Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Do You Select Races? input needed
Quote | Reply
Ladies, please give me your input on what is important to you when selecting a race. I put on a couple of triathlons and am doing some consulting for a couple of other new events.
Some recent posts on the main forum about the huge number of events in certain states has gotten me thinking about what it takes to make a race stand out from all the rest.

Please rank the following list according to what is most important to you when selecting races and feel free to add anything I features I may have missed. Thanks in advance!
  • Entry fee
  • Race distance
  • Overall convenience (parking, race day packet pick up, short lines, enough porta potties and TP)
  • Activities for the family during the race
  • Special racks or gathering for ST women or other tri groups
  • Convenient location (how easy venue is to get to)
  • Lodging availability
  • Course layout
  • Venue (scenic, clean, unique)
  • Entertainment value - is it fun?
  • Goody bag
  • Recycling or other "green" efforts by race management
  • Prize Money
  • Race shirt
  • Awards
  • Overall event organization (on time start, plenty of volunteers, well marked, accurate courses, aid stations)
  • Sponsors
  • Schwag
  • Race size
  • Post race food/drink (variety, amount, presentation)
  • DJ/announcer
  • Informative web site
  • Accessible race director/ability to get questions answered
  • Volunteer support
  • Safety features (police support, lifeguards, medical)
  • Other____________ (please specify)

Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [Tri-Mom64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the following tris this year, with the reasons why.

Wildflower LC - hate venue; hate camping; but I want to finish that damned race (medical tent after T2 in 2006)

Kansas 70.3 - the RD invited me; plus, I can tie it in with a trip home to see my dad and he can watch me race

Vineman 70.3 - This is my 10th year in a row to do this race. I can't stop now!

That's probably it. I was going to go to IM Brasil, but work and stuff came up. I will be doing a lot of bike racing locally. I will be spectating at Cali 70.3 and Kona.

I'd rather do a big trip (Ironman) in a very cool place (Brasil, New Zealand), than a bunch of shorter local races. Nearly everything on your list makes no difference to me.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year I'm doing IM Lake Placid: (1)I like the IM distance; (2)LP is relatively convenient (I can drive there); (3)having done it once before, I want to improve my time; (4)26 of my teammates are also doing it so there will be lots of familiar faces on the course; (5)my husband's law school friend lives nearby so we get to visit; (6)LP is beautiful
Mooseman 1/2: (1) timing is good as a test race for IM; (2) relatively convenient location; (3) Keith Jordon puts on fantastic races
a local sprint in early May: just to get back into the race mind set after a layoff.

Of the things on your list, the most important ones to me are location, safety, race distance, and overall race mgmt. Additional factors, for me, are my prior experience (if any)with the race (did I beat the course or did the course beat me) and a new & interesting venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • 1) Venue (scenic, clean, unique): Gorgeous ride & run; preferably run is on trails; clean/beautiful lake or ocean swim. I often sign up for nontraditional race distances. Regimented distances (such as the Olympic distance) often limit the course options and therefore, the scenic value of the race. (Roads are chosen because they conform to a specific distance not because they are at all interesting.)

• 2) Course layout - see above. It *must* take full advantage of the scenery/the best roads at the venue!

• 3) Entertainment value - is it fun? This is important, but hard to qualify. I love the big races *and* the little hometown ones - as long as they have atmosphere! I love the 2 small race organizations around here that have organized picnics and raffles (separate from the finish line area) that start after everyone has finished the race (this obviously only works for sprint races). This builds community.

• 4) Overall event organization (on time start, plenty of volunteers, well marked, accurate courses, aid stations). Within this list, I'd rank "aid stations" at the top.

• 5) Entry fee

• 6) Other: Refund policy. Of course, I love races that are at least partially refundable or transferable. But I know that's hard for race directors, so I just like for the policy to be transparent, stated on the website, you know what the deal is, etc.

• 7) Convenient location (how easy venue is to get to)

• 8) Post race food/drink (variety, amount, presentation). Note here, as an over-40 woman I'm often in one of the last waves. I *hate* it when a race organization has run out of half the food, the massage table is gone, etc. etc. when I finish (even if I finish in the middle of my age group). I think this shows lack of respect for the waves who started later. There is one race organization that I avoid in my area because of this problem.

• 9) Overall convenience (parking, race day packet pick up, short lines, enough porta potties and TP). Race day pickup is a big draw for me.

• 10) Recycling or other "green" efforts by race management. YES! I will pay a bit more to do a race with this level of consciousness.

• 11) Camping availability

• 12) Accessible race director/ability to get questions answered. Yes, this is confidence-building.

• 13) Volunteer support. Hopefully there is some training to support the volunteers, they are well-fed, treated well, etc.

• 14) Safety features (police support, lifeguards, medical). This depends on the nature of the race. If it's a big race, in the ocean, etc. then I'd have a higher standard. For smaller races, short lake swims, etc. I just don't scrutinize this. I guess I'd be worried about a bike course on busy roads that had insufficient control at intersections, though!

• 15) Informative web site. Yes, but I've done races that have poor websites (or none) just because I know the race organization or have an idea of what to expect.

• 16) DJ/announcer: Loud or obnoxious testosterone loaded announcers, or music that is too heavy or loud, cuts into the experience and I don't tend to want to go back.

• 17) Lodging availability. Affordability is important.

• 18) Activities for the family during the race. I usually don't invite family/friends to races.

• 19) Special racks or gathering for ST women or other tri groups.

• 20) Awards. (Doesn't affect me all that often ;)

• 21) Race distance. I like to race a variety of distances. So, if it looks like a great race, I'll try to fit it in no matter what the distance. (Of course, it is easier to spontaneously "fit it in" if it's a sprint race.)

• 22) Goody bag

• 23) Schwag: I don't much care. Usually I just see stuff (hats, etc.) that I already own.

• 24) Race shirt: I usually won't even take a race shirt. Even the technical t-shirts aren't usually a draw; they are so hard to fit correctly.

• 25) Race size: Not important. I like the big hyped up events and the tiny grassroots ones.

• 26) Prize Money

• 27) Sponsors

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Entry fee
  • Race distance
  • Lodging availability
  • Course layout
  • Venue (scenic, clean, unique)
  • Overall event organization (on time start, plenty of volunteers, well marked, accurate courses, aid stations)
  • Race size
  • Post race food/drink (variety, amount, presentation)
  • Informative web site
  • Volunteer support
  • Safety features (police support, lifeguards, medical)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year I'm planning on doing the following races and why in order of most compelling reasons:
1. Eagleman 70.3:
a. The course: it's flat and fast. I want to PR at the HIM distance this year.
b. Location: it's sorta close to home: a 5 hour drive.
c. Race organization: excellent! Lots of volunteers, support, great aid stations.
d. Community support: the locals are out in force and their support is amazing.
2. Musselman Half-Ironman:
a. Race organization: Jeff Henderson and his crew put on a first rate event. An incredible well-supported race.
b. Location: 30 min drive from my house
c. Green efforts of Jeff Henderson: race shirts were made of bamboo last year and water bottles were recycled.
d. Sponsors: most of the them were local and it was great to support hometown businesses.
3. Local Oly's and sprints:
a. Location: they're close and I know the course
b. Entry fee: they're cheaper than those Mdot/WTC races!

The main factor is location/closeness to home in that I spend less $$$ on travel/accomodations and I can practice on the course. What would compel me to spend the $$$ and travel to a race would be a chance to grab a spot in Clearwater or Half Max or a great location like that Laguna Phuket triathlon in Thailand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Convenience, timing, same-day packet pickup. I want my hobby to disrupt my family as little as possible.

I like a standardized race distance. For example, I was going to do a nearby "Half Iron - type" race until I found out the bike ride was only 47 miles. For a long race , I'd prefer to compare performances and have that as a learning tool.

Did you ever think of making up one of those survey monkey type of things? It would be awfully tiresome reading for everyone if I go through that whole list and rate each factor in importance...but survey monkey would probably figure that out for you. Anyway...FWIW I listed my top 3.

