Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women only races
Quote | Reply
I never quite understood it. Maybe someone can shed some light for me.
I've never entered a women only race and I probably never will (I enjoy passing as many guys as I can when I race) but I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say and why it's so popular...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Women only races [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alexia, there are several great reasons why there are women's only events, the most prominent being they are a great way for beginner's to get involved in sports and they are a fun way for women to bond with each other. I traveled with two of my girlfriend's to CA to do a women's only event and had a great girl's weekend. We were all experienced triathletes and brought on a lot of competition during the event but had great conversation, food, and shopping the rest of the time. I have some non-athletic friends who are intrigued by triathlon and they came to me and asked for help preparing for an all women's tri this summer. It is less intimidating on many levels so it opens the door to women who are hesitant to take the first step.

My husband helps me at events when I am a vendor and he said that women's events are more fun. The women come to events like these for a total package experience and more often than not come to have a good time. Race organizers take extra steps with women's only events like providing cute t-shirts and swag, having a cause associated with the event, and providing a fun and inviting atmosphere. Women respond by signing up and bringing their friends.

I highly recommend taking part in a women's only event and taking some of your girlfriend's with you. I have nothing but positive things to say about these events and I think if you checked one out you would see why women enjoy them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am co-race director for two all womens sprint tris.
the women ( especially first timers) feel more comfortable competing with "only women" to get in their way. they get used to the feel of racing without feeling intimidated by the men.
the men love to come out and watch and volunteer.
these types of races are huge and draw a big following. we filled up our race last year and had to turn away entrants. we hope to do that again this year with both races.
we tend to cater to the women more than we would to a race with both genders. we have special mother/daughter and sister catagories. we give away "pink" shirts, bags, mugs etc. something we would not do at our male/female races.
all womens races are not for everyone. i enjoy racing in both types of events.
jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I choose my races pretty much based on convenience and timing. I don't seek out w- only races, but if one fits my schedule, I certainly enjoy it.

W- only offers the chance to pace among your own peers and not guys. Also, what everyone else said about offering an unintimidating chance to check out tri's.

I was in a sprint last summer, that sent the women off separately, and I have to say I quite enjoyed the atmosphere of that women-only wave. I got up closer to the front than I probably would have dared if it was mixed gender. As it happened, they had the women racked in t1 together too, and it was kind of fun that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did my first race the idea of women-only was much less intimidating. There's a huge difference in the atmosphere at women's only races, it's hard to explain if you haven't done one. I haven't done too many since my first one, but anytime a (female) friend is considering doing their first tri, I steer them toward the women's only.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who had done a number of co-ed triathlons before the womens only race came to town, I didn't quite understand it either. I initially felt as if it were demeaning in a way -- I mean, it seemed as if the race would be watered-down. My experience was completely different when I did my first women's only triathlon my 5th season of racing. I found that the race had something for everyone -- it was extremely beginner-friendly, and it was also very competitive for those looking for that aspect of racing. You know how we as women tend to be very detail-oriented? Same thing with the women's only race I did. It was extremely well-organized and very fun! Amenities were great. I would definitely do one again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I enjoy passing as many guys as I can when I race"

LOL!! That's what my wife says. I'll concede the swim and run to her but would never let her beat me on the bike!

She does this one particular women's only tri once a year and really enjoys it. But says she would never want to do them regularly.

I'd have to admit to having zero interest in doing a men's only event.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Feb 13, 08 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alexia, my first tri was a women's only sprint 3 years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I attribute it to such a great experience I had. Maybe I woulda had a great experience doing a co-ed one first, but I was a bit intimidated -- ha reading too much ST before the big first day.

There was more of a camraderie type atomosphere with women helping each other out, etc., cheering each other on.

I've heard from folks involved that it has one of the highest rates of recidivism, for lack of a better word ;). In other words, many women who start out doing "women's only" events go on and continue in triathlon.

I also think it was much less intimidting to me, in my 40s, to start there. I'm certain if I'd been 25 and doing my first tri, I'd have lined up right next to the guys and been a bit disparaging of the whole women's only concept -- thinking it somehow isn't as tough.

I think it's a great way to introduce the sport to folks who might otherwise not try it.
Quote Reply
Re: Women only races [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I also think it was much less intimidting to me, in my 40s, to start there. I'm certain if I'd been 25 and doing my first tri, I'd have lined up right next to the guys and been a bit disparaging of the whole women's only concept -- thinking it somehow isn't as tough.<<

Great comment Cindy! I work with a lot of ladies who start out like you and the initimidation factor can be quite large, especially if you are a late-onset athlete (or a returning athlete after many years).

I also agree that ladies who have a good first experience (which is often defined differently for men and women) go on to do more and other tris.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Women only races [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your reply, I certainly understand the interest in women's only races better now. I still don't think I will ever do one but I do understand the appeal.

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Last edited by: Alexia: Feb 14, 08 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Women only races [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to admit to having zero interest in doing a men's only event.

As a guy, I wouldn't mind doing a women's only race. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    I have officiated at a regular women's only race. There is a definite difference. For beginners it can be very intimidating, some women are self conscious about their abilities. In a women's only race there is support and comfort in numbers. I found two groups, one was competitive in nature, the usual triathlete personality. The other promoted participation. For some of the women, this was their first athletic event in a while. The group support for their desire to just participate, get fit, try something new, what ever the reason was very well supported. Was it as much fun as a mixed race, yes! There were lots of laughs, and light hearted challenges amongst the participants/competitors.
Rick
Quote Reply