Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q. about aero position
Quote | Reply
OK, so just go the new tri bike all set up on the nice new Kinetic trainer and done a couple days.
This is my first experience riding aero, so eager to get used to it before heading outdoors (which given Michigan's weather might be June!!!!)

Granted since I'm indoors I've stayed aero the whole time as no traffic or what have you to deal with.

I notice that the upper portion of my pubic bone is very sore -- a much different soreness than riding a road bike.

is this normal? Could I be doing something wrong? Placing my weight in the wrong area? Or do I just need to get used to this new position :)

Tnx!
Quote Reply
Re: Q. about aero position [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the tri position you do put more pressure on the perineal and pubic areas, as well as holding your neck in more extension. I rode tri bikes (QR Kilo and Cervelo P2K) for five years and could never get crotch or neck comfort and this past year went to a more "muti-sport" type position on a Kesterl Talon, which I find much more comfortable.

I could be the sadddle itself or if you have it slanted up perhaps? I found that saddles I found comfy on my road bike didn't always work on my tri bike and for me were always most comfortable in a neutral position. You may have to experiment with different saddles or tilts.

I've never been much for the "you'll get used to it" philosophy. If it's not comfortable at first it won't be any more comfy later, you just learn to tolerate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never could ride in the aero position on my trainer. Outside, no problem. Inside, problem.
So, I just use my road bike on the trainer. Tri bike is ridden outside only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I SO feel what you're saying. I remember posting to a tri forum after I rode my tri bike the first few times bc of feeling so freaking bruised! I ended up getting a new seat (profile design works for me-extra padding in front) and also raised the bars a little bit (some stacking rings or whatever they are called).

Have you been fitted? If so, maybe try a few different seats out-that's what I had to do to finally get it to so that I don't feel bruised every time I bike. I also played around with the the seat positioning (up down, a little back or forward, etc.) once i decided on the profile design tri specific seat.

So maybe try some different seats and play around with that a bit.

The good news is that it'll get better!

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First question, have you had a proper fitting done for your new tri bike to ensure your bike is set up properly? If your saddle height, or saddle fore-aft position, or saddle tilt, or stem length are not tuned in, it will mean trouble.

And second, on the trainer, I ride 4 minutes aero, 1 minute sitting up as if climbing a hill in a tougher gear at lower cadence. Just that 1 minute break out of every 5 minutes seems to provide enough relief to avoid the numbness or soreness that you can get on a trainer if you don't change positions.

And as mentioned, if all the above fail, try some other saddles or even other bike shorts to see if you can find relief.

Good luck, trainer sessions are tough in more ways than one.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Q. about aero position [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First question, have you had a proper fitting done for your new tri bike to ensure your bike is set up properly?

Oh, yes, quite an extensive one at that so I'm confident that is right. I'm going to pay attention more the next few times I ride before fiddling with anything. I do like your suggestion of not staying aero the whole time. I guess I wanted to hurry up and get my neck used to being down.

I joked that since I just bought the newest Kinetic trainer, that that meant all the snow would melt and it'll be 65 here in Michigan ;)

tnx!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moderation! Ride frequently for short periods of time at first, your bones, ligaments etc need to get used to your seated position. For goodness sake wear properly fitted bike shorts. Is your front wheel lifted to match the rear? It does take some time but should feel differently after a week or so. If discomfort remains try some different seats.
Rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are certainly not alone in your issue!! read the post at the top of the forum about women's saddles. the issue you mentioned in the #1 gripe for women with saddles/fit. there will be some adjustment to your bike, but there are things you can do (and should do!) if it is still bothering you. i was having similar issues and switched to a profile design tristryke and it helped immensley - it has lots of padding, and a cutout just where you need it. also, get a bike fit done if you haven't already. small adjustments can really help. make sure you are comfortable on your aerobars as well. if you fidgit on those, the some of the pressure that should be on your elbows, will be transfered to the pressure point on your seat.

also keep im mind, i can almost guarantee it will be better when you ride it outside. you get out of the saddle on climbs, vary your riding, and all in all just move around more than being in one spot on a trainer. my tri bike is hard for me to stay on for more than an hour and a half on a trainer comfort wise, but i can go 5 hours outside without a problem.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply