Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what do you do for fun?
Quote | Reply
So i had an alarming conversation the other day. someone asked me what i do for fun, outside of triathlon/athletics - i paused. Normally i'd say reading, but i don't read much on my own since i have so much reading for college. i volunteer occasionally at the humane society because i love animals. i enjoy seeing friends and skiing when i can (rare), but i was quite shocked at how one sided my interests have become. i really don't want to become totally one sided, as much as love triathlon. so, what do you all do for fun, or to relax? i'm graduating in the spring, and i figure even with a job, i'll have some off time in the evening when i would normally be doing homework, and i'm interested in trying some new stuff!

feel free to throw anything out there, but ideas that don't require lots of $$$ are especially encouraged :)

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. For the past 10 years I've really only done triathlon. 98% of my travel and vacations were planned around races. A few months ago I started working part-time at a winery tasting room and I really enjoy that. I'm also in a book club and reallu enjoy cooking. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'll start doing some gardening, but that can sometimes be more of a chore than fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband (also a triathlete) and I jointly decided that one of our 2008 goals was to work on getting more well-rounded in terms of life outside of work and triathlon. Aside from those two we love to do anything with our dogs such as hiking, ski-joring/cross country skiing, off-leash park, etc. We both love wine and good food so we eat out at good restaurants whenever possible, are working on our Washington wine collection, and are attending a charitable event that will have some washington vitners next Monday.

For us it's a matter of not letting triathlon run our lives as it has in the past. Perhaps we'll miss a run one night but we'll go to a silent auction for homeless pets instead. Or take a day trip to the mountains to go hiking. Or, my personal upcoming favorite, I happened to hear that a band we both like is coming to town and got us tickets. Even though neither of us are really "concert-going" type of people (at least since we graduated college mid-90's) we figured it would be fun and different from our normal routine. Yes, once again that means we'll be missing that evening's workout but I'm sure regardless of what happens it'll be a lot of fun. Or we go to the aquariam or the zoo. Totally dorky but we love it (and neither are too expensive).

Oh - and "date night" is my favorite thing in the world. As a true triathlon dork our date night is a ride together but it's not a training ride so much as get on the bike for 90+min and bike to my absolute favorite place where we live. It's a great bike ride and something we try to do on a weekly basis once the weather warms up and it gets light enough at night. I can't wait for that to start up again.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once I get my second bathroom added, you have to come and visit me and bring bikes! I'm about 3 hours east of Seattle, right in the middle of a bunch of wineries. I work in the tasting room at Alexandria Nicole Cellars, we also have a tasting room in Woodenville. Check it out, the wines are fab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read (books and magazines)
Write
Travel (OK, most is tri/bike related, but not all)
Portuguese class
Wine and Belgian beer
Dinner out
Shopping (if I had more $$ to spend on clothes and stuff)

Relax: watch reality TV. HA

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps we can swing through on our way back from Walla Walla in May...and we'll have the bikes though we may be more inclined to check out the wineries. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading
Writing
Cross stitch & needlepoint- easy to get 100+ hours of stitching out of $50 worth of supplies and stitch charts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's Hockey is my passion. I never played until I was 30 and ten years later I can't get enough. My husband still laughs at how we apologize if we bump into someone and help them up if they fall down.

It was actually fellow hockey players who got me interested in triathlons. I am working on convincing more players on my team to participate in our local tri this summer.

I realize this is a "athletic" activity, but I figure the beer we consume after we play makes it more of a recreation than a sport, kind of like slowpitch in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i try to do alot to keep things interesting.

write
spin yarn, and design/knit for Moa (which is my heart and soul)
i'm a mom to 2 pugs, and also have 3 adorable kittycats
garden
read
study fashion
dabble in teas/herbs/holisitic medicine (i'm not a witch, but could play one on tv.)

soon i want to learn to hand dye fibers to work this in conjunction with Moa. Fun!

since last August i have been doing lots of other things except for tri. over the last week or so i realized i'm behind the stick and need to get on it if there is any hope for a 2008 season. so now i'm training for a 1/2 marathon, and woa, it's hard work after being out of the game for a bit!

but i think it's easy to have tri become a major focal point in free time. it's very demanding, but i've found that it's just too singular for me--i'm like ADD and have to have a bunch of other stuff going on in order to feel "complete" and happy.
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 6, 08 19:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new hobby - teaching myself blues harp. I'm having a lot of fun with it and improving, but I'm a long ways away from sounding like Sonny Boy Williamson. I trying to devote an hour a day to it taking lessons off the internet.

Nice thing about the harmonica is that it's quite a cheap instrument. I picked up a Hohner Special 20 Marine Band for only about twenty dollars at the local music shop. That's the same type of harmonica that many of the great blues pros play so I can't blame my missing the notes on my equipment.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 7, 08 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cook (I especially love to bake and make ice cream... bad news) and can (jam, pickles & chutneys)
Listen to live music (went to hear a favorite Scottish trad band last night)
Enjoy excellent wine (although I'm off it [!!!!!] until after IMAZ!)
Take lots of photos
Collect vintage crate labels (citrus and pears, mostly)
Watch Food TV
Geek out (Mac stuff, web dev stuff, home network stuff)
Make quilts

Hm. This kinda makes me seem like a girly girl, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of tris...hike/backpack camp with my dogs, agility training with one of my dogs (the other claims he can't jump), kayaking, reading historical books (biographies of the presidents mostly), scuba, surfing, knitting, cooking, trying to work on my Karman Ghia (normally means getting it taken apart and then calling a couple friends to help who show up with beer, then a couple hours later we call a tow truck), and playing black jack when in Vegas.

After IMAZ I'm looking forward to doing those things a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We also did agility with one of our dogs and want to go back for more classes. We also want to go try fly ball with both of them and lure coursing for our English Pointer.

I like to play with my dogs, go hiking and camping, redecorate my house, see movies, watch tv (more than I should).

My husband loves the show Ace of Cakes. I really like cake, so we are think about taking a cake decorating class.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Ace of Cakes is my FAVORITE show. I'm a pastry chef so my husband knows that when it's on (or any "pastry"-type Food Network Challenge) I get the remote. Definitely take a cake decorating class, it's a ton of fun!

Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, do you have any quilt pics to share?
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [Sharon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yAY! Another women's hockey player! where do you play? I also started at age 30, thinking, just what I need, another sport! But I love it! and the apologizing for running into each other, LOL! i play coed too and never say sorry to the guys...they sure don't like it when a 110 pound girl can outplay them.
I was a triathlete first though, but the team sport is just so fun, now I'd like to get some of my teammates out there doing tris.

other passions/hobbies:
snowboarding
telemark skiing
snowshoeing
backpacking
rock climbing
reading

now I need to work on non-sports related activities to feel truly well rounded.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a few. I'm a total amateur, as you'll see.

http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157594564622156/
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG, that sock monkey one is AWESOME. Nice work!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like we need to have a gathering of NW women STers. I'm about 20 miles east of Seattle.

I also struggle with hobbies. My husband just got a new Harley and I keep saying I'm going to learn to ride a motorcycle but I keep thinking about my training, etc. All of my vacations are around racing or camps. It really is pathetic.

I really do need to find something else in my life other than training and watching TV :-(

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Mar 7, 08 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading
Sewing
shopping
eating out
trips to Dairy Queen (LOL)
master's swimming parties
Going out with our tri group to eat after a workout
tri club parties
fixing up the house
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
golf
racquetball
sailing
food (cooking and dining out)
camping
chillin w/my dog
volunteering

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read the title of your post my first thought was "train"

I am having to think hard to come up with other stuff I do for fun. Read, I guess. I like Outside magazine... Jodi Picoult and Chris Bojalian books...

I like rock climbing but rarely do it because I do not want my arms to be sore for swimming. LOL.

Walking downtown on a summer evening and shopping

I write... but usually more to dispell anxiety than for fun

Card/board games on occassion

Spending time with my boyfriend, but mostly that time is spent swimming so we're back to square 1.

Going to the beach

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my boyfriend and I both trianing for our first HIMs, I agree the workouts are our primary "hobby" right now. We do try to incorporate other stuff... here are a few of ours:
  • Between the two of us, we have three dogs. Any opportunity to wear them out we take. Long walks, romping in the backyard, hopefully running with the older one soon (oops that's training!).
  • I'm in a Bunko group
  • We started a tradition of getting together with friends every Thursday night for dinner and drinks.
  • Home improvements are always an opportunity to stay busy. My kitchen tile is the latest (unfinished) project, along with my main bathroom.
  • He is in a recreational softball league every summer
  • We are both getting our MBAs... not that homework is a hobby, but keeps us busy
  • Last summer we planned trips to see 2 or 3 concerts. Far enough away to get a hotel and stay overnight, but not too far away that we had to take off work. Weekend trips are so much fun.

Quote Reply
Re: what do you do for fun? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I made it for the baby of a friend (and IM finisher) who LOVES sock monkeys. We decorated onesies at the shower and I made one with an Ironbaby (B with a dot) logo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Movies, dinner with friends, movies, drinking wine, movies, cooking, movies, reading, and more movies. I'm a regular at Landmark Theaters

http://nikeep.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next