Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
question about clothing that I don't understand
Quote | Reply
Please don't flame me, I have questions about 2 clothing items that I don't understand. I'm not being facetious. I really do want to know.

First, running skirts. Someone please explain the attraction. Don't they have a short under them? What's the advantage to a skirt over shorts? In general, I'm not a skirt/dress wearer, so that may be part of my not understanding.

Second, compression clothing. I can sort of get compression shorts and pants, but I don't get compression shirts. Don't they interfer with breathing? I think I'd feel very constricted in a compression shirt, sort of like running in a wetsuit. Why do you wear them? What do you like about the compression?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about compression clothing though I am interested to hear other's responses on that topic.

As for a race skirt - I just love mine and simply wear it b/c it's "fun." It makes me smile and I figure once I get off the bike of an IM I want something that will make me smile. Plus I can't tell you how many comments I get on it from spectators. In fact, last year there was a timing mishap at my IM and they didn't think I finished. It was actually a spectator who said "oh no, I saw you finish, you had the hot pink run skirt . You beat my brother and came in at XYZ" so they wrote in my finishing time so it definitely made an impression.

In truth, I actually find my run skirt more comfortable to run in then my tri shorts. Yes, they do have shorts underneath but the shorts in mine don't feel as constricting as tri shorts and I feel as though I'm getting more air flow through my "lower half" which feels great after the bike.

Then again, I love skirts. I wear them pretty much as soon as the weather gets just barely warm enough. Love 'em. Plus, at the end of the day, these thighs were really not meant for shorts of any kind so that finishing photo looks a heck of a lot bettere in a hot pink run skirt. :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.02 on running skirts:
My caboose is wide load and my thighs...uh, quadzilla. Skirts are much more attractive on me than shorts--any shorts! All that fabric wrapping around and drawing attention to that flesh--it ain't pretty. Also, my running skirts have an underware like bottom in them instead of compression shorts. It's nice to run without having elastic or fabric around the thighs and a skirt to cover up the jiggling.
Skirts are cycling...not so much. They look cute, but the extra fabric gets caught on the nose the seat especially when mountain biking.
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your post made my day. my whole life has been centered around *covering up my jiggling.* thank god for things that hide the flesh.
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing a running skirt since I found my first one a couple years ago. I use the wrap skirt by Terry for after cycling and transitioning to running. I've worn it for 2 Ironmans and I get compliments each time.

I wish I could get past it but I just don't want to be thinking about how my ass will look in the race photos. With a skirt, it is covered!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What's the advantage to a skirt over shorts?"

Don't get me wrong. I love short skirts on women but for athletics those skirts don't make much sense. Talk about aero drag when wearing them on the bike as I've seen a few ladies doing.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 23, 08 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who really cares what you think? Seriously.

I love them. Much more fun than shorts. I wore one at the last marathon I ran and I got lots and lots of comments on the fun and cute skirt. 99% from guys. I have a couple of fleece ones from Trailbait that I put on after a cyclocross race and everyone loves them.

And if someone doesn't like a full size figure, fuck 'em.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMEN Cathy! My feelings exactly. I always get comments on my skirt & to quote Shania "I feel like a woman"

Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Male here, so, no experience with the running skirts (as far as you know...) ;-)

But, as can be seen on my posts on the tri forum, I am fully invested this year in compression garments and, seeing no responses to your question about tops, I will throw in my 2 cents. The compression tops are not restrictive and do not feel "tight." They are not anywhere near as thick, tight, and supportive as a sports bra (from what I can tell having never worn a sports bra). They are not as thick as running tights and really do not feel like they are squeezing you, liking running tights sometimes feel. In fact, they really do not feel like they are "compressing" anything. Compression socks feel like they are compressing, but, the tops do not really feel like that.

The best way to describe it -- when you run, it is actually pretty brutal on your entire body. The impact shakes everything, including your upper body (torso, arms, back, etc.). Over time, those little ripple cause fatigue and soreness. The compression tops kinda "dampen" all those little ripples and keep you from getting as tired and sore as quickly. Hard to explain b/c the tops do not squeeze and hold everything in place, just kinda dampens everything. I like it b/c my lower back does not get quite as sore and my arms feel better after long runs. Plus, they are really, really light, and the white tops protect from sun and create a cooling effect when they retain water and have wind pass over them.

