Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

birth control and training
Quote | Reply
I recently went off birth control (a little over a month ago) and I had been on it for 5 years or so (4 years on the patch and 1 on the ring). I know there are symptoms when you go off, but on some days they really seem to be effecting my training. I get tired a lot faster and sometime a little dizzy. The doctors said it is normal and once my body gets back to normal I should be fine.

Just wonering if anyone went through this?
Quote Reply
Re: birth control and training [kikjoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went off the bc pill last July. Since then my cycles have been all over the map. I'm currently going 110 days since my last period. In addition, recent blood work has shown that my iron and B12 are very low. Looking back at August/September and October I can't recall being "really" tired. My training volume wasn't that intense in the late summer/fall so I can't really offer much insight. Currently, I have a couple days a week when I am completely exhausted when I get home from work. Walking the dog becomes my work out - albeit the footing is challenging in the snow but come on one day I can do a 2 hour swim run brick without problems and the next day I'm exhausted from walking the dog and shovelling - its frustrating. As a result I have not been able or willing to increase my training. I'm paranoid that I will get sick (so many people have gotten really sick this winter and I was sick at Christmas and that was enough). I am practicing "listening" to my body and not my mind when it comes to training.

Birth control has a direct impact and effect on your body. It will take time for your body to adjust and "re-set" itself. Be patient. For some women it doesn't take too long and for others it could take a year. Looking back I really wish I had gone off birth control years ago but hindsight is always 20-20 right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but you need to push your GP for some basic blood tests. Check your iron and your thyroid. It won't hurt, but the fatigue could easily be related to either of those, and is more likely than going off BC.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rika -- glad to see there is someone else that is feeling the same way. I can swim 2 miles and bike 25 miles one day...and the next I can't even swim 3/4 of a mile! It sucks! My doc said it is not going to hurt me to push through...so guess just man up and do it!

I have had blood tests and a full work up and everything was normal. I saw both my GP and my OBGYN because it was a prepregnancy checkup to. So, they were checking for EVERYTHING. I was like a pin cushion!

thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply