Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to get my weight below 150 so I'm no longer an Athena. I'm using the Weight Watchers system. When my weight is over 160, I follow the program very well and lose weight. When I get to 158, I completely lose my motivation, eat everything in sight, and end up a few pounds over 160.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem and found a solution?

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Sara Jean -

I"m a WW online follower too - so far I've lost 79lbs on it ... 82 was max, gained some back, now I"m focussed to ditchg my final 21lbs and get to goal.

I find that it's hard when you reach the point switch level ... I try to eat 1/2 the APs I earn and that has worked pretty well ... as for the actual motiviation - I'm working on running faster as lighter, new clothes and liking what I see in the mirror.

Hope that helps.

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Another WWer here. As much as I love the program, the key to success in ANY weight-loss program is keeping up the motivation. It's elusive. If the motivation is not there, no amount of good intentions will keep me from eating crap.

Suggestions: Remove trigger foods from your kitchen/desk/wherever. Remove yourself from problem situations (walk through the office via a route that does not pass the huge candy bowl, skip happy hour if necessary). And track EVERYTHING you eat, even the junk, even if you eat 100 points in one day. After a day (or week) or two you might just come back around and realize all is not lost.

There was a recent feature on the WW site about 1-point snacks -- many of them look quite good. I love the fact that I can make a veggie egg-white omelette for 1 point.

Try setting a goal for yourself with a target date. One thing that is really motivating me at the moment is IMAZ on April 13. I have a weight goal for that race and it is really keeping me focused! But then I set another weight-loss goal for June 1, which I hope will keep me from going way off the wagon after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough huh? I've been bitching about my weight for the last year. Why don't I make a better effort, I don't know. I'm trying to be a more mindful eater. Too many times I just shovel stuff down then think, why he hell did I eat that? I'm also trying to chew a lot slower. Being a fast eater is a bad thing.

I'm currently motivated by the upcoming ST gals weekend, a wedding and the fact that I feel badly about myself every freakin' day (weight wise, I like myself in general...) and I'm sick of it.

My new mantra is nothing tastes as good as loose pants feel.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
overall, i think it's a mentality. for awhile i wanted to be "marathon weight" where i was teeny tiny size2-4 (yeah, me! i can't believe it either, but it's true.).

i finally realized that i won't look like that unless i run marathons again, and i just don't want to. my focus has changed from "get thin" to "get as healthy as possible", and this has done wonders for my habits and outlook.

also i have come to accept my boobs and butt. yes, i can do things to improve my butt, but unless i run a marathon, my boobs aren't going anywhere. i've lost 15 pounds or so in the last year or so, and the boobs remain. now, it's ok, i accept it. i also accept that i don't have the make-up of a very lean triathlete woman; i just don't. rather, my natural type is strong and thick, that's just how it is. so, i'm focusing on "be healthy, and play to my strengths". also i have come to be more appreciative of what i can do, not what i cannot do.

so i don't freak out over my weight anymore.
for the first time in years i can do pull ups, and very challenging yoga stomach exercises (like 5 sets of 20 v-ups. i never could do that before). i can lunge up a hill several times, and feel physically powerful.
also, overall i know i'm working on myself, but have a committement to staying honest and playing to my strengths. and it's working.

my goal is "be healthy, and be as fit as i can be". it's been so much fun to work towards this, it's an all together different approach than i've had in the past.

good luck, i just wanted to share what is helping me, for whatever that is worth.
i have found in the past that when i set a goal that i didn't reach it's because i either didn't really want to reach that goal, or something else better/different occured along the way that caused me to change course.

best,
kitty
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 19, 08 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i try to get away from the scale. i've lost 5 lbs since last season, but my jeans are much looser than one would expect from 5 lbs. i think i've just leaned/hardened up and lost some fat. i have a pair of "skinny jeans" that i wear for going out. if i can fit into those comfortably great, if not, i cut back until i can again.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you on the motivation issues. Lately, the siren song of junk food has been too strong. It doesn't help that my schedule is screwed up right now (work or have class late (9:30-10pm) M, T & W and completely opposite of my hubby, so we get lazy and go for the easy takeout option. Not good! Luckily, I've been training consistently, so I'm not really gaining weight, but I'm definitely not losing it either.

My plan is to start tracking exactly what I eat (and hopefully guilt myself out of some of the bad choices) and then dig out the crockpot and start doing more plan-ahead cooking ideas as I've done in times past. I've been bringing healthy snacks to work which helps a ton. It's much easier to resist the giant bowl of M&M's in the office right behind me when I have an apple to munch on. Trader Joes carries these awesome little packets of almonds and trail mix (the kind with just dried fruit & nuts) that I stash in my bags/desk as emergency snacks. They are perfect for staving off the hunger pangs that frequently get me into trouble.

Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya on the boobs thing. They are the last thing to go when I lose weight and even when I'm IM ready they're still big. I've always thought is god's cruel joke to put big boobs on short people.

It sound like you and I have similar builds... baby got back.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hear ya on the boobs thing. They are the last thing to go when I lose weight and even when I'm IM ready they're still big. I've always thought is god's cruel joke to put big boobs on short people.

