Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Me, Help My Wife Choose a Bike Seat!
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I built my wife up a road bike but the only extra seat I have now is a stock Cervelo, which is a real brick. So, I was wondering what would be some good suggestions for seats for her to be looking out for to try since she is new to cycling.

She keeps asking me what she should try, but, ahhh, I don't have experience with these matters. Any suggestions?

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Help Me, Help My Wife Choose a Bike Seat! [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, ok, I didn't even see the women's saddles... thread! I guess you can tell this is my first time in The Womens.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a road bike, choose anything from Terry. the Butterfly is probably the best. For a Tri bike, choose the Profile Design Tri Stryke
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my wife got her new bike, she had also scheduled a professional fitting. As part of the process she must have tested out most of the aftermarket saddles the store carried - San Marco Aspide & Azoto, Terry, Profile Design, Fizik Tri, road saddles, tri saddles... Too much pressure, too wide, just plain uncomfortable.

Out of everything she chose a Fizik Aliante, a stock take-off from one of the bikes in the showroom. If it works, it works!

Hopefully your LBS has a generous exchange policy or "test units" and she can try a bunch out.

Practice makes better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a difficult proposition to suggest 'one seat fits all' women. Hopefully, you have an LBS that, as some previous poster suggests, has a nice library of saddles to try. As a retailer, we have realized the value of having a dozen or so saddles that prospective buyers can try out on our size cycle. Albeit, a few minutes on a saddle may not be the ideal way to identify the best saddle, but it will certainly help narrow the field of possibilities.

Terry has a 30 day return policy; your wife may want to try out the Butterfly or one of the Terry models to start. If it doesn't work out for her, then she can return or exchange for a new one.

Good Luck!

(Personally, I really like the Fizik Vitesse. But that's just one possibility.)

Leanne Charnas
Co-Owner,
Tri-Tech Multisport
Columbus, Ohio
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me, Help My Wife Choose a Bike Seat! [leannecharnas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Quote Reply