Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Woo hoo - I'm pregnant
Quote | Reply
And we are finally telling people. I am 12 weeks pregnant and due September 8th. I have so many questions beyond the pregnancy and training thread that I started my own thread. The timing of The Womens forum is perfect. Some of you mothers out there are likely going to read this and think "Poor kid, she has no idea what she's getting into" and it's true, we are in for a big awakening. We haven't even had a chance to practice with a dog first. Oh well, here's a list of questions that have been festering in my head, any feedback is appreciated:

1. Do my boobs stop growing at some point during pregnancy? It's getting out of control and different books tell me different things. I've been doubling up my sports bras but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick which leads me to question 1.a - is there a good sports bra with adjustable straps that will give me some room for adjustment as they change size?
2. Should I consider getting new running shoes since my weight and center of gravity is going to be changing. I always wear Kayano's but do I need something with more cushioning and stability?
3. Is it in my head or is there aero position on my bike already uncomfortable?
4. Running (since about 5 weeks of pregnancy) is constantly interrupted by emergency runs to the bathroom. I've been running on the treadmill mostly just so I can make sure I don't get too far from a bathroom when this predicament arises. Will this get better or is this just going to get worse as pregnancy progresses?
5. When my belly starts to get big will it get uncomfortable to run - kind of like how it's uncomfortable when your chest gets bigger? I've heard mention of a belly band, what is this and does it work?
6. After birth, how long did most of you breastfeed and did it play a role in how quickly/not quickly you are able to get back in shape? The breastfeeding thing is a total mystery to me.
7. How old does a baby have to be to run with it in the running stroller?

Thanks again for any help. Lots of changes in the future for us!
Last edited by: snotrocket: Feb 27, 08 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I cannot answer any of your questions (sorry), but I can say congratulations! My husband and I are waiting until after IMLP to start, so I'm eager to hear the answers to your questions. Also, I love your screenname!

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!
You are in for the race of your life! It is truly the most wonderful I have ever experienced (pregnancy and now with an 18 month old).

I became pregnant immediately after IMFL 2005. I am starting my training program now for IMLOU 2008 and plan to get pregnant immediately after that race.

I had a c-section, so no exercise for me for 6 weeks. I started running with her in the baby stroller about 12 weeks. Most baby strollers don't give the headsupport you will need until about 3 months of age.

I breastfed forever (about 14 months). I am actually smaller chested now than before I ever got pregnant. The nursing never got in the way of working out except if i was very full and hadn't nursed in a while. Your body will adjust to your baby's feedings after about 3 months and you will find you will not be leaking most likely after that.

The best part is because of you being in great shape pre-pregnancy, you will bounce back amazingly fast!

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I live in the Chicago burbs and am in CTC as well.

Email me anytime and I can give you my phone number as well.

anne@poshpossessions.com

Enjoy,
Anne

www.poshpossessions.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And we are finally telling people. I am 12 weeks pregnant and due September 8th. I have so many questions beyond the pregnancy and training thread that I started my own thread. The timing of The Womens forum is perfect. Some of you mothers out there are likely going to read this and think "Poor kid, she has no idea what she's getting into" and it's true, we are in for a big awakening. We haven't even had a chance to practice with a dog first. Oh well, here's a list of questions that have been festering in my head, any feedback is appreciated:

1. Do my boobs stop growing at some point during pregnancy? It's getting out of control and different books tell me different things. I've been doubling up my sports bras but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick which leads me to question 1.a - is there a good sports bra with adjustable straps that will give me some room for adjustment as they change size?
2. Should I consider getting new running shoes since my weight and center of gravity is going to be changing. I always wear Kayano's but do I need something with more cushioning and stability?
4. Running (since about 5 weeks of pregnancy) is constantly interrupted by emergency runs to the bathroom. I've been running on the treadmill mostly just so I can make sure I don't get too far from a bathroom when this predicament arises. Will this get better or is this just going to get worse as pregnancy progresses?
5. When my belly starts to get big will it get uncomfortable to run - kind of like how it's uncomfortable when your chest gets bigger? I've heard mention of a belly band, what is this and does it work?
6. After birth, how long did most of you breastfeed and did it play a role in how quickly/not quickly you are able to get back in shape? The breastfeeding thing is a total mystery to me.

