Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great story. I'd be willing to bet that CSC will take good care of you. Let us know how it comes out.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would hope the the officials would make any necessary exception given that Bobby was riding for 1.5 miles on it without support.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [EWH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the ref on the bike was stopped right behind us when the change was occurring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pics of my rear wheel thanks to ss_luna:

Bet your wheel has never gone so fast. Cool story. I would keep it and try to get him to sign it. Then keep on telling the story.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear that Versus had to cut out the clip where he said "yeah, then some guy was being a slow loach about giving me his freaking wheel...and the gearing? Was he on his wifes bike?" - ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

what kind of crank is that? SRM powermeter with q-ring?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, there are no real rules about outside technical assistance for a wheel change. It is part of the sport's "cachet" and history that a spectator can be so involved as to sacrifice something in the hopes the competitor can continue.

In the case of your crit rider who claimed a rule against a wheel change, he is most likely mistaken. In general, crits are small course and very fast. Taking support and feeding outside the designated zones is typically dangerous. So feeding is restricted by the commissaires to a particular area.

In the case of mechanical incidents, you have to get to the mech repair zone, often near the start finish. There, an official can consider your predicament and grant a "free lap" starting you back in with the pack the next time they come around, and you are still racing as if nothing happened.

You probably won't get a free lap if you take a change somewhere on the course, and come rolling around, dropped, saying "I flatted, then got a wheel, and now I want a free lap". Most commies will tell you you blew it, have fun catching up. "no lap for you!"

In general you DON'T get a free lap for a crash. Only a mechanical incident. Crashing is part of racing and it is considered just another way you can lose a race. There is some forgiveness if your bike breaks or tire flats. A typical trick, if you have crashed, is to get your ass to the mech repair, and while you are running, jam your rear brake against the wheel. Make sure the mechanic has something to fix, so the commie says "oh yes, that's a mechanical problem too...free lap for you!" and off you go. Nobody cares about your skinned knees and elbows...just don't show up to the tent with a working bike.

Smelly.

ErgVideo.com
Last edited by: Paul Smeulders: Feb 21, 08 18:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is truly one of the best yarns i've heard here...well done!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a traveling Course Marshal with the Tour and I was working that corner and all I can say is that Julich is an amazing rider. He came down in a pack of about 20-30 and was in the back third. We were flagging like crazy but because of his position he could not see the median. He pulled his front wheel up at the last second, nailed the curb with his back, bounced up on to the front wheel (as if about to go over the bars), rode up onto the far sidewalk (there was a little opening where the curb was reduced as if at a cross walk), regained balance, and rode on.
Neutral support was ahead of them and team cars were still stuck on the hill. He immediately threw his hand up for a wheel, looked back and realized he was alone, and so he continued on. Your story is making the rounds of the entire race entourage. I believe you will get hooked up pretty good...Anon

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [joesmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

what kind of crank is that? SRM powermeter with q-ring?

Nice combination 9 sp cogset + 10 sp lever-der system + O.SYMETRIC. I do not know why the CSC mechanic is always shaking his head about his exotic ring choice. ;)

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In general you DON'T get a free lap for a crash. Only a mechanical incident. "

Rule 1A20 "A mishap is a crash or mechanical accident ..."

Rule 3D5 Free Lap Rule "... A free lap may be granted for each mishap ..."

I don't think it could be clearer.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a few USAT marshals that would agree more with Paul...also sorta depends on the crash.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Feb 21, 08 21:27
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [canadafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure Julich will be reading Slowtwitch and you guys could hook up and exchange wheels....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that it is last year wheel. I wonder if it was a 2008 wheel with the new carbon bridge technology if the wheel would had suffered the same fate.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're worried about getting your wheel back, I would PM IronCLM as soon as possible. I think she trains with him all the time.
Okay, you can mark my words on this...some team mechanic is going to go "what the fuck"...take the wheel off of the bike and put it in a corner of a truck. That wheel will then travel all over hell with the mechanic wondering where in the hell it came from. Some weeks down the road the original owner will make a call and get somewhere....then he will get a super kick ass wheelset (probably Zipp) and a poster signed as well as some clothing...but that wheel...I doubt he will ever see that wheel again.

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This really is a cool story :-)

I wpuld definately keep the wheel, as a memento of one of those experiences you can only have when watching cycling. Can't wait to read the update!

---------------------------------------------
//FRISK

Save a bike - ride a triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Rule 3D5 Free Lap Rule "... A free lap may be granted for each mishap ..."

I don't think it could be clearer.
No, "clearer" would be as follows: "... A free lap WILL be granted for each mishap ..."

The word "may" indicates there is some possibility of of "will not". Having been privvy to many such decisions, I can assure you that some commies take the "will not" option. Get to the pits with a "broken bike", increases your chances.

Smelly

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a great story indeed. Thank you very much for sharing.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The word "may" indicates there is some possibility of of "will not".'"

Yes, but the "will not" follows from the earlier part of the sentence in 5D5
"Riders shall normally cover the distance of the race regardless of mishaps and must make up any distance lost on their own ability unless a free lap is granted for mishaps."

The free lap rule does not have to be in effect (that's where the "may" comes from), but once it is, all mishaps must be given a free lap within the restrictions of 5D5(d).

Having received training directly from Colorado Springs, I can say that if officials are not granting free laps for crashes, they don't understand the rules properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You mean some other guy has yellow tires?"

I have yellow tires on my road and race bikes - Pro 2 Race :) Red bikes with yellow tires. Spiffy.

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome story!!! It will be funny to see if some random dude out there that doesn't know the story will think it is some new wheel set up CSC is playing around with and try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, from the uci rulebook, couldn't find CDN easily, but it's usually a copy of the UCI:

2.7.022 In the case of a recognised mishap as defined in the provisions governing track races (article
3.2.021), the rider shall be entitled to a neutralisation of one or two laps to be determined by the
commissaires according to the length of the circuit. After the neutralisation, the rider shall resume
the race but shall not earn any points in the following sprint.

Recognised mishap
3.2.021 The following shall be considered recognised mishaps:
• a fall
• a puncture
• the breakage of an essential part of the bicycle.
All others incidents are considered un-recognised mishaps.

This is better much wording than any "may", but it makes your point. Note the commie discretion is not about neutralization...only on how long it can be...1 or 2 laps. Perhaps this is the part they misunderstand?

...but I've seen enough commies deny the "fall" case often enough. Knowing that, I would always do the breaking-part... they seem to all know about that one, and they have likely already handed out a free lap for the guy who has flatted on lap one. I've even heard one commie say "why the f@#$ didn't he just let the air out of his damn tire while he was walking over??". Lesson learned.

Smelly

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story.

I am kind of an idiot about mechanical stuff. Could Bobby J tell just by sight that the wheel was going to work? Aren't there a lot of things that could have mismatched?

syi
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [swimyouidiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hank - a story for the ages. Sorry if I missed it in the other posts but what tire (brand, model, size) tire is on Julich's wheel.

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next