Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

extending the life span of a swim suit?
Quote | Reply
I seem to be going through swim suits at an alarming rate, and given how expensive they are, i'm looking for tips on how to make them last longer. I've been using my current speedo one for just a few months, and is already wearing thin in places. I'm usually in the pool (heavily chlorinated i'm told) 3-4 days a week. I do dry it in that wring-out-the-water noisy thing at the pool, and i usually just rinse it out with water. also, they seem to stretch out a LOT. they are snug tight when i buy them, and then hanging off me by the time they go in the trash.

i am not much of a "swimmer" so any help with this dilema would be greatly appreciated :)

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some suits will just do that. Some of the speedo line seems to do it quicker than other types. I have had good luck with the Speedo Endurance line, they last forever (but they aren't as cute). Or if I'm going for cute suits I buy Club Swim from Swimoutlet they seem to last as long as other suits and they are only $20 a suit. I stock up on those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I do dry it in that wring-out-the-water noisy thing at the pool, and i usually just rinse it out with water

FWIW, my understanding is that's a no-no!!! It will stretch the fibers of the suit. I've never ever used that machine and I can go a season with one suit -- though granted I am not a swim-aholic. It's like pulling teeth to get me to the pool and I get there grudgingly so. When I'm "in season" I will swim 3x a week.

I get my suits from sierratradingpost.com and never get one for more than $20. Usually a Speedo or Dolfin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use that spinner anymore. Just rinse in clean water, lightly hand ring it out, and hang to dry . Try some of the other long wear suits - splish, dolfin uglies, the speedo endurance, all last much longer than a normal lycra suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No time to read other posts, but : DO NOT USE THE WRINGY OUT THING

wears away at the integrity of the fabric. Our coaches would fuss and fuss at us when I was younger for doing that...eventually so did my parents b/c the suits stopped lasting as long!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is to try a polyester suit. I get about 9 months or so out of polyster suit comparied to the 3 I was getting from the lycra ones swimming about 4.5 hours week or so. The polyester suits also hold their shape and stay snug for the entire lenght of the suit. The speedo endurance suits recommended above are polyester and most other companies have at least 1 polyester model. FWIW, I really like my Nike suits. Polyester suits tend to run a but higher in price (around $70-80)than lyrca suits but deals can be found at Kiefer and in the last couple of catalogs the SIerra Trading Posts have had the speedo endurance suits for around $45.00.

I know some people find they need to order 1 size up in polyester suits but I haven't found the need to do this. The first couple of swims in a new suit are just extra tight.

Hope this helps!
Deanna
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this recommendation! When I got into tri's in 2005 I bought a normal bathing suit that started to fall apart within a month, frustrating as it wasn't cheap. I then bought a Tyr polyester suit that lasted through a year and a half of three swims a week. When it started to lose it's shape I replaced it with a Sugoi polyster suit that is starting to get a little faded but otherwise is still totally functional.

One thing to remember with polyester is that it has no give, at least for the first year you own it, so how it fits in the change room is how it will fit in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polyester suit is the ticket. I got a Speedo and have used it for close to a year now. It might not look as good and is losing a little shape, but it fits well enough and isn't thinned out anywhere. They often cost more, but I saw them in the women's Sierra post catalog (as previously recommended) for $30!

I have been using the wringy thingy but will quit from now on. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LADIES!!! I've been thinking about posting this for a couple of weeks! I am JUST now about to retire the best suit I've ever owned!

What you see below is a pic of me in a Speedo Endurance suit I purchased in APRIL of 2005!! Yes, 2005! I'm in the swirly colored suit and yellow cap. The picture is taken last August at a practice swim for IM Louisville. I've trained in this suit in lakes, chlorinated pools, and everywhere in between since 2005. The two of us have trained through IM FLorida in 2005, IM Wisconsin in 2006 and Louisville in 2007. We are just starting training for IM Florida again and it's time for it to retire. I love the colors, I love the fabric, I love everything about it. It's as bright in the photo as the day I purchased it. The ONLY reason I have to retire it is because the lining is just starting to tear in large shreds.