Congratulations!!! I was not doing tris when I had my boys but will answer as best I can:

1. my boobs never stopped - every trimester I needed bigger bras - I am not quite a B and topped out at DD nursing....I did find an adjustable running bra - Champion - but that was back in 1995....happy to send it to you ;)
2. go by how you feel - you may or may not need to change. My feet grew with second kid....
3. not in your head. Everyone is different. I could not run with baby number 1 from early on - it hurt....but was fine with second kid
4. gets worse not better. by the end I had to have extra scrubs on call cuz I could not sneeze without peeing myself even if I held myself! can you say KEGELS? start them NOW
5. the belly supports are nice for some women - I used the Japanese Weekend sports leggings which have a built in band to support your belly. again, everyone is different. I have had patients who run until the very end and others who were uncomfortable earlier. listen to your body.
6. I breastfed both kids to about 15 months. And I was in residency. Neither kid saw formula. And when I had time I worked out - again not doing tris back then but did run, bike and go to gym....and skied...
7. I used the jogger for rollerblading REALLY early - I just put a towel around the baby's head to support it. I was blading by 6 weeks postpartum. I don't recommend intense exercise before the 6 week mark - your uterus has to heal - the placenta leaves a pretty big defect - so not only is the uterus getting back to normal size but that surface has to heal.

good luck, feel well and happy to answer any questions I can!

cat

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I can't answer most of your questions because I didn't start tri training until my youngest was about 2. I'll answer what I can:

1. My boobs swelled almost instantly with pregnancy and stayed there. After birth, you've got the added complication of breastfeeding where they will rise and fall depending on supply and demand. :) Just get used to it.

4. I had an almost constant urge to go pee and it gets worse as the pregnancy progresses. I wasn't running at the time, but I don't think it's going to get any better for you. Sorry!

6. I breastfed for about 8 months. Most mothers love breastfeeding. I hated it. Again, sorry to break it to you, but I found it hard and I was so happy when my girls wanted to go to a cup (they both went right to a cup from the breast). Breastfeeding didn't really help me get back into shape, although I wasn't working out regularly, so my situation will be different than yours.

My best advice to all new mothers is to just learn to be flexible. Worry about what's important (the health and happiness of you and your baby) and stop worrying about what's not (like dirty dishes or unmade beds). Make sure you take care of yourself. A happy mother is a happy family. :)
Last edited by: DawnT: Feb 27, 08 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add that while breastfeeding, wear tops with patterns rather than solids. If I heard a baby cry (even someone else's) I would start squirting milk. Like the femme bots in Austin Powers, only not bullets.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No answers to any of your questions - just wanted to say congrats! Does this mean you won't be kicking our asses at IMOO again this year? ;-) Or heck, even Rockman, the HHH, etc......

Thanks for sharing the news! :-)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Three cheers for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I am due with #2 about a month before you. Hope you're feeling well.

1. Mine did....although I have really not much to start with anyway. They grew a bit in the first trimester and then stopped....until the milk comes in. Then it looks like I got HUGE implants. So funny.

2. I never changed running shoes. Although, my feet did get a bit bigger with my first. Had to change some dress shoes, but my running shoes always seemed to fit.

3. I am with you on that one....already a bit uncomfortable for me, too.

4. Um, yeah, might stay about the same or worse. I would only run on the treadmill late in my pregnancy last time since I was stopping every 2 miles or so to pee. :)

5. Well, the big belly doesn't move around like the boobs do. It is hard and stays put, the pain you feel is from the extra weight and how you're body adjusts. I ran last time until about 8.5 months and used one of those bands. It helps disperse the weight and saved my hips a lot of pain. It's basically a strap that goes around the lowest part of the belly and helps you to run without pain.

