Login required to post replies

The Flu
Quote | Reply
WHAAAA!!!!!!!
I am still recovering from the flu last week, I had it bad
I am so ready to not feel dizzy and to stop coughing
I have not worked out since a week ago Sunday

HELP
anyone out there have suffered the flu and can give me a time line on when I will feel well enough to work out again
I have a half marathon in 5 weeks then 1/2 IM Kansas coming up

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Last edited by: trichic: Mar 17, 08 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: The Flu [trichic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO sorry that you had the flu. I had two bouts of it last year and was pretty sure I was going to die. I had the whole shivering/sweating while lying on the bathroom tile thing going on and was miserable. I was down for 6-7 days each time and had to start back slowly. Walks around the block, light swims, easy short spins - that sort of thing. After a week of that I was pretty much good to go. However, I didn't have the cough. Definitely take it easy and keep an eye on the cough. You'll be fine for your half marathon and 70.3 Kansas; sometimes the forced rest is exactly what the body needs. It's better to look after yourself now and get it over with then to have some lingering illness.

halliet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sympathies, I've been hit with the flu twice this year.

Definitely take it easy, it would so suck to push yourself too hard too soon and get sick again. When you do start training again, use your HR monitor and if your heart rate is way too high then either back off or stop your workout entirely.

I'll echo what halliet said, a forced rest can be good for you - I set a huge PR after missing over a week of training due to illness fairly close to a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got the flu for the first time in 11 years last month.

10 days from first day of fever to the next time I felt relatively normal and could try a short run.

baby yourself. might as well just rest up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No flu for me, I have strep instead. But 'd say that's better, because after a day of penicillin I'll be feeling better. Oh, and the vicodin helps.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you rest now you'll be fine for your marathon, no sweat.

but the key is rest now to get better, then you'll be able to do your event. just take your time, if you've followed a good schedule and done the work, you should be ready to rumble.
Quote Reply
Re: The Flu [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the flu with a bad cough about a month before a marathon once. I kind of trained through it in a gibbly fashion, ran the marathon and then had about a month off afterwards because I developed bronchitis. My advice: get lots of rest and get totally rid of the bug. You'll still be able to run your marathon I'm sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The Flu [kimbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok here's my update

I got the flu/strep/stomach flu on March 10th
It has been a slow slow recovery
I have had to force feed myself to gain back strength

I finally was able to swim on Friday - I could not because I still had that awful cough

I was supposed to run 10 today but since I was sick 2 weekends in a row I ran 8
yep I am beatin myself up about it
I physically could not run anymore
I am still weak
UGH!!
avoid this sickness like the plague - it is bad!!!!
thanks for all your words of encouragement

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugggg I got it on Friday. Luckily, I went right to the clinic and got tested ( it is Flu B) and got started on Tamiflu. My hair still hurts, but I don't have a fever. I am racing California 70.3 so this had better pass. I am just chalking it up to a more sever taper than I usually do. Right now I cant seem to stay awake longer than 30 min. This blows
Quote Reply