Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids, full time job, and training
Quote | Reply
and family/friends, and other hobbies. How do you do? I'll have a baby in a couple of months, and I was wondering if I will be able to manage all these responsibilities. I need some comfort! Will I be able to train for at least HIM, and maybe an IM while my baby will be under 1 y.o.? (I prefer long distance)
Quote Reply
Re: Kids, full time job, and training [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes a lot planning and sometimes you just can't get int he workout. My daughter is 8 and its getting a little easier. She is starting to develop her own social life (which ocassionally gives me some free time) and she can now ride a bike along with me on a run. She also races cx with me, that is a family friendly sport (at least here in NorCal). I don't have the luxury of a 2nd parent to help out. But she does have a Gram in Hawaii who likes to keep her for the entire summer, so I look for late season races. Its a challenge, but not impossible.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a while for me. My youngest is 13. I wasn't an athlete when I had kids , but I did workout like a "normal person". From what I remember you will be really tired for the first 4-6 months until the baby sleeps through the night. I was able to get to the gym and workout for 60-90 mins a day. I was breastfeeding for the first year and working 12 hour shifts. I don't think I would have been able to train for a half IM or that I would want to. It's so much fun being a new mother! Good luck and enjoy it b/c when your children are teenagers you will be nostalgic for the infant-toddler years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the first year with each of my children very difficult. I don't think I could have raced long course when they were that young. I spent most of that time in a fog because of lack of sleep. Things really settle down after the first year, though. I would pick a race that will be challenging for you, but it won't be terrible if you don't get in 10+ hours of training a week. Something that you have some flexibility with. So, maybe try to improve your Oly time. The training for an Oly will only help you in years 2 and 3 when you get back to the long stuff. But, I think you'll just be setting yourself up for too much stress and frustration if you try to train for long course when your baby is under 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids, full time job, and training [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto to what Dawn said, but here's an idea.

Did you say that you especially enjoy long course? (sorry, i can't reference the OP and reply at the same time)

If so...I wonder if you search really hard, could you find one of those unusual long course races. one that, instead of the normal tri mantra of working your weakness, works your stregth. B/c you have enough new challenge right now.

For example, an Aquabike event, or Duathlon, or Aquathlon, or otherwise unevenly distributed triathlon. I know a tri that has the swim and run of an Oly but the bike is closer to that of an Iron. there must be other offbeat distances around if you search hard enough.

Also, relay team, that do anything for you? Too obvious, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS, bless you for even THINKING about getting on bike saddle and giving birth int he same converstaion. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first post in TWF... wao. Also i am not a woman :)

I'll say NO, dont do it, is not worth it. First you will probably be out of commission depending on natural or c-section delivery for about 1 month before you are really ready to start working out seriously but you will be much more tired too.

Besides the fact that I want to spend time with my daughter (she is 3 weeks old) and we have another 2.5 yo, they take up a lot of your time and my wife doesnt even work. I decided once the pregnancy was reaching the end that 2008 for me will be a get faster year, as in only sprint and couple of oly's and go as fast as you can (i have never puked before but I am looking forward to it). I'll also do some cycling TTs, centuries, and tons of road races but I dont really have to adjust my training much to do that since most are for fun with the boys. I will personally revisit HIM again in 2009 and IM maybe end 2008 or 2010.

The above strategy already yielded a 18 minute Half Marathon PR.

Last year with my daughter being almost 2 and until recently, my scheduling started to come together because she was much more predictable so I could plan my workouts with minimal disruption to the family time (this is always key for me) but now I am tired in the morning for waking up 2 or 3 times between 11pm and 5am and have missed several of my morning workouts which I would pretty much never did before unless I was extremely fatigued. This will probably go on for a couple of more months until hopefully she starts sleeping through the night but then colics can become and issue, who knows, you will have to wait an see.

With all that said, I dont know your fitness level, base, years racing, etc and of course you can always do it and just go along for the ride, finish in whatever amount of hours it takes you and be happy if thats what makes you happy. This is of course just my opinion, as I said, it will take a toll on you, your family and might not be worth it.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Last edited by: ivansie: Feb 27, 08 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My baby is 3 months old today, this is my second week back at work, and I can't imagine training for anything long right now! I keep hoping that maybe by the end of summer or early fall things will have straightened out a bit, but we'll see. I have been missing tons of early morning workouts, too. Ok, all of them, really, due to being so tired from the lack of sleep. And really, early morning is about the only time I have to do that right now and still see my baby!

I have learned in the past 3 months what it means to work out "for fun", and I plan on playing it all by ear until the schedule smooths out a bit. So if that means nothing but sprints this year, or even just swim meets and/or road races, then so be it. It's kind of hard to reconcile that because I want to get back out there so badly, but at the same time right now I appreciate any workout I manage to get in, more than I ever did before.

So really, I have no words of wisdom for you, but you'll figure it out for yourself when the time comes. Flexibility is key, I think that is about all I've learned at this point. But we should have lots to chat about in the coming months, I look forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did am IM when K was 20months old, and worked full time. It was hard, and a real killer. In fact it certainly contributed to my marriage ending. I have lots of ideas and tips & tricks. I'll see if I can post more later today when I have more time (buried at work ugh).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Kids, full time job, and training [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But my point is that I'll be on a maternity leave from October to September... So maybe IMLP would be a great idea, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say anything is possible. I have 2 kids (6 and 3), am a single mom, and a resident (underpaid slave doctor). I find that training for triathlons is about the only thing that keeps me sane. I know it takes a TON of time-- I basically do 2 one hour work-outs daily during the week (one before work and one after), and on the weekends try to do a long run and a long bike early in the a.m.

My sister lives with me, which is why I can go in the a.m., and the YMCA has free childcare, so I can go in the p.m.

