Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the old 2006 and 2007 version had 24 spokes.

you can try emailing shops with big rim inventories like www.wheelbuilder.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
LOL...I saw you on TV!

The vs. coverage? They didn't show that section...

It's classic... I was thinking. "now this is an R10C story for sure; I need pics"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading something similar a while back about a bystandard on a Colnago watching a race. Ride came by with the seatpost busted off his bike (got to this point standing the whole way). Asked if he could use his bike (thankfully had the same cleats and everything) and he tore off using it. Caught up with the team car a bit down the road..adjusted the seat height and he finished off the race. Think he might have won it too. Not sure what the guy or the team did for him but the bragging rights on his bike now..oi!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean some other guy has yellow tires?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quickly zipped through the vs coverage last night and didn't see it, but I could have missed something. I'm also hoping that I'll find some pics of the "exchange". A couple of people with cameras were near by, and one of them thought I was actually in the race and was helping out a teammate. I should have grabbed contact info, but my mind was noticeably absent at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the old 2006 and 2007 version had 24 spokes.
Ok, I found a flashpoint wheel http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/product.php?prod_id=614 with 24 hole option for $350. I think the spoke length is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no the spoke length is the same as long as you use the zipp hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A crash replacement for a FP-60 is cheaper than that. Call Zipp and ask what they can do for you. However, I'd leave out the whole story and ask if you could get the FP rim instead of the 404.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep checking back to see if joshatzipp has posted an offer to take care of you in some way or another ;) Nothing yet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hank,

You've got a photo of an Astana rider sucking your wheel!

Now THAT's impressive!

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]is the tub punctured or is it still useable? if it's still useable you have a spare tub right there. add to that the dura ace 10 speed cassette, and the 24H zipp rear hub and that's the total value of your shimano wheel right there. not to mention the zipp skewer. Now all you have to do is ask zipp to sell you a flashpoint rear rim and you can recycle the spokes too. Not bad for a brand new race wheel.[/reply]

Plus the hub has ceramic bearings. Send it to Wheelbuilders and you can get a new rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you know it has ceramic bearings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't part with that wheel. Classic story, cool pics. Frame the whole wheel with the pics surrounding it and you've got something - E
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You've got a photo of an Astana rider sucking your wheel!
That is classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by the way hank, did you ever happen to ask Bobby Julich how he managed to slam his rear wheel into the curb so hard it damaged to rim while his front wheel somehow managed to stay intact?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well. That's a really cool story! I'd keep the wheel as is..and hopefully CSC will hook you up with something for all your trouble. Maybe?

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
by the way hank, did you ever happen to ask Bobby Julich how he managed to slam his rear wheel into the curb so hard it damaged to rim while his front wheel somehow managed to stay intact?
Just a guess...surprised by the curb, maybe he tried an emergency-bunnyhop but only managed to clear the front wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did not... The conversation was pretty quick, he was still amped. Right now, I'm thinking about about a thousand things that I could have come up with, but I was in-between bathtime and story time when he called. Failed bunny hop? I'm really hoping I'll be able to find someone that was on that corner to get that side of the story... I'm actively looking around on flikr for photos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    Poor Bobby!

After all these years and he still crashes a lot!

Always did think he was one of the classiest riders in the peloton though.

Tell Julich you want that bike (with SRM included) when the season's over!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Zipp and do the crash replacement. It's going to be around 300 and you'll have a brand new rim.

Don't put a flashpoint rim on that wheel...
Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is about 30 sec after the exchange. The exchange was just past the hill in the background. Julich was able to bridge up with the Astana rider:

I now remember the moto, It was right next to us during the switch:

And this was with about 1K to go:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story. Let's see...CSC...Cervelo...Zipp...all of which could "make" this a truly "great" tale with a very small slide of hand...

Definitely keep us up to date on what happens.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will definately update when the box arrives... I'm waiting on what the definition of "hooked up" means to Julich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that's cool. When you get the shimano rim back, I'd frame it, the pics and the damaged Zipp. (Unless of course, I could get the Zipp repaired/replaced!)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious that the race referee is riding with Bobby right after the change staring at his wheel. Probably saying "what's up with the shimano clincher? Mavic NS has Mavic's. Gee that's peculiar".
Quote Reply

Prev Next