Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
botox and fillers, oops
Quote | Reply
has anyone done this?

i'm concerned about the smile lines around my cheeks, they're not huge but i noticed it in the last year.

***ok, i put oops in the title because apparently this thread has peeved some people off if you can believe that. so my last word is for those of you who are offended, sorry, but maybe don't read it! this is a topic that women don't get to talk about too much in the open, so here it is. also i'm was just trying to poke fun of myself and "aging" in general, hence the ridiculous pics of me in the bathroom looking like a dork. someone asked me to take it down, but i will not, i think it is important for us to be able to talk about anything. :) cheers!
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 14, 08 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought about it yes, done it no. I just can't seem to justify the cost (at this time), and I'm afraid that it's a slippery slope.

You start with a little botox and restalyn and wake up one day looking like Joan Rivers.

I'm trying to embrace aging but it's tough. I definately feel that triathlon has done a number on my skin. I'm now much more careful with sunscreen and trying to wear shirts with sleeves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had botox, but no fillers. Done between eyebrows, temples (for crow's feet) and forehead because I had lines from raising my eyebrows all the time. Gotta say, I love it. Have done it every 6 months and it's made a huge difference. Still have expression, but skin is just so much smoother. Hasn't been a slippery slope for me, as it's the only "cosmetic" thing I've ever done. I'm not secretive about it and have asked for opinions from friends and they've all said it gives a "fresher" appearance but they can't put their finger on why. I'm a convert :)
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers [jen jen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much does botox cost?
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it every 3-4 months and love it... I'll admit to teetering on the slippery slope, but haven't fallen over yet. They charge by the unit, so the more you get the more it costs.

mtngirl- minimum is about $300 or so.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for all the candor. Nobody I know talks about this openly.

I am 100% sure I'd go careening down that slippery slope if I did it once. Forget 'filler', I'd need spackle and a trowel. Plus, it is hard enough to keep up on my roots, let alone wrinkles.

However, it is interesting to know how widespread the use of Botox has become. Rock on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two months ago I had fat from my thighs put in the lines by my mouth. This method is more painful than synthetic injectibles, but lasts longer - sometimes several years.

I formerly was of the anti-injection school of thought - ferociously so. Then I changed my mind so fast it caused mental whiplash. I like it. It's subtle.

A couple years ago I had a bout of colon cancer and I've recently bumped into some industry people who last saw me then. They don't think I've had "work" done, but say how healthy and recovered I look. A quick Doc visit and a hair cut is all.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holly cow, was it expensive to do that?

i've got plenty of fat on my ass to redistribute, maybe this is how i could make a positive out of it!

i think Botox, in "moderation" (LOL) is not a bad thing. it's when the faces are totally frozen stiff that it's overboard.

i used to get acrylic nails, and currently am a fake blonde (my real hair color is light to medium brown, but it gets colored to look like honey, as in honey blonde). the nails are long gone, and i've been a little freaked out at turning 33. so i could substitute the face fillers for the nails, right? if i could get the mouth lines "filled in" maybe this would artificially pump up my happiness and level of self esteem. then i could finally function as a normal person in society!

(just kidding...i have no desire to function as a normal person.) :) :) :) :)

LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is my big wrinkle. see it? it sees you!

and here is another shot of it. forgive the dorthy hamill haircut, it's wretched i know. next week i see my hair stylist, which is WAY overdue. this hair is kind of like a cross between a soccer mom and dorthy hamill, i guess. not to mention i've been rained on several times today. but the real point is, LOOK AT THAT BIG SMILE LINE, GAWD!

Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 14, 08 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers (with smile line pics that i took of myself in the bathroom) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm...you won't get a conventional mammogram, but you want to inject foreign substances or even poison (botox) into your face?

boggles the mind
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers (with smile line pics that i took of myself in the bathroom) [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
touche, i never said it had to make sense.

if it was fat from my own butt this is a little different than radiation accumulating in the body.

anyway, i'm not being "that serious". (just horsing around, in other words). it's friday, nothing like a little self depreciating humor.
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 14, 08 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers, oops [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
33? You're still a babe and look great. I'd hold out on doing it for a few more years. I don't see a wrinkle, seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers (with smile line pics that i took of myself in the bathroom) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry if I offended...I should have posted in pink, I think...

It just struck me as odd for you, because I get the feeling you are super-health/holistic conscious and wouldn't do "foreign" things to your body.

And...what wrinkle? :) Seriously, I hardly see anything in those pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Kitty,

You are so cute, I know how you feel, my daughter is 30 and I cannot convince her to save my life that she is gorgeous! I remember thinking I looked so much older at 30 something, now at 50 I realize I didn't know a thing about aging! I'm sure when I'm 70 I'll look back at 50 and say the same thing. Anyway, I have had restylane injections in my lips to get rid of the wrinkles you get around the lips that are so bad lipstick actually seeps into them. I'm sorry, that happend to my grandma and I'm just not ready to be as old as grandma yet. I got botox in the brow area this year and was amazed at the difference it can make. Mine was only $125 and it lasts about 4 months. The restylane lasts about 6 months. At first I think it makes my lips alittle too poofy but my 20 year old daughter loves it and after a month or so it gets down to the just right phase..

I get my hair done too, if I didn't I'd be totally grey and I'm not ready for that. I think the thing about being in great shape as you get older is that it is disconcerting to look in the mirror and see how much the outside doesnt' reflect the inside if you know what i mean..

I know three triathlon women, two of them really good athletes, who have had breast implants. Nothing looks more odd than a triathlete with huge boobs. I think about it sometimes though. Not because I'm insecure or need a man's attention (I have a great husband who hardly notices the stuff I do already) no, I just think it would be fun, way better than just a new pair of sexy underwear! Of course I would never do it. It is dangerous, can be quite expensive and I cannot imagine how I would explain huge, perky boobs to all the other old ladies in the nursing home when I'm close to 90!