Least important 3 would probably be Goody Bag, schwag, and prize $$.
Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point in my "career" :) it's all about location -- driveable distance. I'm sorta chickent about shipping a bike at this point.

Historiaclly Small races. I have to admit I have an aversion to the HUGE races. Although I've never done a triathlon that's huge, I did a 1/2 mary and I hated being in a pack all the time.

Also, as I look to the future for a HIM, it's gonna be early. I'm much more dedicated in the winter months -- lose more weight, stick to training / nutrition plans. Something weird happens when July hits, it's like I have to hit every happy hour and just PLAY!

IronCLM--- please let us know how Kansas is! I just saw that and as I'm toying with jumping up to my first HIM next year, that appealed to me as I have pals in the area.

JaniceB, Mooseman it also on my radar, so let us know how that is!
Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For local races - as in, driving distance from my home on race morning, then I like to have a fun venue, decent food afterwards, lots of local community support, and not be a HUGE race, maybe ave price or a little less expensive.
I don't mind non-standardized race distances, we have a few of those in this neck of the woods, but at least have the distances be ACCURATE. There's one local race near me that's supposedly a 13 mi. bike and 4 mi. run, but everyone who does the race knows it's 13.5 mi bike and 4.5 mi run.

Tourist races - I don't like to do the same race twice. I like to visit and see new places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started doing races it was distance and cost since I was a starving student. Now I just do races that are well organized: Galena, Tri-shark and Evergreen : ). Some of the things I take into account when I say well organized:

Packet pickup on race day that's not a hassle
Groomed/well marked course
Not too crowded for safety
Race starts on time
Good volunteers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually have an A race for the season so that I have something big to aim for - two years ago it was my first half iron, last year IMC and this year the qualifying race for 2009 ITU Worlds in Australia.

After that:

1) Location - either close to home or somewhere good for a visit (my sister lives in Penticton so IMC, the Oliver Half, the Peach Classic, etc. allow me to catch up with her and play with my nephews as well as race)
2) Timing - fit my races to peak for my A race. I also try to do one a month throughout the season.
3) Organization - I did the Cultus Lake Tri last year partly because of location (my parents live close to Cultus) and timing but mostly because I know Outback Events put on great races.
4) Grudge match - I'm doing the Peach Classic in Penticton again this year so I can show the 3km hill on the run leg who's boss.
5) Because everyone else is jumping off the bridge - if large numbers of my clubmates sign up for a race I'm more likely to as well. Sad to know I still cave to peer pressure!
Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am new to the sport and this is my first year choosing races, so I will tell you what makes me choose a race:

1. Reputation: If others who are more experienced say it is a well-organized, unique, challenging, and scenic race, I am likely to put it on my list.

2. Location: If I am going to spend the money to travel and race, I want to go somewhere cool. Like a vacation destination! I want the race to be on cool roads or scenic running trails, something that will make the race memorable. I have done plenty of competitions in my previous sport in crappy towns and ugly places and am so done with that.

3. Maybe some people like schwag, but I would rather have my money be put in to a smoothly run race, securing a challenging, fun course, and having a safe and well groomed venue.

4. Prize money or gift certificates are always good prizes compared to medals or plaques.

5. Proximity of places to stay/race hotel to venue: These races seem to start so dang early (I am not a morning person!) so I want to be able to stay close by so I do not have to get up even earlier.

6: Uniqueness: I have kind of said this above, but I want to go to races that are a little funky, a little off the beaten path. I want a crazy hill in the course or a cool route or something like that. I don't want to feel like I am at the same race every week!

7. Duathlon option: I am just getting in to multi-sport and am just starting to swim. So sometimes a non-swim option is a great thing!