I really don't struggle with the time it takes away from my kids, or my studying-- I feel that this balance keeps mama happy, and a happy mama makes happy kids. I also think it shows a good role model for kids to have an athlete parent, as opposed to the endless inundation of junk food and video games they otherwise get. My oldest daughter is doing her first triathlon this summer (for kids, of course)!

One thing about pregnancy to remember-- it took you 9 months to get the body you have when you deliver, so don't fret if it takes 9 months to a year to get your "old" body back. Just don't be too hard on yourself. Also, having a newborn is very tiring, and don't put too much pressure on yourself early on. After 6-8 months hopefully Junior will have more of a routine, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three daughters, the youngest 6 and agree that the older they get, the easier it is to train. I couldn't not imagine training for a long course when Zoey was a baby. I kept up my running, and did a marathon when she was about 8 mos old, but it wasn't for anything more than completion. A lot of my runs were with a baby stroller and a lot ended early. You have to be patient with no expectations. It does get easier!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Bad idea. Sorry, my honest opinion.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can read "my story" here: http://pedergraham.blogspot.com/...dical-tent-with.html

In the month since I wrote this, my thinking has become even clearer. It was great to get back to long course racing after my back surgery to prove I could. It was he!! on my marriage--and I feel like I have a very stable, high communication marriage (12 years and still going strong).

Anyway, food for thought!

All these baby posts today. I would like to borrow one for a half hour and coo and cuddle and then deliver back to Mom! I'd have my fix for the month...

-Danielle
Quote Reply
Re: Kids, full time job, and training [pedergraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P.S. I have not worked since 2 months before my daughter was born.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I have a bit more time now... I would plan for the bulk of your training for once your little one is 1yo or older. You can get a lot of workouts done at lunch during the work day. And in the morning before you have to get the little one up and off to daycare. Also, your body may just not be ready. If you plan on breastfeeding you will find it really tough. You may not have the energy to do both - train and breastfeed. You will also find that your relationship with your spouse will change a lot over that first year, and unless (s)he is fully on board with your training, and that means (s)he watching the kidlet while you train - alot - then you are going to be in for a big surprise.

While it is do-able, heck almost anything is, I think you could really be setting yourself up for failure/disaster by trying to aim too high in that first year. Have you ever done an IM? I assume you have done a 1/2IM from your first post, so I would suggest you work towards one or two 1/2IMs in that first year. I loved my IM experience, I did, but there is no way I could have physically or mentally done in it that first year.

PM me if you want to talk further. I know it's not what you want to hear, I know you are hoping to have some posters tell you to do it, that you want someone else to buy into your goal and dream. I just can't do that with a good conscience.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, maybe I should have posted more details in my first email...

- 2008 would have been my 5th years of tri, and before that I was always active;
- I did a couple of HIM (PB of 5:04 on a very fast course), so I considere I'm in good shape
- Did 2 IM: FL in 06, and LP in 07
- Was training for another IM
- And I will be in maternity leave from October to September, so that's why I'm considering doing IMLP in 09
- My husband is very supportive, and is also doing tris, but he's less competitive.
- Grand-parents will be 15-30min drive from home and would be more tha happy to babysit for a couple of long bike rides...

But I have NO idea of what I'M gonna go through, so that's why I ask opinion... and obvisously, when I'll be back to work, I'll keep it to the sprint level, and maybe a HIM at the end of the season, just for fun...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not have a lot of expectations the 1st year. I remember many nights in the 1st couple months where I got maybe 3-4 hrs sleep. I was breastfeeding and it can really wear you out. Just enjoy that time with your baby and let yourself heal up. The time will fly by. When I was working I thought I'd have so much extra time when I stayed home with my kids but it didn't work out that way till they went to school. I think training for something would be great for your sanity after a few months maybe but I can't imagine doing more than an hour a day for the first 6 mths to year.

Have fun and congrats!
Kathy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the time I had K i had been tryi'ing for 5 years as well. I was not as fast as you but certainly very active.

Re: 1/2s, I think that's a better idea. Then there's no HUGE pressure on yourself, and you can have a little more fun racing AND (best part for year 1) you can train less and sleep more/enjoy bebe more. You never get that first year back.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to contribute, but I wanted to say that y'all are amazing -- training, working full time, kids! I'm entering a very busy period at work, and I can't find the time to do much more than run ... and I don't have children!

So hats off to all y'all master time-managers! I don't know how you do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLP will always be there - but your baby won't be an infant again. Training for an IM takes a lot out of you - I wouldn't try to combine the two. You might be able to get the training in, but the training will make you tired and you will already be sleep deprived. Wait a few years, it will be worth the wait, I promise.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids, full time job, and training [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all the posts here. I really appreciate the comments, especially from the ones who went through training with child. You made me realize that IM training would be possible, but I may miss the most important steps of the development of my baby, and IM will always be there. What do you think of training for a marathon? I think this would be a lot more feasible. No? I have never trained for a stand alone marathon, but I guess that I could do a good time with 6-8hrs of training per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you really need to wait and see how you feel once you've had the baby. If you have a hard birth or a c-section, your recovery could be tough. If you want to breast feed the baby, training could have an effect on that. What's the rush? It will take some time until your body feels right - let alone having the energy or desire to really train. Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say go for it, except I remember that running was the *last* sport I picked back up again - mostly due to breastfeeding issues and fatigue. FWIW, I was swimming by week 6+, riding daily by month 4+ and doing crits and road races by month +6, but I don't think I started running again until about that same time (6+mo). Maybe just start running when ready and see how it goes. Can you ramp up to marathon distance in 6months? I'm sure you could. Play it by ear baby! AP

------------------------
Quote Reply