6. I breastfed last time until she was a year. I think it really helped me to lose the baby weight...not necessarily get back in shape though. That's all on us. I did my first half IM when my little girl was less than a year old and I breastfed the whole time. Everyone is different, but I found it to be really enjoyable and relatively easy.

7. We started around two months....way before the books say you should. But, I put one of those head supports in there and made sure I was on non-bumpy trails and would check to see if her head was upright. She loved it and was totallly fine. We got a Baby Jogger running stroller and I loved it.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Congratulations! Seems there is a nice little group of us who are all due around the same time!

Mine went in spurts the first PG, I'd just buy a new bra every time the old ones get too tight. You'll use them on the way back down too. And yea when your milk comes in it seriously looks like you got implants. One side came in about 12 hours before the other for me and it was hilarious the size difference.
Unless you start having knee/feet problems I wouldn't switch shoes. I never did and was fine.
At about 8 weeks I started to hate leaving over on the bike, it was uncomfortable and made me feel fat. I don't bike much in pregnancy.
Yea this won't get any better...sorry.
You know I tried a support band my first PG and really didn't like how it felt. I preferred to wear fitting tank tops. I just bought a "bella band" today which is made out of a more lycra-like material and I might use that for exercising later in pregnancy. Last time by the time I was big enough that the belly would have been an issue I was running slow enough that it wasn't. If that makes any sense.
I breastfed until I was PG with #2, 27 whole months. I know it helped me lose weight quickly and I don't think it was a detriment at all to getting back in shape. Some people talk about the baby not liking the lactic acid in breastmilk after working out, not my daughter she'd happily munch away when I got home even if I was still sweaty! I can't say enough positive about breastfeeding, I will say that you should do a fair amount of reading on it beforehand and take a class and find a lactation consultant just in case you need one. I had some issues at first but obviously was pretty successful after that. Oh and my daughter just loved to nurse. She'd probably still be nursing but I couldn't fathom the thought of nursing two at one time and when my boobs where tender in the first trimester it was not comfortable.
Technically 6 months. I waited until 5+ months and my daughter was big and strong. I was just really worried about injuring her and I was even more conservative and waited until 15 months to put her behind the bike. When they are behind the bike they really get jarred around so I wanted to make sure she was way big enough. But like all things it's up to you. Do your research, talk to your pediatrician and make the choice that is best for you.

My best advice to you is ask lots of questions, read lots, do lots of internet research and then decide what is best for YOU and your baby. It seriously amazes me how many moms take totally different paths and it really does seem to work out best for them.
[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all of the helpful information. I should clarify about the bathroom thing. Right now it isn't peeing, it is intestinal. So it sounds like I will soon have intestinal and bladder issues on the run to look forward to. Good times to come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after the initial frequent bowel thing I actually had constipation issues....licorice helped.
so if you are having intestinal issues, yeah you will have both ends going!!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No IMOO next year and I'm bummed I can't even volunteer since I'm due Sept. 8th. I will be at Rockman volunteering and cheering my sister on in her first half IM distance. I've made my sister sign up for all these races so I can go and cheer her on and live vicariously through her. She's either going to love triathlon or hate me after this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
I'm not a Doc, but in my experience, eating right had a whole lot more benefits than exercise during pregnancy. (The easiest way to lose the baby weight is to not gain too much!) I'm not saying don't exercise, but don't worry if you can't get in what you think you should. Also, I don't advocate starving yourself, just eat healthy, nutritious foods and don't pig out - ie. cut out the sugar if you haven't already...
Enjoy, and try not to stress, having a baby is the coolest thing in the world!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a baby in October. I breastfed for four months. I would have liked to have done it longer but I believe I may have exercised too much/not eaten adquately because when I returned to running longer distance at three months it only took about a month for me to stop producing enough for my son. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and eat properly...especially if you are exercising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news!!

