Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bib Shorts for women
Quote | Reply
which one's do you guys (girls, gals, whatever...) like best and what is important. I would assume that the style of suspenders is important, but beyond that I am clueless.

They would be for my girlfriend. She's ~5'3", 115# and, I dunno,... a B-cup? Anyway she's got a very athletic build. Hope that's enough info to be helpful without being TMI.

Thanks in advance - BPQ
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does she want bib shorts? The reason I ask is they are not very flattering on me. I'm 5'6" and 114 and I'm not telling you my cup size ha! I thought they would be very cool, but they looked awful. HTH
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

She looks good in anything! :-)

She is more of a runner and is just getting serious about cycling. I only wear bib shorts 'cause they are MUCH more comfortable, so she was curious to get a pair. I thought I'd get her a pair as a little present, but I am not sure what style / brand is best.

Sorry, was cup size too much information???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my never-ending quest! I'm ALWAYS looking for a better pair of bibs! If I could find the perfect pair, I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!

I used to wear Voler bibs, but they don't fit me as well as they used to. The pad feels like a diaper now, and they're really long. But they seem to last forever. The PI Microsensor bibs are comfortable, but they're a little long, too (8" inseam, I think). I love Assos shorts, and I wish the Assos bibs were actually bibs, rather than what seems to be a sleeveless skinsuit.

The suspenders never bothered me one way or the other. It's not like they're super-heavy or anything! I do, however, always wear a base layer (usually a Voler mesh sleeveless undershirt, though I'm going to try the Craft ones this year). I don't know if it makes a difference, other than not feeling like I'm flashing everyone when I unzip my jersey!

I realize this doesn't help much. Bibs for women are just like shorts for women ... and men. The inseam has to be the right length, and the chamois has to feel good. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of options for women-specific bibs. I think teamestrogen.com usually has the biggest selection, but that's not saying much. If anyone has a better source for bibs, I'd love to know.

edit for subject/verb agreement!
Last edited by: csb: Mar 3, 08 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a sweet guy! She's lucky. It's so hard to buy clothes for women. I wish I could help more. And I don't think anything is TMI for ST!
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well , i'd suggest buy the shorts, keep the receipt, and print out the thread and tuck it in the package. Along with your sworn word that you won't mind if she exchanges them.

Your second comment, about her looking good in anything, beats out a hundred pairs of shorts when it comes to the 'gift' category. She may even forgive you for boradcasting her weight and cup size throughout all of cyberspace ;-)

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually cup size is relevant b/c if she was too huge she would wind up looking like St Pauli Girl in those things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried the women's bib shorts by Louis Garneau last night. The shorts are longer inseam, nice fabric with many panels, no leg gripper, pad that is not too bulky. Bibs have clips in front and velcro in back so you can pee without stripping. I must say I liked them fairly well. They seem to run small though. I always wear med. but I could barely get these on. I might go large for me (5'4, 140lb). Retails for about $110.

I also have the men's Desoto 400 mile bibs. I LOVE these shorts but the bib is useless (too long and shorts are so snug they don't move anyway) and it just gets in the way (peeing). I wear them for indoor wrkts only. I have the shorts (non-bib) and could ride FOREVER in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [racoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't stand cycling shorts! I guess it's 'cause men don't have hips, but I can't seem to keep cycling shorts to stay snug.

I know some women's bibs have the suspenders run up the middle (Assos) while others run wide (compared to Men's)... which, in your opinion, is more comfortable? I can't imagine how having a strap run up the middle of my chest would be comfortable, but what do I know? :-)

Thanks again in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not racoon, but ...

I think the only the Assos knickers and tights have the suspender strap running up the middle. The F1 shorts have a lot more frontal coverage (and I haven't seen any pics of the back -- is it a full back or a t-back? inquiring minds want to know! I may have to get a pair just to see exactly what they are!).

I've always been perfectly comfortable with normal suspender-style bibs with a t-back, which I think most bibs (at least for women) have now.

Stripping can be a problem, though. I always wear full-zip jerseys when I ride long, just because it's easier. Which actually brings me to another piece of clothing that's harder to find for women ... Anyone know a good source for full-zip women's jerseys?!?

When I transitioned to bibs, I started with Volers, just to make sure I liked the idea of bibs. They were a lot cheaper than the other (meager) options out there. Once I knew I was hooked on bibs, then I started building a better collection.

You're pretty cool for worrying about this so much. Does your girlfriend have a pair of shorts she loves? You may get lucky -- they could be the PI Microsensors, and your bib problem is solved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes bibs more comfortable than regular cycling shorts?

I would definately get the St. Pauli Girl effect, so I've never tried them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to get lucky! :-P

Actually... she mostly rides in tri shorts (the horror!) which hasn't been a problem since she's been on her road bike which is fairly upright. We'll be doing some longer rides this spring and I thought I'd get her a pair of bibs - just to see if she like's em. The more she likes riding... the better it is for me (see, I'm not that sweet... it really is all about me :-))

Personally I am partial to Capoforma and Craft. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes bibs more comfortable than regular cycling shorts?