Is it really that incredible an experience? Meh. Not really. But, I have noticed some advantages of wearing the tops for long training runs. But, do not think you are going to be wearing a full-body support bra like top. Not like that at all.

P.S.: By the way, I am using the Skins long sleeve top (in white) and the Skins full tights (in black, cause white tights ... yeah ... not a good idea ...).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Mar 22, 08 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Who really cares what you think....And if someone doesn't like a full size figure, fuck 'em."

Now, now, now aren't we being touchy Cathy?

This was not a slight against full figured women. Some of the sexiest women I've ever known are FF.

However, there is a valid point that they don't make much sense in triathlon. The aero drag will most certainly slow you down on the bike, the drag would be fairly substancial on the bike and to a lesser degree probably on the run also. Even on the run a skirt will add a tiny bit of heat, weight and wind drag. Even if the loss on the run is only a few seconds, well it's still a few seconds.

Why spend money on a aero frame, wheels, helmet and then throw the time savings away with a skirt flapping in the wind.

I think this is what the original poster was getting at. To answer her question, a skirt is not performance enhancing item, it's fair to assume that they're worn either for modesty, body image issues or just the latest in tridork fad fashion.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 23, 08 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is that 95% of the people on this board aren't making a full time living at triathlon so why do we feel the need to take ourselves so damn seriously? Sure, a run skirt may slow me down just a bit but it's not like I'm running with a parachute behind me.

I realize that the vast majority of the main forum seems to dwell on the fact that they're all hard core athletes but you may have noticed in the women's forum more focus on trying to balance tri and family, work, etc as well as a few newbies feeling brave enough to pop in and ask questions. There are certainly some incredibly hardcore women here and my hat is off to them - for them the run skirt may indeed not be beneficial. But to the rest of us, for the most part we are trying to do something positive in our life that makes us happy. And if wearing a run skirt makes us happy then so be it. The beauty of being a female athlete/triathlete is that for the most part we're strong enough to have left that middle-school mentality of being afraid about what others think of us behind and we simply do things because it makes us happy.

So if someone doesn't like the way a woman looks in the run skirt we really couldn't care less. And, honestly, if you have enough time in your race to not only notice what one of us is wearing but also pass judgement on it then you really aren't racing fast enough, are you?

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since you're so concerned about what women look like, why don't you put your photo on this site & we'll see if you're worth impressing, mister Nanook the Chiropractor?
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>By the way, I am using the Skins long sleeve top (in white) and the Skins full tights (in black, cause white tights ... yeah ... not a good idea ...). <<

Gotta link for these?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Now, now, now aren't we being touchy Cathy? <<

Actually, no. Just being honest, as you say. I'm finding a very refreshing and nice attitude at the velodrome where big thighs and serious gluts means speed. And since the community is quite small, anyone trying it out is applauded, especially women.

>>However, there is a valid point that they don't make much sense in triathlon.<<

Perhaps. Not so useful on the bike. I was referring to running exclusively. In an IM race, I'd do a quick change in T2.

> Even on the run a skirt will add a tiny bit of heat, weight and wind drag.<<

Doubt it. They are made from very light material and the ones I own are much lighter than any running shorts that I own. Best thing is there is no crotch bunching. The ones I have don't have the shorts underneath, but rather, a brief made from mesh fabric.

>>Why spend money on a aero frame, wheels, helmet and then throw the time savings away with a skirt flapping in the wind.<<

I think this was already very nicely answered by someone else. Though you are not quite correct about the flapping in the wind part. It's not knee-length.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Brooks running skirt and I LOVE it! It has a couple of pockets so I can load up on gels, kleenex, or whatever I think I'll need to carry for longer running events (half marathons). My running and compression shorts usually only have a small key pocket--not big enough to get the job done.

