Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does this have to get ugly? It is a great story / experience. Lets just leave it at that.

Peace,
RF
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why does this have to get ugly? It is a great story / experience. Lets just leave it at that.

Peace,
RF
That would be too easy...maybe an admin can lock the tread?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just for you, here's a list of CSC's sponsors and what they "should" have contributed:

CSC: I'm sure they could find a computer or something
Cervelo: a P4C obviously
ALM: they're a financial institution so how about some cash
Skoda: a car, and seeing as they're part of VAG how about not just handing over a crappy Skoda but a Bentley or Lambo
instead
Sidi: a pair of bike shoes in every size
Craft: a full team kit for each day of the year
SIS: a year's supply of supplements
Bell: helmets
Zipp: wheels, and make sure they have ceramic bearings you cheapskates
Oakley: glasses
Speedplay: ti pedals
SRM: throw a couple in for luck

I could go on but I'm getting bored. Let me know if this still falls short of your expectations. And be sure to use that "would've liked to see a better ending" line next time you get a massage...

Dude, what the hell's your problem. Sir Preston came up with a cool idea and you smashed him in the face
with this BS! You clearly are a bitter individual and don't like seeing good things happen to good people.
Too much time on your hands. Shake yourself!
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [joux-pane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice first post.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Last edited by: Lazy Ben: Mar 5, 08 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You gotta start somewhere Lazy Chump.
Nice Retard blast. My little sister doesn't think
any less of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Joux and it's not my first post. Back off. Sir Preston was just saying that he thought Hank deserved a little more for the effort. I have no opinion on the matter, but I think your reaction is a bit much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you forgot, "have CSC give him a contract to join their squad to become one of the peloton riders next year".
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheelďż˝ [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hank,

Thanks for sharing this fantastic story.

Awesome, just awesome.

Doug
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree with Joux and it's not my first post. Back off. Sir Preston was just saying that he thought Hank deserved a little more for the effort. I have no opinion on the matter, but I think your reaction is a bit much.

Thank you for the help, I was drowning here in the tri forum quite desperately there for a second. :-)

----------------------------------
Do three things. Do them well.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I miss you "Sports Night"
So do I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just for you, here's a list of CSC's sponsors and what they "should" have contributed:

CSC: I'm sure they could find a computer or something
Cervelo: a P4C obviously
ALM: they're a financial institution so how about some cash
Skoda: a car, and seeing as they're part of VAG how about not just handing over a crappy Skoda but a Bentley or Lambo
instead
Sidi: a pair of bike shoes in every size
Craft: a full team kit for each day of the year
SIS: a year's supply of supplements
Bell: helmets
Zipp: wheels, and make sure they have ceramic bearings you cheapskates
Oakley: glasses
Speedplay: ti pedals
SRM: throw a couple in for luck

I could go on but I'm getting bored. Let me know if this still falls short of your expectations. And be sure to use that "would've liked to see a better ending" line next time you get a massage...

The only one who is falling short in my opinion BESIDES an ungrateful Bobby J. is yourself. What would you have done in your appreciation if you had the means to hook someone up that saved your race? Your entire teams race?

Before you go out of your way to try and insult me, make sure you really know me, boy.

My apologies to Hank and all but Azz Ben for this interuption into yeah, what otherwise would've been a continuously nice and decent thread. Ben, if in Houston, look me up and bring your best bike, I'll show you how to use it.

----------------------------------
Do three things. Do them well.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Sir Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
make sure you really know me, boy.

You just showed up yesterday.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Sir Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, where to start...

an ungrateful Bobby J.

I still don't get this argument, they sent some swag that the OP was quite happy with. Sorry it falls short of the 100 vestal virgins you were hoping for but you obviously have ridiculous and unrealistic expectations. This may be because you don't know a thing about pro cycling.

that saved your race. Your entire teams race?

Ah yes, that 26th overall is, I'm sure, the highlight of Mr Jullich's career and CSC's season

Before you go out of your way to try and insult me, make sure you really know me, boy.

I don't wish to know you, you're a little obtuse for my taste

if in Houston, look me up and bring your best bike, I'll show you how to use it.

I'll pass thanks. Let me know if you move anywhere civilized.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why humor him?

Houston? Yeah, all kinds of cycling rock stars are out of Houston...race ya across the prairie! Could do some hill work on a bridge...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saint Lance is from Texas therefore all Texans are awesome cyclists, this one's so good he's challenging me to bring my "best bike" and he'll ride his mtb...I don't know if he's been fisted on it though...

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK - pretty good swag from CSC...but I think an "epic" story like this one deserves a little more! This is becoming ST legend for god sake. With 42000+ views...someone out there has got to hook this guy up with a new set of 404's! Weather it be straight from Zipp or a "pro discount"...something better needs to come of this. Let's put an "story book" ending to this.

