Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
sports bra commendations for the well-endowed
Quote | Reply
Big boobs are great for filling out a dress, but can really suck when training for an Ironman. I am looking for sports bra recommendations. I'm a full 34 D (on good day)/ 34 DD. I've tried Champion, Moving Comfort and Nike's bras recommended for larger chests. The best Ive found was the Fiona Bra, but looking for something better. Any run lasting more than an hour or so leaves me bruised and with war wounds (yeah, bleeding isn't fun). Even if I use bodyglide, i still end workouts with marks. Dont even get me started on the lower back pain. Ive also tried running with 2 bras at a time for extra support, but its pretty uncomfortable.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

http://nikeep.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [greeneyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have left this on the main forum. The discussion would have been priceless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I myself am just a C, I've heard (probably here) that doubling up can help the truly top heavy.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid I don't speak from personal experience, but I've heard really good things about Title Nine from my more well-endowed friends.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Greeneyes,

I've been through the ringer with sports bras having been blessed (or cursed) with far more boob than I could want. I used to wear the Enell http://www.enell.com/ which was great. I have since had a reduction and while I'm far from small I find the shock absorber http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/uk/ a really great bra. From experience two bras that don't fit properly really don't do the job. One bra that fits well will make life a lot better for you.

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Enell at www.enell.com they also sell this bra at Title 9 known as the Last Resort Bra. I used to wear 2 of these bras. I have since had a reduction and I am still wearing this bra because it's fabulous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had exactly the same problem. I am most likely older than you and luckily my boobs have shrunk since childbirth/BF. But pre-kids I was a 32 D, and it sucked. Back then implants were less popular among the masses, so they were really noticeable and the comments (such as displayed on that deleted thread) made me feel cheap and degraded. I used to be so envious of girls who could wear strappy stuff without attracting attention. UGH! oh wait, back to bras. (plus I think times have changed with that sort of thing)

I lived with the chafing back then. I used to wear a smaller bra size, because I felt really ashamed if they bounced and attracted attention, I still have the scarring from it. I'd like to think now in 2008 there is a system that can avoid that awful chafing.

Happy ending, after all the body changes I am down to a 34 B or C depending on the maker. I am still bounce-phobic so I use the Fiona and it is perfect for me. Some days I use an Under Armor bra underneath a bra-top shimmel and that is enough. I have also noticed some extra support, if the underneath bra is a racer back and the shimmel is more of a cami style with straight straps. Have you tried mixing it up like that? Champion has (had?) one called the Marathon Bra with straight straps (it's ugly) that had some decent support, made out of coolmax.

Oh, last thing I just remembered. Post Partum I was like an E for "E" normous!!! I was chubby then too, but I still wanted to run, as I recall I wore 2 nursing bras layered. (36E I think!!) Not suggesting you use a nursing bra but just saying you might find your support outside the realm of sports bras. I remember at the time going through every single style in Title 9. What they called "support" was a joke. I also remember chatting in post partum support groups and some moms said they had luck with layer the bra on the OUTSIDE of a singlet and then obviousy another layer to hide it. :-/

I know none of this is a great easy fix to your problem of bruising and chafing AND being fashionable...at least you enjoy your dresses. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like Sheila Moon's bra tops - they are supportive AND great at wicking, unlike other bras that stay wet after the swim, this dries really quickly and remains supportive.

I'm a 36D and there is not bounce or bleeding.

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a 34D and love the lululemon bounce breaker. It's wicking and dries quickly. also it's thin and light. So many of the other bras are thick and heavy.

http://lululemon.com/.../bras/bounce_breaker

I have blue, black and white. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in need of new bras as well. I've used Title 9's Frog Bra and they work OK, when I'm heavier and boobs are bigger (like now a 36 D) I wear two. I've also been wearing the Road Runner Sports bra for larger breasted, but I bought them in a size small so they are super tight and therefore there is little bounce. I like wearing them for shorter distances, but I did manage make it through and entire IM with it on. I put it on right before the run though.
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez. I wish I could contribute to this thread. :|
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [MonicaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got nothing to contribute here either. I would be sad except we do get our choice of cute little bras to wear... there's just nothing in them. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! Thanks for all the recommendations. I can't remember the last time I was excited about going sports bra shopping!

