Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc)
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use these? My prescription is very light, and I rarely drive. (I have not changed my prescription in decades, btw) So my previous strategy was to use prescription sunglasses (Oakleys for riding), and if I have to drive at night/in rain that is the only time I use regular clear glasses.

I have misplaced my Oakleys, but I have been thinking about replacing them with a more biking specific sort of model that gives eye protection, even on cloudy days. But usually people who use these wear contacts for correction.. I checked out Rudy Project, they and some others make lenses that are photo sensitive. However you cannot put a prescription in these.

I am a bit muddled by this dilemma. Add one last factor, as I get older I get this "farsighted" aspect as well. So even when I did have my Oakley's, it was hard to read my stopwatch with them on, since the lenses are for nearsightedness.

Is anyone following this? Any advice? thanks..sorry if it is confusing...I can think of worse age-related problems....
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.heavyglare.com/...7/Bolle/Women's.html

I hope this helps.... I got of a pair of Bolle's 2 yrs ago. (amber color lens...I love) There are a lot more styles (small frames) to choose from than 2 yrs ago.

I'm farsighted also... I can't see when I swim... I need glasses to bike... doesn't matter when running

cc
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 yrs ago I was out on a Randonne ride & realized I could read the cue map to figure out where I was. Previously I had bolle with a n rx distance only insert.

I ended up getting new Rudy Project Rydon for glasses & then the rx insert (very light 24 g) with my progressive prescription. Works well. Can change lense as needed for weather/light conditions.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One word, Tifosi! The best value in glasses around. Rx lenses are excellent and the frames don't break the bank. Several styles and colors available. You can order via Tifosi, if you have a current prescription, they take the info and forward to a dealer for payment and delivery.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/rx.html
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Bolles. They are pricey but work very well. When I bought my first pair, the only colour of lens they had was dark. Now you can get amber and one that turns from clear to grey - very handy on cloudy days.

The only problem, as pointed out, is that if you wear lenses for distance you can't read watches or your bike computer very well.
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [R900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow......time for a new pair of glasses.... I went to http://www.tifosioptics.com/rx/index.html a lot more selections
for small face and great colors !!!

Thanks !!
Quote Reply
Re: 40+ riders? Prescription Glasses for Biking? (Rudy Project , etc) [oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I will have to save and study this thread after the weekend. I did tri on the Trifosi's a few weeks ago and they were decent. Good to have a second opinion.

Also, Terry bikes sent a fancy email today that they are doing sunglassses now. Don't know if it's new or if I never noticed before. Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure i can figure this out in the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WeRide,

You can get Transitions (which change tint based on UV lt levels) in most Oakley frames now. Not sure about Rudys for this.

Since you've eclipsed that magical '40' barrier, you may sacrifice some near vision acuity (ie bike computer) for distance clarity as you have already noted. You can put a progressive multifocal lens in there but you may not like the peripheral distortions while riding. It may come down to making a decision on what's more important for you - distance or near clarity - and that will depend on your Rx. It could be that your distance vision is not too bad uncorrected.

Another option for multiple lens tints and a prescription insert is the Adidas, especially the Supernova. You can wear the insert with your Rx in place if you like or take it out and still wear the tinted lens (with contacts?). You can have multiple lens tints if you like for varying light conditions.

Hope that helps. PM me your Rx if you want more specific help.

robert
Quote Reply