Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? UPDATE!!
Quote | Reply
So I am six-one and pretty hefty. I tried on a De Soto T-1 bibjohn today. Then cried. Ohmigod. You know how there's great big armhole cutouts on the sides -- more like straps up the back and down the front than armholes? Well, talk about muffin-top on the sides. Muffin-top doesn't do it justice ... it was like bread dough with twice too much yeast spilling outta the bowl.

The De Soto people are SUPER NICE and HELPFUL and I guess the problem is my body more than the T-1, but is there any hope? Anyone have a similar experience & found a solution?

Of course, since I'm pretty buoyant already, swimming with The Thing on really throws off everything I learned. Visions of thrashing about in the Gulf of Mexico at St. As screaming my bloody head off and hoping that some kayak can pull me to shore. Sheesh.

Ever think maybe you're just not cut out for this stuff???? Even the most simple stuff in the world turns into agony on me.

Just needed to rant. Sigh. Thank you. I'm done now...
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Mar 11, 08 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your answer is the wetsuit pants. I love them. I forget what they are called, but SA isn't going to be a cold swim, is it? The pants will keep you bouyant. Maybe Emilio could work with the bibs to do this?

And by November the problem will be moot!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it helps at all, you are definitely not alone in wanting to cry when trying on wetsuits and in thinking that you're not cut out for this stuff. I've definitely been there! My hubby is also 6'1" and a pretty big guy and he had a similar freak-out/adjustment period when he got his T-1. I listened to a very similar rant, but he's slowly getting used to the thing. For a long time, he just went without a wetsuit because the fitting issues were such a nightmare. It took me a while to get used to the wetsuit when swimming, so I'd say give it a couple more swims, if you can.

The wetsuit pants might be another good option!

This too shall pass and you're going to kick St. A's @$$. :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the suggestions! i will look into the wetsuit pants. Roberta at desoto sports is so kind and nice and good and helpful. she's sending over a size larger bib john to see if that works. the skinny guy in the de soto video is emilio ... daggone, man, you look good! i told Roberta that they should have a fat woman wrassling with that bib john trying to pull it on over her hips in the video instead of some perfectly fit man-type. let's see how the next size up does. my problem is as much in my height as my girth, stuff is always too short for me. I know the De Soto peeps will do right by me, it's just a matter of figuring out what works best.

as my first DH used to say, "onward and upward into the deepening gloom!"

we shall prevail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>the skinny guy in the de soto video is emilio ... daggone, man, you look good! <<

HA! Yes he does. And Emilio LOVES THE WOMENS!

In fact, he'll be at THE WOMENS Training Camp in April.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will!?!?! YAY!

Dreaming-Big, hang in there! I"m sure you will come up with a solution with the DeSoto peep's help. Wetsuit shopping sucks...
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can already taste his famous margaritas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first time I tried on a wetsuit I could've modeled for Edvard Munch's "The Scream". The ONLY woman I've ever seen in person that looked half way okay in a wetsuit is Desiree Ficker--for the rest of us, the rubber makes us all look big in the hips and bulges.
I would recommend trying other brands and even men's sizes. Some of my swimmer friends with bigger arms and shoulders wear men's wetsuits or the 2 piece wetsuits with a bigger top. My first wetsuit was a Promotion which has a special women's size--something like "Extra Medium"--for gals with bigger hips and butt. It fit me just fine, but not after trying on many other wetsuits.
Are you cut for this? You showed up and tried on that T1, right? Of course you are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Emilio could work with the bibs to do this?

That's good advice. I bought one of the the first generation sleeveless Dos tops several years ago and had fit problems with it. I called Emilio and he altered it to where it fit perfectly. Not only that, I had a race coming up and he offered to let me use his personal T1 until mine was delivered! Now THAT'S service!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a wetsuit last year; I am about 5ft5in, and weighed about 180 at the time. It is a two piece wetsuit, and for the life of me I cannot remember its brand name. You call up, and you give them your measurements, and they tell you your size. I was like a size 10 in this wetsuit.

