Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing with Red Bull
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that a number would have been using this or similar drink products for a while.

I'm proposing to dilute it with water and put it in my run bag (I've been using the drink in training but straight from the can). Problem is the run bag needs to be checked in the day before. Has anyone had any problems doing this (eg does the taste of the drink change if its been opened overnight and not refrigerated)?

I guess I could put an unopened can in my run bag but then there is the problem of running with an effervescent drink.

Any comments gratefully accepted!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Red Bull [Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roy

At the risk of stating the obvious - this evening why don't you just dilute as you will in the race leave it out over night (not in the fridge) and see what it tastes like in the morning.

Kind Rgds

Pete
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Red Bull [pete_newing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete - I will try it for myself, but was concerned that there may have been some chance of the product oxidising into a toxic substance. Just trying to benefit from the collective experience/wisdom before taking the risk myself. Rgds Roy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Red Bull before early morning training and I think it has some positive benefit. The stimulants seem to wake me up. It has a lot of stuff in it that ends in "ine": Caffeine, Taurine, Gasoline, etc.... Stuff works great. AS for in the race? Hmmm, never did it. Don't know.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Red Bull [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used it several times. I drink a can about 30 minutes before a sprint race. Seems to help some. Who knows for sure. I've not tried it for anything more than an oly.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it on a half marathon last year- unless it is defizzed, it is a disaster. My fuel belt bottles had expanded by two times. Defizz it and it's fine. I liked the extra "jolt" it gave me when I had tired legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Red Bull [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks folks - For what its worth, I thought I'd let you know the results of my *trial*. On Saturday morning I poured a bottle (330ml) of Red Bull into a small bidon and shook the bejesus out of it for a few minutes. Upon being satisfied that it was flat, I made up the balance of the bidon with water.

I left the bidon out of the refrigerator over night and used the bidon between a sprint race on Sunday morning and a longer ride on Sunday afternoon. The drink didn't seem to have oxidised (ie there wasn't any difference to the taste) and nor did it make me sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another easier way to get rid of the carbonation is to throw it in the microwave for a short while...

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply