Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain or make it make since to me .....

I was biking on trainer after work (listing to music but watching TV with subtitles)....Oprah comes on talking about the women's body. Durnig the show they have put a picture of one women in just panties & bra up on the side of a huge building in New York (?).... Any way, they had people comment. The comments went toward "that's what a women looks like".... But then later in the program they're fixing them up in a new wardrobe and the stylist says..."you look great in this dress...see how it camouflages your stomach".. If that's what a women is suppose to look like then why would you want to camouflage something?

Maybe I just wanted to Vent.... why camouflage something if that's the way "your suppose to look" ? But also..... I don't think what makes a women is her shape !! At least I hope not, cause I don't have curves, does that means I'm not a women ?
Last edited by: oh: Feb 19, 08 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [oh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez...I hope the point of that show was to demonstrate how shallow and catty people can be. Sounds like the stylist could use a big bag of Meow Mix.
Of course, what makes a woman is NOT her shape--it's her bike split, right? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, what makes a woman is NOT her shape--it's her bike split, right? ;)

Can't it be her shoe and handbag collection??

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't it be her shoe and handbag collection??

make that ... running shoes and workout bags !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, even triathletes can have style. I love my asics and all, but they have their place in my life. As do my Ferragamos.

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As do my Ferragamos ..... LOL....what is that ? I've never been known as a fashion queen more like one of her drones ..hee hee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a Ferragamos? Is that a new bike? : ) I am fashion clueless, but that is okay, because I am sure it saves me thousdands of dollars every year. There are way too many places to buy expensive clothes around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with working to dress to flatter your body shape. I've got a very short torso and very long legs, and nothing I do will ever change that. So I learned long ago that I simply look better when I wear a top or coat that is at or below my hip bones. It creates the illusion that my waist is a couple of inches lower than it really is, and makes me look like I'm more normally proportioned.
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sence. So basicaly what they were saying was, nothing is wrong with your body....it just looks better if you do "this" instead of "that"

I was caught in tunnel vision and couldn't see it in any other way. One world makes a world of difference....Better instead of Camouflage !!....

Thanks for shedding a different light on it :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What annoys me are women's magazines with "get fit by Spring" or "loose 10 pounds by blah, blah, blah" then the magazine also has the top 5 chocolate cake recipes. Good grief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moral of the story is don't waste your time watching Oprah.
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea....I'm not an Oprah fan.....but I was only riding an hour, TV was on that channel when I turned it on.....Then my remote fell and I didn't want to stop, unclip and get it.. guess I'm lazy.....besides her show was 1/2 over when I started.... It was good that I had my music going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amen sister. Personally I dislike what Oprah stands for. I haven't watch a show nor cared about anything she says in 15 years. But there are so many woman out there that adore her.
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [NCCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Personally I dislike what Oprah stands for<<

NCCB, I'm curious as to what you think that is. The whole Oprah phenomena I find intriguing, I mean, even Obama makes the offhanded remark, "Oprah for VP" to resounding applause?

What is it that makes her so hugely successful? I do find some of what she says/does to be inspiring even if it perhaps is construed as disingenuous by some. The whole let me tell you about ME thing though gets real tiresome, however.
Last edited by: cindyloohoo: Feb 20, 08 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admire Oprah for the fact that she has gotten so many women to read. Her bookclub did an amazing thing, and she doesn't pick fluffy books.
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
without a doubt Oprah has done great things in general. she became a powerful woman during a time when there weren't many. she is a pioneer of sorts, and i appreciate that to a sincere degree.

but i know what you mean about growing "tired" of her; she is becoming "far removed" from everyday people, IMO. maybe wealth just does that to a person though (who am i to hold it against her!).

overall, i find oprah to be genuine, heart felt, and larger than life. when she wants to make an impact...she will definitely make a huge impact (ie, schools in africa, charitable contributions, encouraging people to read, etc etc etc). these are all things i "stand for".

but the stylist, by virtue of working in fashion, probably was catty. it just happens. and maybe in person the woman had hideious cellulite cottage cheese that the television didn't pick up, who knows. regardless, the point is that the garment flattered her by enhancing and dehancing certain characteristics. this is what all garments should do for us. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.......Ferragamos

wasn't he the quarterback for the Rams during the 70's?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite thing about this thread is that you, cerveloguy, got an "amen sister".

And for those of you not aware of the wonders of Ferragamo, I weep for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My favorite thing about this thread is that you, cerveloguy, got an "amen sister"."
------

LOL, isn't that some kind of karmic justice, since weren't you the one who was automatically thought of as a "dude" when you had your old screen name?

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok ....I had to google FERRAGAMO.... OMG..... $300 for a pair of slippers... I really feel like a red neck here !
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to check out the sexy shoe thread. A few of my babies are there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The show you are all talking about is hosted by Carson from Queer Eye. The point is taking women who hate their bodies and helping them love themselves. Seriously, they put her in front of a mirror and Carson talks about her great features to move the focus away from what she doesn't like. The clothing is to emphasize the great features and de-emphasize what they don't like. I actually really like the show. I honestly get weepy when hearing what these women say because I really struggle with body image. Silly, I know, considering what I have accomplished but there it is.

What I hate are the magazines like "Shape" with these scrawny girls on the cover than the healine "Lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that's a lesson learned for me .... don't watch a show that's half over and subtitles I can't really read cause I don't ride with my glasses on ..
Quote Reply
Re: TV shows that talk about weight...like Oprah [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm almost afraid to respond to you about why I dislike her. I will get jumped on. Honestly, she gives me the heebbies. I look at her speaking and think just how self important can one person be. how consumed with herself can she be. And before I get jumped on I know she does charity work. ( but does she really do it until it hurts?) She annoys me with how condescending she can appear when she is talkign to her captive audience of woman wanting to be validated by her. I am not your typical woman when it comes to the way I believe. If you know who Laura Ingram is that would be who I would probably be more like in my beliefs. Oprah comes off to me almost needy of validation. Something all of us women seem to want. And by goodness we as a gender give it to her. Just think how self important you would feel if you could lend your voice to a presidential candidate and people care. And it change how they were thinking to vote....did they stop to visit his platform...probably not...Oprah told us he was good so let's vote that way.....that bothers me.

Some explanation about what makes me tick.......I have spent the last 20 years of my life plus 4 years of college pursuing a career in construction which I'd say is still an 85% male dominated field. When I graduated from college I was only the 11th woman to graduate from the program. It has helped shape me as a person. As a woman. I think it has made me think less like a woman in a bunch of ways. I have close friends/family/fiancee that I want to have approve of me/validate me that matter. Not a celebrity. Oprah seems to need to have all these people validate her and so many of us woman jump to it. And we feel like she validates us.

So there goes......have at me...hehe!
Quote Reply

Prev Next