HOW I'VE CARED FOR IT:

After EVERY swim, I rinse it (used to only rinse it with cold water... now I just rinse it in the shower), spin it in the spinny thing at the gym. Then, the important step, I take it home, fill up a sink of COLD water, add IVORY dish liquid and CHLOR-OUT or a similar anti-chlorine fish aquarium treatment liquid. It only takes about 10 drops or so and REALLY adds life to the suit.

I NEVER enter a hot tub with my training suit on... if I did I might as well put my suit down a garbage disposal.

So, I would absolutely recommend a Speedo Endurance suit to anyone. Tyr has a similar polyester suit, I don't know much about their fit/quality, however. You can pick up CHLOR-OUT or similar aquarium at the fish section of Walmart or a fish store. It's cheap, it's easy...

Mourning the end of my favorite suit,
Jodi

Last edited by: Tri tri again: Mar 20, 08 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polyester all the way - I have been using these suits for several years and the only reason I end up needing to replace them is because get bored with the suit. It holds it's shape and does not thin out - I've found the suits at EQ Swimwear to be really great quality. Here's a link to the website: http://www.eqswimwear.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polyester (Splish, Dolfin) - and no wringy thing.
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Speedo Endurance+ suits. They usually last at least 6 months to 1 year (swimming 4 times per week) and I go in the hot tub, stick it in the dryer, etc...

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another of polyester + no spiny thing

I also just rise mine in the shower. I prefer the 2 piece training suits, and TYR makes a polyester one. I haven't so far found any other poly 2 piece ones, but it's ok since I can't even see any wear on it yet and I've had it for at least a year.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One trick that has helped me is to sit on a kick board before getting into the pool at the start of the workout, rather than on the concrete side of the pool. That has reduced the wear on the rear of the suit considerably.

I don't even kick with a board, I just use it for getting in. And it is a good place to "claim" my area for my water, pull buoy, etc.

Sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard, but not tried to rinse w/ baking soda after use.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, don't wring it out. Or use the machine dry thingie...

I hate the feel of polyester suits, so I usually buy lycra ones from the speedo sale bin. I just ordered a new one this morning :D

buy it a size smaller than you usually do and then it will stretch and be comfy instead of stretching and getting too big.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option for someone on a budget who likes to try on first is your local swim shop. Look for their bargain area, where I go "dumpster diving." $80-120 practice suits may be found for $20-30, as long as you're not too choosy about color or size. At up to $100 off retail, I'll wear almost anything but a man's suit and save my pennies for disc wheels on race day!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [TriSally] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a polyester suit over 1.5 years ago... I use the wringing machine on it, and it still looks brand new!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poly suit will last you years. I like the Tyr ones best. But that's cuz I have a serious booty and speedos seem to be designed for those with less junk in the trunk ;-) AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize I'll probably get chastised for this, but I wash mine in the washer once a week with regular laundry. Then hang it to dry. My suits last a pretty long time and I think this is why, although conventional wisdom (I think) is that it's bad for the suit.

Also, I get my suits at swimoutlet.com They have a grab bag feature and you can get speedos/tyr, etc. for about 29 bucks or so. Now, you don't get to pick the color, but I haven't gotten anything too egregious, yet!

Em

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2+ on the polyester suits over the lycra.

You can find Tyr one piece suits at trizone.com for $39. http://www.tri-zone.com/...at=12&item=TYDMX
Quote Reply
Re: extending the life span of a swim suit? [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big thumbs up on the poly suits. I have abused mine for 3+ years now and it's STILL going. I got a 2nd one just because I got bored with the same suit - now I can rotate just for variety.
The colors are still brilliant, I'm in the pool 2-3x per week for 90 mins a shot, and I use the suit spinner EVERY time. I did not know they were "bad" for the suits but mine has held up like a champ!
I have a TYR 100% poly / pbt suit.
Once in a while, I throw it in the washing machine with the other exercise clothes.
Now that I've gone poly, I'll never go back!

As a side note - it seems that they have also managed to make them "softer" - my new poly suit is softer than my old one and seems to have a touch more stretch. Both suits are TYR and both claim the same fabric content on the tags.
Quote Reply