Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spacer problems
Quote | Reply
I am trying to become more aero and lower my handle bars. I am currently riding with two spacers above my headsteam, but cannot move/remove the last two spacers below that, so that i could slide my stem lower. My wife is convinced that the bottom two spacers are not spacers like the top two (although they look identical) and that they are connected to the bike on a permanent basis. I am not completely convinced.

If successful, this would permit me to put them stem at that point that it essentially connects with the wider part of metal that has 'Cane Creek' stamped on it - sorry i don't what that part of the bike is called. Is this what is supposed to happen? Or is this 'cane creek' part connected permanately to the bottom two spacers meaning that I am as low as I am going to get?

I have tried removing the spacers with anti-rust types of stuff like Rp-7 and CRC (I am an Aussie so the brand names may not be familiar), and some multi-grips etc but they are not budging.

In the intrests of promoting peace and harmony (at least within our household) can anybody enlighten me? If they are supposed to be moveable, any tips beyond what I have already tried would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer problems [Geoff Dickson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geoff,

I am no bike mechanics but I will at least try to help you. The 'Cane Creek' stamped piece you are talking about is very likely the top part of your threadless headset (the headset allows the fork to turn in the head tube and supports the weight you put on the handle bars). Now, the part of your story about the spacers you can't remove is a bit disconcerting. Could you post a picture of your setup? You may want to consult the Headset chapter of a Bike Mechanics book. I hope you resolve the issue with your wife!

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer problems [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. here goes with the attempt to show you an image:

http://www.ahs.cqu.edu.au/...lty/115-1528_IMG.JPG

Last edited by: Geoff Dickson: Mar 23, 03 20:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geoff, I smell trouble...

Check the link below for the Cane Creek S2 manual.

http://www.canecreek.com/...et/info/mans_s2.html

From your picture it really looks like the upper an lower cups were swapped. In a normal installation, once you have removed the spacers and pieces 1 through 4 from the drawing, you need to lift up the compression ring (#5). That cut ring is a cone, so insert a spanner wrench in the opening and lift the cone. If you don't have a spanner wrench then you can use a small allen key. Insert it through the hole and apply a force up below the ring to lift it up. That ring is the last part holding everything together. Once you remove it, the other parts should come very easily.

Now, if the lower and upper cups are indeed swapped then I am unsure how the all setup is holding together and that may be a good case for your LBS! The good news is that it would settle your different with both the wife and you being right...

(There is something funny about your case: I always knew you guys were walking up side down but I did not realize that it also implied swapping upper and lower cups of a headset!)

-
Last edited by: Trirunner: Mar 23, 03 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good catch trirunner! i was staring at the picture trying to figure out why it looked funny, but couldn't put my finger on it until i read your post. i agree, definitely looks like the lower cup on the top there, which would explain why he can't get that last "spacer" off. it's actually part of the lower headset cup.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how or when it got that way, but your headset is going to need some professional help. Get to your LBS (unless they are the ones responsible for this obvious error) and quick before you miss further training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One way or another you probably will be able to get your bars low enough. I would head over to your Local Bike Store and seek their sagacious advice. They should be able to take of you on the double, sounds like a simple affair.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, now this is getting confusing because last night with a combination of diesel, lubricant, hammer, screwdriver, multigrips and a toothbrush I was able to free both of the 'jammed' spacers....meaning I was right and my beautiful wife wrong :)

So do you think I still have the cups around the wrong way? They must have been that way for at least three years (the last time I can remember someone working on that section of the bike), perhaps even longer (which would go back to when i bought the bike brand new back in 1998)...

Thanks to all for all the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to read the good news. There is no question the cup you had a hard time removing is the lower cup that goes below your head tube (piece #8 on the S2 Cane Creek manual). If you put it back properly then you should not have to use hammer, multigrips, screwdriver in the future.

It is amazing that your bike was set that way for 3 years. I would never have caught it without the picture!

Enjoy your new, lower setup!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where I think we are getting confused....must be an accent thing...I wasn't trying to remove the cup, simply the lowest spacers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's try to sort it out. Does the last piece that you removed look like the piece #8 on the S2 Cane Creek manual? ie: a cylinder looking like spacers with a conic cup on the bottom?

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO...the last piece I removed was (I think) a spacer...a simple o-ring...If you go back to picture you can see the two top spacers that were easily removed sitting on the table in the background...I was having trouble removing two very similar spacers at the bottom...I successfully removed these last night...All I am/was trying to do was to lower my stem so that can get more aero...I don't have the mechanical skills to play with anything beyond this at this stage...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that changes everything. That means that the cups are not swapped after all. You should then see on your bike the compression ring (#5). If that is true then you are done, ready to put the handlebar at the desired height. Good job!

"I don't have the mechanical skills to play with anything beyond this at this stage...". It is really not that complicated. I am sure you could do it if needed. I had to disassemble my fork for the first time not too long ago. I just checked on a bike mechanics book to make sure I understood what I was looking at and everything went smoothly.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phew...I am gald we sorted out that accent thing...thanks for your help :)
Quote Reply