Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel? [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simply one of the best "good" stories cycling has seen in a long time...A good rider and a good team doing right by a good person...All in all, pretty sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 Super adorable kid!
#2 Thanks for following up on the story love it!
#3 Frame everything you don't use in a large light box via Michael's (if they have one of those stores by you) they have 40% off coupons in the paper all the time.

Congrats! Good karma all around.

-Trisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The story is featured on the fred cast podcast: Brush_with_greatness
Toward the end at 59 minutes.

I'll let you know when Oprah calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool story.

However, why was the thread so long? Don't have time to read through it all.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hank,

Awesome for you! As for the Zipp Wheel, call them and give them the honest story. The may swap it out for you just for the warm & fuzzies this story has already generated.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cool story.

However, why was the thread so long? Don't have time to read through it all.

if you hit "view all" and then just look at all the pictures, you'll get the gist of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it!

Again. Great story and some awesome pics of Julich. Amazing bike handling skills. For the most part pro road riders are riding many courses blind, in that they really only see them on race day. It's rare that they reconn a whole course - perhaps just the critical spots where they believe moves will be made then of course in many of the classics it's more or less the same course from year to year, so they may be familier with it. However, I am sure that the course look very different from the reccon sessions, with no one on the side lines to fans lining the road. It amazes me that there are not more crashes. Testement to the amazing bike handling skills of these riders.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic story!!

--
ironguides.net : Home of The Method
Join the New Generation of Champions!

--- Your best is our business. ---
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel? [joesmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the very least, you just got a nice new-ish cassette!
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, new here, first post on this forum actually but have been following this story from another forum for some days ( thanks schroeder and you still suck!) now and just wanted to say what you all already know, cool story indeed! cute kid as well hank! I wished you would've gotten a new bike or at least a new wheelset but good of you to help out!

----------------------------------
Do three things. Do them well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think that I will be able to play it off as a warranty item... This story has gone pretty wide. Do Zipps have serial numbers?[/quote] Yes - well sort of as there is a white label with a serial number on it on the surface of the rim under the tubular tire that is glued to the wheel. Cannot say for sure whether or not Zipp notes the serial number for the rim when a wheel is returned for crash replacement but my suggestion would be to continue to be the good samaritan and return the wheel to CSC or send a PM to Josh at Zipp (forum member) and see what he says.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK - pretty good swag from CSC...but I think an "epic" story like this one deserves a little more! This is becoming ST legend for god sake. With 42000+ views...someone out there has got to hook this guy up with a new set of 404's! Weather it be straight from Zipp or a "pro discount"...something better needs to come of this. Let's put an "story book" ending to this.

I will be the first to Paypal $20 to anyone who "legitimately" puts together a "let's get Hank Rearden a set of Zipps" fund! I can't get anything less than MSRP...Bike shops, dealers, manufacturers...let's get this done.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really?? I find the "how much can he milk this for" aspect of this thread to be a detractor. I'd be happy with just the story to tell. He's gotten a lot more than that.

I also think he should keep the wheel as is, not try to fix it to ride on. Maybe take it to a race in the future and see if he can get it autographed. You can buy any old wheel to ride on, but there's just one that belongs to this story.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, I'm extremely flattered by the offer... but lets hold off on the paypal fund. I'm having flashbacks to the Mr Tibbs Cervelo Fund meltdown.

Again-- Wow. Thanks for the offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we can put you down for $0 then?

Why are you reading beyond the original post if it is such a detractor?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really is a great story and I'm glad Julich hooked you up. My advice would be to hold on to the wheel and use it next year during the Tour of California to "revisit" the incident and get on the Adobe Tour Tracker broadcast to tell the story. The wheel itself will also serve as sort of a "VIP" pass into the team areas and then maybe give it back to Julich? That would be a nice ending I think.

Or you could make the wheel into a necklace.....that's what the real Hank Rearden would do ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, $0. Excuse me for having an opinion contrary to yours.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Paypal thing is only my personal suggestion for someone with Zipp connections and similar thoughts about thinking that this story needs a "better" ending.

If the "ST" gods don't agree - oh well. My $20 can go to buying other useless crap I don't need!

As for you "pimping" your story...please. It is very evident that you are taken aback by the whole event and want to share with likeminded people.

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Or you could make the wheel into a necklace.....that's what the real Hank Rearden would do ;^)

haha-- yeah I'm working on my own blend on carbon fiber... RC (Rearden Carbon) that is 30% lighter and has a yield strength 40% better than the competition.

I'm really not sure right now what I will do with the wheel... I was thinking it would be a good compromise to save the rim as a souvenir and use the hub/spokes to ride with. Generally, I don't like the Ferrari sitting in the garage museum piece, but I'm still open to options.

Quote:
"how much can he milk this for"

I'm not trying to milk this for anything. As stated in all of my posts I'm very happy that I have a lifetime story to tell and CSC's response with the box was great. I love the signed CSC baseball hat. My posts about a set of Zipps were joking, I really was not expecting them.

Quote:

It is very evident that you are taken aback by the whole event and want to share with likeminded people.
Thanks - that is exactly my motivation. I'm pretty shocked to the number of views- I was expecting a few hundred. I went up to Tahoe for the weekend without net access and came back to a very big surprise. The fact that people like the story non-withstanding my poor storytelling (Engineer) is very surprising. And I like the fact that the story is posted/linked on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just let your LBS know of the story and have them contact their Zipp Rep and see if they would like the wheel back and you would be willing to send it back for a pro deal or industry price for a wheel set. Most of our Reps (other brands) have commented on it and have said that if you contact Zipp through a Rep then they will more than likely hook you up with a good deal nothing free but maybe better than nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year at the ToC I got an used water bottle straight from Michael Rasmussen bike and I had him sign it (I had to dump the water after a few days though), I also got a sweaty (and smelly) T Mobile cycling hat from Michael Rogers and he signed it too, so if I kept little souvenirs "untouched", you bet I'd keep the wheel as is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>I'm not trying to milk this for anything. <,

Definitely not. It's the few others who are.
I like the idea of keeping the wheel and going to the start next year to get it signed.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, $0. Excuse me for having an opinion contrary to yours.

fireworks, priceless. lol!!

----------------------------------
Do three things. Do them well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say you were trying to milk it. But there have been many responses to that end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK - pretty good swag from CSC...but I think an "epic" story like this one deserves a little more! This is becoming ST legend for god sake. With 42000+ views...someone out there has got to hook this guy up with a new set of 404's! Weather it be straight from Zipp or a "pro discount"...something better needs to come of this. Let's put an "story book" ending to this.

I think the story is worth a lot more than material things, also what happened to helping others without expecting anything in return just for the sake of being helpful? I also think that the classy thing to do would be for him to pack up the wheel and ship it back to csc/zipp and let this thread die, but maybe that's just me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next