Sidenote: It is really nice to have this Womens Thread, for questions just like this. I accidently posted on the main forum last night and had a couple of smart a*s remarks within minutes. Shocking, I know...

http://nikeep.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, Enell has a "vest" available for men. I always feel slightly sorry for dudes with man boobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happen to own a business that sells sports bras ;-)

To be perfectly honest with you, you may have to try multiple bras before
you find one that really works. Someone else might wear a 34D, but a bra
that they totally love might be uncomfortable for you.

That said, these are the bras we at Bra Diva recommend for larger cup sizes:
http://www.bradiva.com/shop/bysize/cd.html

The Champion Powerback is very popular and loved by many with larger cups (and is an encapsulation bra),
Enell is always a good bet, and Moving Comfort's Maia is another favorite
for those who are larger breasted.

I personally really dig the Sugoi Bridget and race in the Sugoi Race bra,
but my cup size isn't quite a D.

Anyway, take a look at the site and if you're interested in any of the
bras, I'll give you a slowtwitch 10% discount (just write slowtwitch in the
comments section of the order page :-)

Also, I'll work with you in terms of trying a few different bras, etc. to
find one that works. But no worries if you prefer to use a different store
(of course!).

Emily

Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences with reduction. Advice, regrets, applause? Feel free to PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly wouldn't consider myself "well-endowed," but I would like to point out that CW-X sports bras are awesome. Something like the Extra Support Bra would probably work well. They have a support web (like a five-point harness seatbelt for race cars or baby seats) built into each cup, so they are very effective in preventing any bouncing. They also tend to be much more comfortable than regular sports bras, since they give support without squishing one's chest. The only downside to the CW-X bras is that they tend to be a bit pricey, but I know many women who have found that they worked when no other sports bras did.

http://lesliesexton.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the CW-X. I used to wear the frog bra from title 9 but this is better. It is made of wicking fabric and really minimizes the bounce. I've done long races and had no chaffing at the finish line. They are a little pricey but a good bra is worth almost any amount of $$. CW-X was bought by Wacoal - a very well known, very good bra manufacturer - they know their stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to offer my support, but due to my gender am unable to post!

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the CW-X bras available through retailers? I hate buying bras online unless I know they fit.
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - you can find them in stores. I know my local running store (the runner's edge) has them. I've also seen them at marathon expos.
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyr has a pretty nice bra that's also wicking. I did IMFL with it on, and never chaffed. For race day sometimes I try to go a size smaller to keep excessive movement from happenning if you know what I mean.
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those front enclosures on the enell, does that hurt over long distance. think my size is just shy of a D (so i guess that is considered a full C, not even sure. although many times the C size sports bras wind up too small, or the snaps in back break, which has happened in almost every Fiona. maybe they were just too small.).

the snaps in front, i think that is a good design (as in it probably works good on the chest), but if running like 2 hours what does that closure do?
yeouch?

also that CW-X looks good, i'll try anything and need to order soon.
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 6, 08 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally do not wear the Enell, but two close friends of mine wear them. They tell me the front closure does not break or feel uncomfortable. You won't have to worry about it breaking. And Enell certainly keeps the ladies from bouncing!

One thing about Enell is that the bras are custom made. It's not some factory where they churn them out.

Also, have you tried the Champion Powerback? Or the Moving Comfort Maia?

Finally, statistics show that 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra! It might be worth re-measuring yourself to check on your size. We have a size calculator on our website:
[url "http://www.bradiva.com/size/index.html"]http://www.bradiva.com/size/index.html[/url]

Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Last edited by: bdiva: Mar 7, 08 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: sports bra commendations for the well-endowed [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha, brilliant!

many thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next