I should add tho that I have contemplated using the following statement(s) as my sig line here on ST forums:

"pregnancy and childbirth: the world's oldest and longest endurance 'sport' "
"parenting teens: the world's oldest endurance event"

And I know you have heard how race reports (esp for IM's) are a WHOLE LOT like birthing stories!

Seriously, take care of yourself and your 'newbie' and enjoy the wonders of it all! :-))
Last edited by: PBJ: Feb 27, 08 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your little Virgo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!! Awesome news.

You've probably already gotten all the info you need, but I"ll chime in anyway for one more person's experience..

1. Mine just steadily increased. Title Nine sports has some good ones!
2. I wore the same running shoes the whole time, just rotating as normal. I was more prone to shin splints during pregnancy, but I think that was from the weight gain - more pressure on my shins.
3. Can't help, didn't ride.. but probably not in your head :)
4. You pee a lot in the first tri due to hormones, and a lot near the end due to the human kicking your bladder, or so I was told. Hopefully it will get easier for a bit. Run with TP in your pocket.. near bushes!
5. If I ran 5-6 days a week, I didn't get uncomfortable as the belly grew. Once i took a couple weeks off (shins!) and it felt weird the first time back, but then normal the next day. It's so gradual, I don't think you notice unless you take a break.
6. I breastfed for 10 mos to a year, I think even a little more with my last one. I started running a week - 10 days after having the baby, and didn't feel like the b/f was limiting my fitness at all. It didn't seem to affect milk production for me either, in fact, too long a run and I'd have to race back to the baby to empty out!
7. I think I did 6 weeks old, with one of those nests that go around the head for extra support. Good question for a pediatrician though, I think.

Congrats again snotrocket - you're in for a wonderful adventure.

And Katy - you crack me up with the femmebot comment. I was totally the same.

RR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!! My 2 tripals are also due around the same time...We did IMLP last summer and now they're both around 12-16 weeks pregnant. What was in the water 3 months ago? Now I'm scared...
Anyhoo, here's a link to an article about tri training and pregnancy that I remember reading:
http://www.triathletemag.com/...g/2006/storydda3.htm

My obstretrician friends tell me that the rule of keeping one's HR under 140 during exercise is really arbitrary. They tell me that a pregnant women during any trimester (but especially during the first 8 weeks when the fetus is forming organs) should do much or any anaerobic exercise. One of their biggest concerns was the shift in the center of gravity especially during the 2nd trimester which results in alot of pregnant women losing their sense of balance. So no mountain biking and limit the road bike to the trainer. Seems like by the time 3rd trimester rolls around swimming is the most comfortable and safe thing to do. Also, get ready for the 3rd trimester reflux--even GU comes back up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was teasing about IMOO - but it's too bad we won't see you out there blowing past us (me) in the opposite direction. :-) Did you put Michelle (I think that's your sister's name?) on your grueling 20 hrs/week regimen? If so.....yeah, I think she might hate you. ;-)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Katy - you crack me up with the femmebot comment. I was totally the same.

There were times I felt like I could've extinguished fires with those puppies.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the article. It's consistent with what my doctor has told me. I am fortunate that my doctor runs marathon and ran throughout much of her own pregnancy and she has been very frank with me. She's also been great because until we talked to her my husband was convinced running was bad for the baby. Now he's a firm believer in the benefits of exercise in pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Re: Woo hoo - I'm pregnant [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are my role model for running during pregnancy. Sounds like you made it almost the entire way.

I heard from Chip you are doing Rockman? True? I'm excited to cheer you on!

Gazelle - yep, my sister is Michele. I have her on a training routine but she is largely ignoring me. She's not quite as type A as her older sister.
[b][/b]
Quote Reply