Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

you faster than your man/partner?
Quote | Reply
The men being faster thread got me thinking...in my case, I am much faster than bf but that wasnt always the case. WHen we first got together he was way faster, and I just accepted it. Through a lot of work I got a lot better and now its a given I beat him at races that we do together and this is NOT going over well. He wont even go on long runs any more with me.
Has ego got in the way for anyone else? How do you deal with it?
I think its sad we have the same hobby but he wont even train with me anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: you faster than your man/partner? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes most of the time I am faster than my husband. He doesn't mind at all. I'm lucky that way. Also the reason he's not as fast is b/c he can't train as much as me. He works really hard at his job and I really appreciate that about him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted before that my wife always beats me swimming and running. Doesn't bother me a bit. Heck, she's younger and had a more extensive competitive sports background than I did, especially with running.

But I always beat where it really counts:-) - on the bike. Except just one time. She never let me live that down. If she started regularly beating me on the bike my ego would really be deflated since the bike is by far my favorite of the three.

We will bike and swim together, but she prefers not to run with me. Says I slow her up too much!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when swimming and boy do I cherish that! He'll occasionally challenge me to a race that he knows he's going to lose and I swear it's just to keep me running and riding with him. :-D My hubby is a bigger guy, but he's a pretty strong runner and cyclist. I think he's either got a really high suffering threshold or some naturally good aerobic capacity, because he can up and go for a run or tough ride after a long layoff and be just fine. I don't know that I'll ever be as fast as he is, (though I'm working on it) I just want to narrow the gap a little.

He's good motivation though, I'll give him that!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish! LOL

My husband is a runner. He is faster than I am but only slightly, so we can and do train together sometimes (although both of us admit that we prefer to use our training as "alone" time). Actually, he is faster than I am on shorter runs, but my endurance is better. He beats me at 5Ks and 10Ks, and we're similar at half-marathons. We've run two marathons together, and both times, let's just say there was no pressure on me to keep up. :-)

He doesn't ride or swim, though. I've got him there. However, he's a MUCH better tennis player than I am!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish. At the beginning of the season, I could out-swim my boyfriend... then he got back into shape.

But we met at a swim meet - I'm the chick who lapped him in a 1500 free.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes except on the bike. It is great motivation to ride with him but I worry if I get to the day when I am faster than him. I am hoping that day will never come actually. Because I am so slow on the bike compared to him, I sometimes get grumpy about it, but he's pretty good seeing when I just need to deal with my own ego. Plus once he gets back in shape, he will beat me in the pool... I know right now he likes trying to catch me... ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's faster, but I can go way longer. Hee hee.

Actually, he can run faster than me, but doesn't like to go more than about 40 minutes. I always tease him that his full workout is my warmup. He doesn't bike and swim, so I'm faster there just because I do it and he doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will always be a faster runner than him at anything over a 1/2 mile distance. He likes to do 100 yard sprint races with me to build his ego. He will do 5ks but only if I run with him which is kind of frustrating because I never get to see what I can do in the shorter stuff. He won't get on a bike because he knows he'll be slower as a beginner but I have no doubt he would eventually be a better cyclist. He's got crazy strong legs. Swimming I put in the work to finally be a better swimmer than him in a 200 and any distance greater. Like running, he's faster than me at the short stuff. He won't actually do a tri, still thinks it's "crazy" so we'll never know who is actually faster. I think he could handle being slower but he knows his friends and family would give him too much of a hard time for him to have to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i WISH i was faster than my bf ;) i happen to have found myself a pretty speedy one. i know for a fact that he would have a very, very hard time with me being faster. There have been the occasional workouts where i've kicked his ass, but they are rare. If i were faster though, i'd expect him to be supportive even though its not the "norm". you worked really hard to be as fast as you are, and just let him know that he should support you, and not feel as though he's any less of a guy because you are faster.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is slower than me on the bike and the run, but she's making great improvement, while I have largely plateaued. I would love it if we could train together more often at comparable speeds. She's a bit faster than me in the water, so if I push myself (which in itself is a great reason to swim with her) I can keep up. Unfortunately, it's hard to have much of conversation during a swim. Personally, I love fast women and think it's great when they join our group rides. Just makes for a much more enjoyable time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband is a much faster cyclist (been doing it much longer too) and runner. I grew up swimming and, when we first started dating, I could outswim him any day, any distance. But, he caught up....

Now, we're about even and one of my goals at IMLP this year is to come out of the water before he does! :)

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Quote Reply