It sound like you and I have similar builds... baby got back.
yep. all 5'4.5 of it. lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mantra is "Nothing tastes as good as climbing well feels". This is great motivation in season, but not so effective in the dead of winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to get your weight down when you've become accustomed to a certain weight. I raced athena for several years and did very well at it. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to try to race in my age group and be competitive. It took me over six months to drop 7 lbs and guess what- it all came back on over the holidays. I blame it on the cold weather and my body wanted to naturally build a layer of fat to protect myself from the cold. So I started over again- January 1st. I don't buy chips anymore. On occasion I will get ice cream and chocolate for my husband and the kids. If I do have an absolute craving for something, I make sure I eat it within 30 minutes of a hard or long workout. My motivation is a two piece trisuit I want to be able to wear without my saddlebags showing. So far I've successfully kept off 3 lbs and I am almost down to my 4th lb since beginning of the year. If you need motivation to keep on going, just keep posting. We're here to support you. Take pride in the little accomplishments. If you fall off, get back up and keep on going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was well into athenaland and did several IMs even at 155 or so, and I am 5'5....for years I wanted to lose weight, couldnt figure out why I wasnt even though I was training alot, etc. Just started to accept it. ButI wanted to lose but maybe for vain reasons (look good, etc) Then I lost a bit of weight through running more and not eating processed foods, no WW or counting calories, etc. I saw a tremendous speed difference in running, and it became more and more fun as it got easier and I got faster. Then I found what motivated me to eat very healthy, not overdo it, lose all that weight, wasnt how I looked in tri clothes, etc, but to be thinner to get faster. By dropping 20 pounds I went from BOP to often getting hardware.

This webiste has been a major motivator and I plug in numbers for motivation:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php

see how much faster even a few pounds can make you? its like free speedwork.

Dont know if this helps you but it sure is the motivation for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow ... just plugged in my best time at current weight and my goal weight and yeowza ... I can take 17 minutes off .... this is fantastic motivation !

Thanks for sharing the link

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this website. It also lets you calculate running times based on your VO2 max. Pretty cool! I could spend a lot of time playing on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'5" as well and did my first two IMs at about 140-145 pounds. This time around I am determined to race thin, because I am sick of being mediocre and sick of putting in all the time it takes to get to an IM start line while carrying around extra weight! It's like ordering the diet coke with the Big Mac. I got down to 133 right before Christmas and felt awesome. Now I am back up at least 5 pounds due to loss of motivation and need to get back on track. My goal is to be 129 by CdA.
Motivation is hard to maintain. Losing weight is hard. Eating clean day in and day out is hard. To be healthy in this country you have to be abnormal. You can't be like everyone else, and that can wear down your motivation. It's annoying to be constantly eating the grilled chicken and steamed veggies at every restaurant. Or just not going out to eat when everyone else is going. It's annoying to have to spend all that extra time cooking to avoid processed food. It's annoying to log everything you eat. It's annoying to be hungry. It's annoying to feel like a failure when you eat your daughter's Valentine's Day candy. It's annoying when your fat pants are tight.
Hmmm...I think I just re-motivated myself with that ranting! Of course now it's time for me to go out to eat with my sister at the bakery/deli and she is having a "treat day" today which means I'll have to watch her eat her way through everything that is tasty and gooey and fattening and chocolately and cheesy and yummy. While I eat the grilled chicken salad without dressing, croutons, or cheese, thank you. Today I will focus on all the extra weight I will not be carrying along with me on June 22nd and maybe today I will survive the battle. And then tomorrow is another day.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it really hard to eat really well with two toddlers around. I am pretty good at avoiding sugars and junk food, my problem is mostly I like beer and wine. Oh and cheese. Damn, if I could cut back on those three things... sigh...

I did my first IM at 138lbs. I am usually 140-145. Even though I was wearing size 6, I was still almost 140. I have been that weight since Gr 8, even though the body composition has changed a lot over the years. Right now I am at 145 and slow and barely a size 8.

Motivation is a tough thing. I find for me the motivation to race and get faster is a far more powerful motivator than fitting into a certain pair of pants (oh don't kid yourself, I too have my skinny "test" pants...). So I train more, then I lose fat/gain muscle (don't really lose that much). I think I'd be happy to get back to 140 and just work on getting faster.

I read an article in a local fitness rag where they interviewed these five super hot & fit trainers in our city. They got food logs from all of them. It made me cry to read what they ate... and I knew I'd rather be a healthy and MOP 140lbs than to live like that. Virtually nothing tasty. Yeah yeah I know your tastes change over time (mine have from removing sugar from my diet) but their diets just sounded so utterly unappealing. I would prefer to work on portion control and eat some of what I like and some of what is best for me. Keep it balanced. Articles like that certainly did not motivate me to change my diet... just maybe to get back lifting weights ;-)

Good luck, keep it up girl.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [nutty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know! I do a little to much obsessing here! but its 'healthy', right??? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since you've posted this question i've thought about it several times. what i come back to every time is, "you have to want it".
it's often been the case for me, that when i wanted something...genuinely *wanted it*...things always to happened.

so, sarajean, i pose the question back to you. what is that you want?
i mean, what do you *really* want...

tap the door of the tiger, what is behind that door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>They are the last thing to go when I lose weight <

They were the first thing to go on me!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [MonicaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Nothing tastes as good as climbing well feels"

I'm going to try that one, next time my housemate brings home those chocolate chip cookies from Costco!

I'm 75% committed to doing the Auburn Half, but the winter weight hasn't been sliding off quite as easily this spring. It has nothing to do with my training schedule and everything to do with my eating habits.

Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Question -- Loss of Motivation [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up sweets (and fried food) for Lent (not that I'm a practicing Catholic, but its a good jump start to the season). I have been training a lot and have had no sweets or really any junk food for what, 3 weeks now? And I've lost one (1!) lonely pound.

Getting that weight loss started is HARD!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate - 5'1", 115 and size D bra. I was a size C before kids and that was big enough for me. I think I'm gonna get the surgery at the end of this season to put things back where they belong and maybe get back to that C again. I just hate being athletic and still huge. I can't believe all the women that get implants to get this way!
Quote Reply