Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how do you figure out "ideal" race weight
Quote | Reply
yup, that's pretty much the question. everyone says that they have to "get down to race weight". how do you really figure out what that is? i have an idea, probably three lbs less than i am right now. i'm just over 5'9" and am currently 142 and am thinking that just under 140 would be good - but really, who knows. is it just where you feel the best? it can be a fine line between staying lean, and not eating enough to train. i sometimes find that a difficult line to negotiate, and i don't really have the extra cash to get an accurate BF test regularly. also, i am consistantly 2 lbs heavier during my period, which is frustrating as well when trying to fine tune this stuff.

thoughts?

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: how do you figure out "ideal" race weight [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is a guessing game for the first year or two you race. I am an athena. So I feel strong and healthy between 154 and 158 for racing. If i get near that 150 I feel tired, lose of strength, etc. Near 160 I feel slow. It took me awhile to figure it out. I just noted over the racing season my weight and when I felt strong. I didn't pinpoint one exact weight either. The range of weight works good for me. Then you don't stress out about the period week. I do feel a little sluggish for a couple days but that's just part of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great question, and I can't wait to see more responses! I'm struggling with this, too. I'm sitting at 132lbs right now (down from 136-138) and am thinking that 125 would be a good number ... but I picked that number because it seems possible to reach. Losing even that little bit of weight has helped my running, and I hope dropping the additional weight will help even more. It's been pretty easy to reach and hold 132, but dipping below 130 on a consistent basis has been elusive so far. As a former lightweight rower who trained just above race weight and dropped the weight for weigh-ins, keeping weight off consistently is my biggest challenge.

I don't have an answer for you, other than I think it may be trial and error. (And, of course, being able to fit into your wetsuit!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what I'm racing FOR. Back when I was running as my primary sport, I did my best racing at about 125. I wouldn't have had the leg strength at that weight, I don't think, to ride with as much power though.

Now, I find that sonewhere around 135 is fine. 130 would probably be a hair faster, but I can maintin 135-8 without too much sacrifice, provided I am lifting weights as well. I think it also has to do with, sadly, age. At 125 I was in college and shortly thereafter. Now, in my 30s, I'm pretty sure the only way I'll see south of 130 again is an illness :-)

Like others have said, "race weight" is, for me, when I feel good and strong and can fit into my wetsuit ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever I am on race day is my ideal race weight. :)

Seriously, I don't worry about it too much. I always gain weight during the season which I'm assuming (hoping!) is muscle so to me it doesn't make too much sense to drop too much weight prior to a race as I assume I'm just compromising my muscle mass. During season I typically weigh about 135 and I raced my IM last year at 132 so my supposition is that my ideal race weight is somewhere between 130-135.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that by eating right and training your body should go to a good race weight. I tend to put a few pounds on during the winter just because it is winter and they just come off in the spring and I am back to race weight. The way I think about it is, if you are forcing a certain weight by cutting calories it may be tough to do your best training. As it was mentioned some people see a weight increase during the season because they are adding muscle. Basically "ideal" race weight isn't a number to me, but a feeling and a level of performance that is reached by balancing healthy eating and good training. You should know when you get to it and when you are above or below it by how your feel.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Re: how do you figure out "ideal" race weight [southerngal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with this quite a bit. I see where I could lose a fair amount of body fat and have convinced myself I need to lose at least 5 more pounds, even though I lost 20 this past fall. Problem is my body doesn't want to lose it. I'm coming to the conclusion that my body has told me that I'll weigh 126 whether I like it or not and I should just get used to it. I'm going to be experimenting with calories to see what I need to fuel myself vs. eating too much/little. I've been told by multiple nutritionists that trying to lose weight while doing endurance training just doesn't work. I'm signed up for IM CdA and my training is picking up so I might have missed the boat on these last 5 lbs. I'll live with that, though, and adjust my self image :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced short course for a long time and I know that at x lbs I race well. I've raced above and below that weight, and neither felt as good. For long course, I've raced at that same weight once and had a great race, but I think x+3 is about right for me for long-course. Light enough to be fast but a little heavier seems to give me a little more power on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trial and error, mostly. :) My two best seasons, which were separated by two years where I was 5-10lbs heavier, have been at X weight, so I assume that X is my ideal.

I *know* that I can't go into race season hoping to lose more than a couple of pounds. To be fast in Jul/Aug/Sep, I need to start looking at the scale in January. Come summertime, I am too fatigued and worried about good recovery to lose more than a pound every couple of weeks.

This year I'm running Boston. I tried not to gain more than a few lbs since Sept, knowing that I won't have the same time to lose those pounds.

FWIW, I'm naturally fairly muscular and avoid weight training more than once or twice per year. :) I don't like it and figure that it's not worth the effort - for me the time is better spent on running or swimming.
Quote Reply