I have long pants with a bib, and the second piece is a long sleeved jacket over it, and it was reasonable and I love it! I will post its name when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a Pro Motion wetsuit, and here is the website:

http://www.promotionwetsuits.com/web/products_page.cfm

If you are a member of beginner triathletes, you get a discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have wetsuit info for you but I have to tell you: I think you RULE. I have checked out your blog too (slow work days) and it brings me back to the year I did my first IM in 2000. I was 'fat', signed up for an IM, and I knew that everyone in my little triworld was sizing me up and thinking: there is no fcking way she will do it. Buying my first bike, buying my wetsuit, going to group rides where Id see people's faces fall (damn the fat slow chick showed up I guess we might have to slow down..wtf is she thinking???) Well yeah I DID finish that one, and 7 more. The first year I finished it was in in 15 hours, and those that mocked me before were shocked that I did it. Got faster and thinner. Not that you or anyone else has to get thinner or faster, as we are all awesome the way we ARE....but it feels good, no great! to surprise people and beat the ones that used to mock you. Yes now I am fast enough that I surprise myself and I never thought this possible. I do not have any natural talent but I am one stubborn beyatch! Hard work can pay off. This year I qualified for Boston, after losing 30 pounds. I never cried at any IM but when I crossed that finish line at the marathon where I qualified and saw the clock I fell over and cried! the fat girl from gym class not only did a marathon but she qualified for Boston! never in a milion years would I have thought that was possible. I remember the first time I tried on a wetsuit and almost cried. No I did cry. Now its too big and I need a new one. I remember telling some skinny someone good athlete I was doing Ironman and she slowly looked me up and down, sizing me up, as I didnt 'look' a certain way. I remember how shitty I felt as her look said: no way fatty are you doing it. But a few years later....beating her at a half marathon last week? that was priceless. Her look when she saw me the way I am now? fantastic.
But there really should be wetsuits designed for everyone! in every size.
Anyway, I just know you are totally going to do it. You don't let this stand in your way. Me, I might have just cried and been too scared to pursue it or ask around for help. You, you do not give up. That is so admirable.
No matter what happens in AZ you are an Ironwoman already. You can't measure a person with a clock that runs out at 17 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, kbee, what a major major accomplishment for you! you da bomb, girl! Eight of 'em! whoah buddy! just lemme get my shrinking butt crost the finish line one little old time ... the tri gods have been generous over the years, and i'm beginning to believe it possible ... nine months and counting! thanks for the pat on the back, it feels more than a little undeserved but thanks, i'll take all the attaboys i can find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go kbee! Anyone who finishes an IM is the bomb. Even if you're me - small and slow!
WE're all made of iron in one way or another!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? UPDATE!! [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Roberta at the De Soto Sports office answers the phone and listens to me all teary and stuff, ends up sending me the T-1 bottoms in the next bigger size, doesn't want a credit card or anything, super nice lady. The wetsuit comes to the office yesterday. I take it upstairs to the gym. It fits!! Eureka!! I feel like I'm putting on panty hose that are too short, gotta yank up the butt way high (which is kinda hard with my shoulders, but hey.), do some more adjusting in the water. Thank god I've got a lane to myself. So I'm doing laps, trying to get used to the thing. Problem is, I still don't have a top, so my ass is way buoyant, hanging above the water, probably, like a whale about to spew. I visualize this big black blob moving slowly up and down the pool. That's my ass.

Get in the car after work, get a phone call from Emilio De Soto himself. He'd read the post and wanted to help get the right fit to get me out in the water and be successful with this nutty IM dream. What a truly nice guy! So bottom line: we're working on a top that won't aggravate my shoulders ~~ he's got a sleeveless model that may do the trick ~~ and he's gonna do a little custom work on the bottoms (straps are a little too long), so we're gonna have the Rolls Royce of wetsuits out there in the Gulf of Mexico in April.

Way cool. Super company, super phone lady, super owner of the business. Everything you'd expect in terms of customer service, and more. Is there any hope? YOU BETCHA!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Fat Woman in a Desoto T1 -- Is There Any Hope? UPDATE!! [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, not only is Emilio very accomodating, professional, and helpful, he is super cute and makes killer margaritas. ;-)

We love the Cuban Flash!
Quote Reply