I will be the first to Paypal $20 to anyone who "legitimately" puts together a "let's get Hank Rearden a set of Zipps" fund! I can't get anything less than MSRP...Bike shops, dealers, manufacturers...let's get this done.

Without a doubt, this where the thread started to derail. First with this post, then with Katy's reply.

What's with all the attitude slinging around here? It seems like everyone is on an extremely short fuse and looking for a fight. Hank had a great story; this thread didn't start out as, nor should it evolve into, a discussion on what schwag is appropriate thanks from a pro rider for outside assistance. If you want to start down that like of off-topic ranting, start your own thread.

/not my first post.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why humor him?

Houston? Yeah, all kinds of cycling rock stars are out of Houston...race ya across the prairie! Could do some hill work on a bridge...

hey !

quit making fun of our bridge ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a long delay, I finally decided what to do with the busted up Zipp 404. I received a few suggestions from keeping the wheel intact to sending it in to Zipp for a replacement. In the end I went with the "middle" ground. I contacted Zipp directly and linked in this thread to check out my options. They told me that they would allow the Zipp crash replacement policy on the wheel and more importantly would allow me to just send in the Hub. I chose to upgrade to the 1080 Clincher (don't derail the thread) for what I felt was a low price. Thank you Zipp.

Gratuitous wheel in a box:

My son saying: "Daddy, I love your new fast wheel"

All three:

I'm not sure if my scale is accurate:

On bike:

I got in two rides on the wheel this weekend... My review is that it is the Stealth Bomber of rear wheels. Rigged for Silent Running captain. Why give someone the opportunity to accelerate when you are going to pass them?

Ultimately I want to suspend a picture in a plain glass frame in the middle of the busted up rim and I'm hoping Julich will stay around in the peloton for one more year so I can get his signature at the ToC next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great end to the story! and kudos to Zipp for being accomodating in letting you keep the old rim and choose your new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, indeed! It was a great story and to have it come to this...a perfect ending.
Enjoy the new Zipp!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the follow up!

That is one of the first 1080 clinchers that I have seen. Very nice looking indeed.

I am curious about the weight though as that is more than my Renn clincher disc 1225g on my scale)!

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I was just wondering last week what happened to this story.

If you didn't mind my asking but how much? If I understand correctly, you would of gotten a 404 for free but paid for the upgrade to a 1080?

Basically you traded in your trainer wheel + some cash for a brand new 1080... That's awesome.

That's why I wear my Road I.D. while driving my Ford with Sync technology
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is AWESOME that you kept the wheel and Zipp did the crash replacement with the hub. With them knowing the details and still following up on that is a great thing for their brand in this market.

I so wanted Julich to tell that story when he was on the Cyclingnews commentary during the TdF.

Again, thanks for the follow up. Hopefully when ToC comes around, if Julich is still there I think the guys and Zipp might be able to help arrange a meeting/photo op with you and Julich. This kind of good stuff does not come along very often but lives for a long, long time.

Thanks for the update and what fun story to tell your kids and grand kids.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [joker70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the weight as well... I will wait for someone with a qualified scale to test it. I was suprised by what it read, so I re-zeroed it and tried it again to the same effect.

Quote:

If you didn't mind my asking but how much? If I understand correctly, you would of gotten a 404 for free but paid for the upgrade to a 1080?

Basically you traded in your trainer wheel + some cash for a brand new 1080...

I was given the standard option to use the Zipp Crash replacement policy, which is good for anyone who owns a Zipp wheel that is less than 5 years old. The policy has different prices for different wheels. The 808 and 1080 were ~$360 + $65 (wheel build) + spokes. I chose the 1080 which came to $450 total ( a 404 would have been less). I think that anyone can "trade up" their busted up wheels for a deeper wheel. Which got me thinking....

Quote:

Basically you traded in your trainer wheel + some cash for a brand new 1080...
I got my trainer wheel back, so when all is said and done I got a new 1080 (retail $1350) with Julich's hub and cassette for $450. The icing is that I get to keep the busted 404 rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I made it to stage 2 today... Total deluge on Tunitas Creek. Skipped down to Santa Cruz for the finish. We watched Levi grab gold and went over to the team bus area.

Mission: Julich Signing.

We spotted him at the finish of Stage one, but it was raining too hard to carry the photos or wheel.

Watched all the Saxo riders ditch their bikes and run into the team bus.

Finally found Julich and my brother managed to get a few photos...
"Excuse me, can I borrow a second of your time..."
"well..."
"I have your wheel from last year."
"Oh.... Your that guy!, the red jersey"

Had a nice conversation... Julich appears to be very happy right now to not be in the Peloton with all the rain.

Final tally: One rim with Julich and Riis's signature and two photos of my wheel signed.

Mission Accomplished.

Story Fini.
Quote Reply

Prev Next