I can't speak for the ladies, but for men ... they stay where they are supposed to without a waistband. When I ride with cycling shorts the pad tends to move and, on a long ride, the shorts can bunch. Plus, the waistband can be uncomfortable on long rides.

With bibs, the shorts stay exactly where they are supposed to without bunching - meaning less chafing and more padding where you need it.

I have a handful of pairs of cycling shorts (from my team) that I just wont wear. For Tri's I wear a 2XU or Descente short because they are tight enough to stay where they are supposed to, but they're not comfortable for training.

BQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Emilio made his women's tri-shorts in bibs, I'd wear them on my road bike! I even emailed him about it once. Apparently, there's no demand for them. Grrrr!

As for Craft and Capoforma, I don't think Craft makes women's bibs, which REALLY annoys me because I like their gear. There aren't any on their website. I don't believe Capoforma does, either -- none on their US distributor's site.

After all this bib talk, I think I'm going to order the Assos bibs. Thanks for helping me spend money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your boyfriend to buy them! :-D That's what they're for!

I think you'll like bibs, but as someone mentioned... if you ride with bibs, you'll prob want to have a full length zip jersey as well. Or, at least a 3/4 length. Guys can get away with just pulling down the front (they're designed for that) but women will have a trickier time on "nature breaks". A full length zip on your jersey helps expedite the process.

Good luck.

B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish my boyfriend would buy them for me! But he thinks the whole cycling scene is "interesting," so that's probably not going to happen!

As for jerseys, yes, i know -- I'm the one who mentioned always wearing them. But the men's full-zips don't look as good -- the zipper doesn't lie well.

This is when i start thinking about designing a line of women-specific cycling clothing ... that apparently will not be in demand.

Good luck to you, too. In all seriousness, I'd give some thought to the PI Microsensors. They're not crazy expensive like the Assos, and they're comfortable, at least for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm late to this party, but thought I'd chime in. I am one of the few women I know that loves bibs! I love them because 1) they stay put, 2)they don't crease my stomach in half like shorts do, 3) they make me feel skinnier because of #2- no squeezed in stomach with a waist band 4) I can breathe easier in them 5) they are more comfortable to me

I have many different makes and models of bibs.
Worst- Voler (itchy stitching, wrong size suspender part) and Hincapie-(long enough for George's legs.)
Best- Verge. They know how to make women's shorts and bibs. They are the right length for me (I'm 5'4") and the bibs are made out of a nice, breathable fabric.

Suspenders on shorts have always been comfortable on me- maybe because I am small chested. I think you only have to watch when it comes to bib/suspender tights. I have a pair with some uncomfortably placed buckles. Clearly not made with women in mind! As for chamois- usually the highest end racer one works best for me. That is definitely not the place to chince.

For the person that asked about full zip women's jerseys- I have been happy with my Hincapie ones. Good fabric, zipper isn't too bulky.

What was that about velcro in the back of a pair of bibs?! Tell me more! That is the worst part about bibs for women-for sure. If know I am going to do long rides or be needing to get out of them a lot, full zip jersey is a must...or shorts.

I think women don't wear bibs because of the obvious bathroom limitations, because they are more expensive than shorts when getting into the sport, and you can't wear cute tops with them because of the suspenders.

My $.02

Anne

Edit: I haven't tried Craft- but I haven't met a Craft product I haven't liked :)
Last edited by: trigoneroadie: Mar 7, 08 21:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that bibs might be more comfortable on a "apple shaped" woman but I doubt that they would be any better on a "pear shaped" woman. I've tried on a variety of bib shorts over the years, Pearl Izumi, Assos, LG and Sugoi. I've never found a pair that I thought for a second would be more comfortble than regular shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went to the Verge website...Do you use the unisex bibs or are there womens bibs (which I didn't see)?
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked out the label...and they must be men's. I totally thought they were women's, but my shorts from them say "Women's Racing" and the bibs just say "Racing". Hmm.

I checked the label on my most recent pair of Hincapie bibs and they say 'Women's' on them. I know that this last pair of Hincapie bibs I received were actually way way better than the first pair I have. But I will tell you they run very small. They other ones were huge on me, these are a different fabric and much smaller. But I guess it is Hincapie that makes Women's bibs.

FWIW, the men's Verge are comfy and not too long on my short legs.

ac
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Assos bibs for women. They have the strap up the middle rather than over the ..um ...

Not only stylish but very comfortable. My friend loves hers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something to keep in mind with bibs is rest stops when it is cold. My wife would like to wear bibs but to take a nature break on training rides, that means removing the top in order to get the straps off the shoulders. When we are training together not a problem but when she is with the Saturday ride group, she worries that the extra time to get undressed/dressed for pit stops would take to much time. Now my recommendation would be the 2008 Castelli 'Free' bibshort which is now available in a womans style and from my male perspective, seems to be a bibshort that would not create the St. Pauli's girl effect:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had never worn them until this weekend with the new kit. LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be buying a lot more of them for sure. But thankfully, our jerseys are full zip so you can get them off easy.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts for women [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what brand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply