with no home. Do you use an aerodrink? If so, how/where did you mount your computer? Did you have to buy a different bracket?

I am starting to get so frustrated with this bike. I can't attach my hydrotail and now this. I have a beautiful bike but no way to see how fast I am going or have a place to store fluids.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   can you mount it with zip ties on your stem? That's where mine is.
Last edited by: LuvCheesecake: Mar 25, 08 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendations for a wireless bike computer with cadence [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooooo, I like this thread! Thanks ladies! I have wheels I train on and race wheels and this Cateye Double Wireless sounds like it could remedy a number of issues.... only working on my race wheels and the fact that I spend ALL winter on the trainer because I am a wimp...this would be GREAT!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the same bracket that came with the bike computer, but mounted it on the aerobars so that the computer is off the right side of the right aerobar--not in between the aerobars. This way I can put an aerodrink between the aerobars. With my arms in the aerobars, however, I can't see the display of the computer unless I move my right arm just slightly to see the numbers. It's not ideal, but I don't want to give up my aerodrink. I've seen some folks mount the computer on the stem which would require a different bracket (which your LBS should have), but the space between my stem and aerobars is pretty small (I'm quite short) so that wasn't an option. Also, having the computer on the stem would mean really looking down while in aero. Moving my right arm to look at the computer seems easier and safer.
I had a hard time finding back of the seat water bottle holders for my bike too. The Cervelo seat post isn't the most accomodating of designs. I have a Xlab flatwing on the back of mine. It's certainly not as light as a hydrotail, but Xlab makes a carbon saddlewing that's pretty light.
You do have a beautiful bike--too bad no one's gonna get a good look at it cuz you'll be going so fast ;) Good luck!
Quote Reply