Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hair for swim cap, helmet and run...
Quote | Reply
so going off the triathlons & haircut/styles post, how do you women with ponytails wear your hair for swim, bike and run?

My hair is not thick but is past my shoulders. i am training for my first tri and have already cut it shorter when i started training but still playing around how to wear it under the swim cap and under the helmet. Right now i wear it in a bun under the swim cap and a low ponytail under the helmet and high ponytail for the run. Do people just re-adjust during each transition? what works?
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [run2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I braid it, tuck it under the cap, and let it down (the braid that is) for the bike & run. The undercut (2") makes all the difference. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Andy I go with a braid. Just a simple low one for me, and no undercut. I tuck it into the swim cap, and it fits easily under a helmet for the bike and a visor or cap for the run.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too go with a braid. I french braid mine (so it means adjusting the helmet some) and just tuck the end up under the swim cap. I've seen some women wear braided pig tails, but I don't think I could pull that off!
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear the pig tails, I hope I am pulling off ok...but I find that one on each side is much more comfortable than one long one down my neck. (I have ROM issues with my neck, so any little bit helps when it comes to comfort.)

When my hair was a little shorter, I just wore it down. It probably looked horrible but it was comfortable. I remember one race last season I just plopped on a stiff headband as I was heading out for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have long thick curly hair and for short course stuff I usually just adjust it accordingly- I keep it in a low ponytail and shove it under my swim cap so when I transition onto the bike I don't have to fiddle with it. Because it is so thick, I usually wear a visor on the run so I have to pull the ponytail up higher up on my head so it's not sitting on my neck / back. I can usually do that on my way out of transition. For my first ironman, I didn't want to have to fiddle with my hair (I was too busy worry about everything else) so I had 2 of my friends put it in braided pig-tails, much like Pipi Longstocking. I had no strays come out and it was easy enough to shove them under my swim cap and helmet and for the run all I had to do was put my visor on. I will probably do the same thing for this years Ironman. Seems to work for me.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [redrunningshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this thread
every time I go to get a cut and color my stylist wants to do all these layers and I always have to say
"No I cant, I have to be able to pull it back for my triathlons
so I wear it semi layers and shoulder length and I like all of you do the french braid or the low pony tail
I bought a new helmet this past summer and freaked out becuase it did not have hole in back for my pony tail

hahahaha

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you everybody for your responses. it sounds like the low braid is the way to go if i want to keep the length. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I got my haircut on friday(!!), I used to do the two french braids for racing. It just took me freaking long to do on race morning! But worked pretty well under the swim cap, helmet, and then I used a visor for running.

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low ponytail again here, and if it's getting long, I braid the ponytail.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long thick wavy hair here. Most races I do the french braid thing. It's easy to flip it up under the swim cap, the bike helmet just plunks right down on my head and then hat or visor for the run.
In ironman I did the ponytail. That was fine for a longer race, I actually kind of liked being able to adjust it a bit when needed on the run.
love my long hair. Had it chin-length and that sucked - but when I did, I used a flat metal barette to pull it off my face for tris - I think it looked a little goofy, but oh well. But my hair doesn't work short, I found short hair MUCH more work than long. With short hair I had to blow dry it and straighten it, or I just had weird semi-funky waves. Now I wash and go. It looks super. Few long "texturizing" type layers. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do two very short braids, since mine is too short to fit into one braid. usually for cycling i do a low pony tail, but i stick to the braids for tris because they are comfortable under the aero helmet, and feel better on the run. the two braids are functional, and the one sort of girly part of my tri gear. i sort of feel like i'm 10, but i learned that redoing a pony tail on the run going out of T2 isn't an option because my hands don't function by that point.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who french braid your hair: How do you learn to do it? I've had short hair for the past 19 years, and the only person in my family who knew how to french braid hair (my grandmother) passed away in 1997 without teaching me how. When I decided to grow my hair out, I discovered it was a bigger hassle to style than I remembered it being...

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two braids here. When they hit my knees when aero it's time for a hair cut.

RR
Quote Reply
Re: Hair for swim cap, helmet and run... [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I french braid my hair and I'm afraid I taught myself how to do it. My mom used to do it as I was growing up, and I've had other people do it over the years... but one day I said, Hey, I can do this. It took some practice but I got it eventually.

Maybe it would be good pre-race bonding with another friend or competitor? Get them to do it? Make an announcement over the loudspeaker? Hey, it worked when I needed a wheel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have hair past my shoulders and it's thickish with layers. I just pull it up in a bun under the cap for the swim, pull it into a low ponytail under the helmet for the bike, and that ponytail goes through my hat for the run. I'm in a hat (a visor doesn't work either) when I work out the entire year...I just cannot handle hair in my face and short hair on me would just be wrong.
Quote Reply