Good luck planning some races. Tell us more as you come up with ideas and places!
Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, one more thing: an informative website is key! I want to know exactly what I am getting in to:-).
Quote Reply
Re: How Do You Select Races? input needed [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. I'll be using it to ehance some already existing events and to help create some new ones in 09. We might not exactly have the most scenic venues in the country here in Illinois (unless you really really like cornfields) so I need to try to make up for it in other ways!
If any of you are coming to the races listed below, be sure to say hello. Rumor has it that one of you Chicago-land posters is having a birthday on Tri-Shark -Rockman weekend...

Colleen Klein
Race Director
Tri-Shark Triathlon
Evergreen Lake Triathlon
www.tri-shark.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Location Location Location... and race day packet pickup. Within a 2, 3-for-a-great-race hour drive of wherever I am so I can drive morning-of. I race frequently - and I race anything from the $20 sprint with 50 participants and minimal support (I did one where you had to stop at traffic lights and they had volunteers time your stop. I'm doing another where the swim is Friday evening and the bike-run is Saturday morning where you start when the clock reaches your swim time) to the TDS Pewaukee tri (1000 athletes) and Vancouver (throws things off this year, but with last year's Sylvania qualifier, how could I resist?).

However, if I am limiting my races for whatever reason, my favorite races are the sprints and oly's that are highly organized and naturally small (200-400). I really enjoyed Evergreen Lake last year, but if it fills up this year I'll probably miss out on registration. Aside from 2 years at Chicago and this year at Galena, I generally avoid races that fill up because I often register within a week or two of the race. Smooth roads on the bike course actually are a big thing for me - I don't like the feel of my $$ tubulars on rough roads. My favorite races have been: Evergreen Lake, Big Foot (before it got big and ended race day packet pickup - did it for 3 years before that though), Lake Mills, Johan's TriFest, Iron Abe, Warsaw Optimist, Valpo, in the midwest.

Otherwise-
  • **Entry fee
  • *Race distance
  • ***Overall convenience (parking, race day packet pick up, short lines, enough porta potties and TP)
  • Activities for the family during the race
  • Special racks or gathering for ST women or other tri groups
  • Lodging availability
  • *Course layout
  • *Venue (scenic, clean, unique)
  • Entertainment value - is it fun?
  • *Goody bag
  • Recycling or other "green" efforts by race management
  • **Prize Money
  • Race shirt
  • **Awards
  • ***Overall event organization (on time start, plenty of volunteers, well marked, accurate courses, aid stations)
  • Sponsors
  • *Schwag
  • Race size
  • *Post race food/drink (variety, amount, presentation)
  • DJ/announcer
  • Informative web site
  • *Volunteer support
  • *Safety features (police support, lifeguards, medical)
  • **Other____________ late registration available

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically do 5-6 races a year. My "A1" race is a late-summer triathlon (this year, I'm planning to move from sprint-distance to Olympic-distance), my "A2" race is a spring running race (hoping to move from 10K to 1/2 marathon), and my other races are 5Ks.

The number one criteria for my A1 (triathlon) race is that it must be in a location within a 30-minute drive of my parents' house or cottage. I have a history of getting severe migraines after triathlon racing, and I don't want to inconvenience my family too much when they have to bring my husband to the race site to pick up my car. (When I get a migraine, I have spots in my vision that look like I've been staring into the sun for too long, so it's not safe for me to drive.) Not trying to be redundant, but the number one criteria for any other race is that it needs to be within a 45-minute drive of my house, so I don't need to spend the previous night in a hotel.

My number two criteria is the price of the entry fee. Because of my budget, my A1 race can't cost more than $90, my A2 race can't cost more than $50, and I prefer 5Ks with entry fees under $25. This year, I decided to do a different tri for my A1 race because the entry fee was increased by $10 and they discontinued the $10 discount for members of my tri club ($20 net increase for me). For the same amount as that race's sprint distance, I could do an olympic distance at a race of which many members of my tri club had spoken highly.

Scheduling is another major concern. Except for A1 and A2, the race must be on Saturday because I want to minimize the number of times I skip morning church to race and show up to evening Bible study exhausted.

Other things I consider a "plus": A spectator-friendly course that's well-marked and a goody bag with useful stuff in it.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply