Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which supplements do you take each day, if any?
Quote | Reply
Just curious as to what others take in supplements each day.

As a 37 year old woman, I know I should probally be taking calcium for my bones..
Are there any other vitamins, etc that anyone can suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multivitamin and 1-2 calcium chews per day.

I'm 32 and trying to prevent myself from looking like my grandmother did in her elder years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just take a multivitamin (when I can remember). If I feel like I'm getting sick, then I often take extra vitamin C in the morning and night.
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i take an iron supplement (slow fe) because i was feeling really weak and inexplicably tired for a while. it has worked very well.

----------------------------------------------
http://joneslovesnewbones.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [mds9t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take Centrum Silver, Glucosamine, and Vitamin D

I used to get seasonal depression which seemed to get worse and worse every year. This is the first winter I started taking 5000iu Vitamin D, and it's made a huge difference! I don't have any depression at all and I have lots more energy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take Biobuilde (amount varies depending on the intensity of my workout) and Body Health Complete all from BodyHealth.com. They are expensive but I really like the products.

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 2 calcium chews a day. I have multivits too but I never remember to take them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chewable multivitamin
Glucosamine/Chondroitin

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chewable multivitamin and additional calcium.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [TriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Advice from a 50 y/o runner turned triathlete; outside and active every day for the past 30 years: supplements are great for systemic health, however preservation of the outside also requires sunscreen, great moisturizers and a dedicated skin care routine. A personal savings plan for a future face lift/eye lift is not a bad idea either. I have had both and my plastic surgeon has convinced me that while my internal good health is due mainly to my active lifestyle, so is the premature aging of my skin.....!

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multi-vitamin daily

Every other day:
B complex
C
E

On an on/off cycle:
melatonin

When I hit some big training hours I'll take an iron tablet for a week, then off, since I'm trying to cut down on red meat some.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
over the last year i've been doing self study in Chinese medicine, and Ayurvedic medine. it has been a very interesting learning opportunity and i've changed alot of things that i was doing for the better (now i feel great!)

my daily supplements include dandelion tincture, st john wort tincture, lots of lemon juice in hot water, raw ginger, peppermint leaves (prepared like tea), green tea, jasmine tea, roasted dandelion root in tea, local honey (raw honey and also Fall honey).

on a regular basis i eat lots of onions/garlic, dark green leafy vegetables, avocado, organic produce, and cooling foods (like cucumber, salmon, etc).

what i've learned from the studies in Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine (in my interpretations), is that if you are doing the right excersise and eating the right foods you should not need calcuim vitamins (or arguably any other vitamins, as you would get your vitamins and nutrients from whole foods, herbs, etc, not potent dosages of vitamins).

if you are interested in learning more about Ayurvedic principles, you could identify your dosha with this questionnaire (if you don't know it already). http://www.holisticonline.com/...urveda-dvikruti1.htm

this will tell you alot about yourself and what foods are good for your dosha. Personally, it has given me a whole new world of understand and self-care to learn these things (i am Pitta, hear me roar. lol). Also i had my husband take this questionnaire (as well as a few friends, couldn't resist).

for your quest, you could find the understanding you're looking for within these Ayurvedic principles. but vitamins are potent things, i would not take them blindly without understanding what it is you really need and what the vitamins are going to do for you. and i would try to address those things with whole foods first (ie, calcium can be easily addressed with foods).
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 11, 08 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish oil!
I take one every night, and 2 after a long run or ride. Since I started taking it I have close to zero muscle soreness after a long run, as it apparently has some anti inflammatory properties. The change I have seen since taking this is dramatic. Also I take glucosamine when I remember and I dont bother with calcium supplements as I get enough from food. Also I try to not take a multivitamin every day as I eat the odd cliff bar, luna bar, etc and eat well, but during heavy training weeks I will take one.
But I LOVE this fish oil!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You only need to "take" calcium if you don't get enough from foods (1000-1500mg a day, no more than 500mg at a time)

I take a multivitamin, Ca if I need it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's righteous about the fish oil. EFA's are huge, especially for endurance athletics.
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question about calcium for the medical types or anyone else who knows these things.

I take 20mg/day of Prilosec for reflux. Historically I've consumed a lot of dairy, but I'm experimenting with a dairy-free diet right now, and I don't get enough calcium without it. I've been taking Tums to supplement calcium, but I read somewhere that calcium carbonate is not well absorbed by people on acid reducers. Is this true, and do I need to switch to a calcium citrate supplement?

I was bummed to see that all those chocolate/caramel chewy calcium things have milk in them! :( (And also corn syrup, and sometimes palm oil, if you care about these things.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None. I eat a lot of foods with calcium and fruits and veggies.
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

green leafy foods, for example, are rich in calcium. here is a list of calcium rich foods:
  • Salmon
  • Tofu
  • Rhubarb
  • Sardines
  • Collard greens
  • Spinach
  • Turnip greens
  • Okra
  • White beans
  • Baked beans
  • Broccoli
  • Peas
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Sesame seeds
  • Bok choy
  • Almonds

the good news is that natural foods has all you need for calcium! :)

in the meantime, raw ginger and also baking soda dissolved in water could be of great help to your condition, if you run into trouble while you're figuring it out.

Good luck!
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 11, 08 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZBEC, Glucosamine Chondriotin, and sometimes Magnesium/Potassium (I tend to cramp easily during swims)

If there's a big race coming up and the training is more intense, I substitute Spyrutein drinks for the multivitamin.
Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great post that was about the Ayurveda principles- totally took the test and realized so much about myself as to why I eat what I do- thanks for passing that along.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea! that is AWESOME.

so...are you vatta? kapha, pitta?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, i'm not totally faithful every day, but a multi, calcium, COQ10, fish oil. Along with Dawn T. if I'm feeling a bit under the weather, or I'm traveling by plane, I take one of those EmergenC packs.

I might drop the COQ10, but my female internist is rabid about middleaged women taking a multi / calcium especially. I tend to go along with her as she has a much more "preventative" outlook to healthcare rather than fixing damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kittycat, did you post some time ago about taking sun chlorella? Maybe my brain is mush. I was just curious is you did, if you're still touting it's benefits?

tnx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Vatta-Totally makes sense why I drink so much tea and warm drinks. I do oatmeal every am! I don't like raw veggies too- it was really cool. Not sure if I figured out the supplements to take but maybe the point is that if you eat well you don't need to. Anyone have supplements they take for anti inflammation?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Which supplements do you take each day, if any? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for inflamation (i'm pitta, so lots of inflamation) i do this:
-eat an anti-inflamatory diet (or try my best to; it's not perfect). this includes:
-salmon
-dark leafy green
-EFA's
-lean free range proteins
-chickweed tea, dandelion tea, green tea
-fresh lemon juice
-honey
-cinnamon
-raw ginger
-raw garlic
-EVOO, rather than butter or any shortenings
-organic eggs, and egg whites
-bright and colorful vegetables
-from scratch free-range chicken soup
-steam room and dry sauna several times a week

also, i have stopped pounding my body so much and have begun doing lots of therapeutic yoga poses that have worked out the tight wads in my body.

salt baths are also good for anti-inflamatory properties.

overall i try to NOT take NSAIDS, but sometimes if i have great pain (like in my shoulder from knitting too much, or from the screw in my forearm) i do take them, but try to counter it with hot lemon water, and dandelion tincture.

hope this helps. ?

vatta, BTW, needs lots of fats. avocados, EVOO, grass fed beef, cold water wild caught fish, etc. soup will be like a miracle medicine for you, that's great you eat alot of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next