I don't think doing a few things here and there is a 'slippery slope'. I have facials and peels now and then as well. Our skin suffers quite a bit from all this training, we need the little extra something.

i have not used fillers in any facial wrinkles as of yet. My doc has encouraged me to try it on the one wrinkle I have around my mouth. maybe next time, I'll let you know how it goes if i do...

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers (with smile line pics that i took of myself in the bathroom) [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sorry if I offended...I should have posted in pink, I think...

It just struck me as odd for you, because I get the feeling you are super-health/holistic conscious and wouldn't do "foreign" things to your body.

And...what wrinkle? :) Seriously, I hardly see anything in those pics!

NO, it wasn't you! It was some jackasses--2 of them, they didn't have the guts to post here.

and FWIW, i think the wrinkle was blended out a bit by the light. but...maybe i'm just freaking out over my birthday. when my birthday came i didn't have time to think about it (it was near Christmas and our anniversary, plus a family death...ack! it was crazy. so this is like the "after effect" or something. lately i've been walking around thinking "i'm 33 oh my god, how did i get here?!")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joanne,

Age is a state of mind. I truly believe that.

Done it? No. Never will. Now, sucking some fat out is another story! I guess not looking my age helps too.

I think people (not just women) are bombarded by "look this perfect" every day from every corner and it just seeps into the unconsciousness. Want it driven home? Go have a basil cell carcinoma cut out of your face by a (very renowned in the area) plastic surgeon. One of his first words to me was, "Your right eye is a shade higher than the left." Well, OK, whatever.

I also agree with bt--no mammogram but shoot yourself full of crap? I don't get it.

cranky clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha....ok I'm just being a smart ass, but really, WHAT wrinkles?

I sorta didn't freak out till 43 the age I christened the invisible age, stopped getting occasionally carded, hit on by much younger men, etc. I decided, no matter how hard I try, no matter how much plastic I do, I will never be (or have the body/skin tone) in my 20s, 30s whatev so stop fretting about it. The thing that freaks me out is how now 60+ y/o men think they can hit on me (I'm 45) It's funny cuz I'm like "eww, buddy my husband's 35, think again"

I don't necessarily think it's a slippery slope but I also think, from the few women I've seen who have botox that yes, absolutely their skin looks smoother, etc. But I'll never be fooled into thinking they're anything but their age, or somewhere around their biological age. I just could never justify that much expense just to make myself feel better about my face -- creams and potions, yes :) It's just wherever your line in the sand is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it (botox).

I've had a very expression-filled face since I was a kid. My forehead started developing lines well before college. Botox is an incredible fix for that. I also have smile lines (which I've had for decades) and I'm not sure they're fixable or that I'd even want to fix them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a huge line across my brow, it's been there for years. I occasionally think I'll go get it filled, but I always chicken out. I worry about the slippery slope too, and the idea of doing it every 3-6months bothers me... sigh. I found that certain cremes have helped but every morning I see my big line... If you decide to go for it, let me know how it goes.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm turning 33 this year and am not too freaked (yet) about getting older. Though until this morning, when my husband reminded me, apparently I've been telling people I'm 31 for the past six months or so b/c I honestly thought I was. Apparently my memory is the first to go. :)

I haven't done botox yet but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out in the future between my brows. I kinda like my smile lines b/c to me they show I've laughed a lot and isn't that a good sign of a life well lived? I am thinking of getting my teeth whitened this year though but I'm holding it out as a carrot in terms of "If my business makes $XX revenue then I'll reward myself with whitening."

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 33, I don't know why you're worrying about a mammogram unless you have a family history issue. I had a baseline when I was 38 and it was so early, insurance didn't pay for it (thanks doc!).

I'm glad you brought up the botox. I just turned 41 and occassionally think about doing something more than just moisturizing like crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers, oops [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 years ago it was supposed to be some big secret if an older woman colored her hair "does she or doesn't she?". Now we don't even think twice about covering grey or getting highlights/lowlights and such even if there is no grey. I think some plastic surgery procedures should be put in the same category as hair dyeing, bikini waxing, etc. There is plenty of research and information readily available to help a person determine what the risks are...if any. If you make sure you go to a competent professional and you don't mind spending the money; if it makes you feel good about your appearance, then do it.

I wouldn't spend a single second worrying about the plastic surgeon's comments on your supposed asymmetry. I think they have that focus and tend to pick out phyical 'imperfections' in everyone they meet.

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too many wrinkles here, I have been using sunscreen every day rain or shine for years....but I am kinda 'saggy' in the face at times. I dont think botox is meant for this. Any ideas?
And also not meaning to hijack thread but its on topic: has anyone tried strivectin, supposedly 'better than botox' , or have any other lotions to recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 23 yr old daughter gets botox in her arm pits about every 4th months. She suffers from extreme arm pit sweat. She can just stand there and leak. However, the day of or after every visit she gets pretty sick.

Botox for me..... No......I'm only a few days away from 46 and I like the way I look and I'm happy with my body. It's my insides that worry me.... Too many friends, family & co-workers going through some kind of cancer. My concerns are in a different place right now . Although who knows how I'll feel in the upcoming aging years.
Quote Reply
Re: botox and fillers, oops [oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Botox and fillers
I am a personal trainer and one of my clients is a face doc so I get it free!!
I am single and like'em young so inject away!!!!!!

I also do microdermabrasion and chemical peels

when she offers the more invasive - I am sooo there!!

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next