With respect to the compression shorts, I don't really notice a difference in performance. I opted for them because the stock running shorts on the market don't seem to fit me very well. Too baggy or something.
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a run skirt may slow me down just a bit "

If skirts made a triathlete faster I'd be among the very first to be wearing one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the honest answers. I truly never thought about the aesthetics of a skirt vs shorts. I understand a little better about the shirts. I thought they'd be like the pants or tights. This makes more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
>>By the way, I am using the Skins long sleeve top (in white) and the Skins full tights (in black, cause white tights ... yeah ... not a good idea ...). <<

Gotta link for these?

clm

Yep. Here is the link to the Skins website:

http://www.skins.net/us/en/default.aspx

I actually purchased my from trisports.com. Here is the link for the whole line carried by TriSports:

http://www.trisports.com/...orts&query=skins

As a side-note, go to the Skins website (first link) and check out the size chart. They run true to size. I was surpised b/c I hestitated to order the Medium tights, rather than the Medium-Long tights b/c I have really long legs. But, these are made for athletes, including basketball players, so, their version of "long" is really long. The mediums fit me perfectly at 6'2" and the medium-long would be WAY too long. So, check and double check the size chart on the website, but, rest assured they run true to the sizing chart.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ( a man) think the skirts look great, on the bike yeah not aero but on the run I can see why alot of women would want one. Who really cares if a woman wants to wear one or not, attitude is most important, so if you feel good when running you may even run a bit faster. Maybe we should not wear hats or visors, the wind must get all caught up under that thing!!!

2010: RR 100, BW, qualify for Kona at coz!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are missing the point entirely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this thread has gotten quite touchy!

i do wear a compression top and don't find it at all restrictive. it is stretchy enough to move with me as i breathe, and feels like a sports bra with a layer of the thin underarmor.

as for the skirt sports - they are not my style. i wear them a lot in my daily life, but prefer shorts for the bike and run. however, i am not much of a girly girl, don't have an issue with people seeing my thighs, care about those few extra seconds, and just prefer something against my skin. the skirts seem to be great for lots of women though, both to add a touch of femininity to a very male dominated sport, and add a little modesty for those that want that. are they for every woman? certainly not. do some women love them? you bet.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a couple of running skirts because I like the "airiness" of them in hot weather. You feel like your bum is breathing and you won't get as hot. As well, as someone mentioned, skirts seem more likely than short-shorts to feature pockets. I can carry my little cell phone and a gel in mine.

Be sure to try them on! Some of the ones fit funny, or chafe. The Skirtsports ones are maybe the most heavily marketed ones, but I don't care for their shape (and be warned that they run very small). The Brooks are nice. In general Title 9 has a big selection of sport skirts.

Bike skirts with a chamois - I have one pair that I sometimes wear for errands around town or meetings with friends, so that I look passable. They do get kinda caught in the saddle every so often, so I wouldn't use them for actual training rides. Shorter inseam = less likely to get caught on something.

Compression wear, love it. I've never tried the compression tops either, but the CW-X tights and the knee-length shorts are the bomb. I notice a difference in my recovery, after long runs. (Mainly, I notice the next morning...a lot less residual soreness.) I've also tried compression tights on long rides in cooler weather - with padded bike shorts over them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about compression clothing, but I really don't get the whole "running in skirts" thing, either. Skirts are fine for regular clothes or as a coverup to pull on after working out or being at the beach/pool, but why for running and athletics? Should we all learn to ride our bicycles and horses sidesaddle now to accommodate them?

I know I have a vagina--I don't see why I have to wear clothing that announces it or reaffirms my "womynhood" while I'm working out.

What is a skirt hiding or showing off that shorts don't?

I just think they are pointless and silly, and have no plans to wear one in a workout any time soon (er, or ever, really).

Signed: someone who feels skirts are strange workout gear.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIGHT ON!
Quote Reply
Re: question about clothing that I don't understand [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate wetsuits, but everybody has their thing. just like skirts. for some they're alot of fun, and flattering. for others there is no interest. it's all good-everybody has their thing. i think it's great to have options.
Quote Reply

Prev Next