Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you race if you had to walk?
Quote | Reply
Hi as some of you know I have been injured for the last year and am trying to decide if I should try to race this year but just walk or walk/run the runs? It kills me to miss another season although it may kill me more to walk- but I do love the sport and maybe I could just focus on my bike swim- what would you do?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Would you race if you had to walk? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't do that, but I would have no problem with a racer opting to do that if that's the only way to race.. Why don't you look for Aquabikes in your area. They're getting to be quite common here in Ontario. Or, you could look for races with relays and you could hook up with a runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends if walking or run/walking would exacerbate your injury - you don't want to do permanent damage to yourself, or delay your recovery time even more.

There's a woman in our club who had her leg basically crushed by her horse 2 years ago - she can swim just fine and is a kickass cyclist, but can't run. However, she's learned the mechanics of race walking, and continues to do tris because it's what she loves to do. And damn, she's fast! I think I'd take a lesson from her and do the same, if I were in her shoes.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, why not. Give it a try and see if it's fun or if it bums you out too much. I like Dawn's relay suggestion too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this exact scenario present itself back in 2005. I'd been having a really great training year and then got a tibial stress fracture in May, putting a huge damper on my race season. I had already signed up for the NYC triathlon and the only way my coach/doctors cleared me to do it was if I walked the run portion. At the time, I agreed because I really wanted to do the race and didn't think anything about it. But when it actually came time to start the "run" it was really hard to walk, especially with people cheering for you and encouraging you, etc. It didn't help that me injury didn't really hurt that much, but I knew it still needed to heal. The 10K took me well over an hour, was really hot and somewhat demoralizing. I had a great time on the bike, and the swim was disgusting (but that was because of the locale, not the injury... ) Two weeks later, my husband and I did a sprint, (his first tri) where I just did the swim and bike then dropped out so that I could watch him finish. I found that much more satisfying.

But now, I don't know if I would. It would really depend on how my training had been going. If I thought I could swim/bike well (and not exacerbate the injury) I would probably go for it. I tend to use races as a motivation to get my butt out the door to train, so that plays into it also. But if I was all around under-prepared, then I'd probably pass.

So, I guess that's my long-winded way of saying "it depends." :-)

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race if you had to walk? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I had almost the exact same thing - but my stress fracture was in my fibula. It didn't hurt that much, but I knew I needed to stop running to let it heal. I cancelled a travelling race but stubbornly decided to do the local olympic (Boulder Peak) and planned to walk the run. As you might expect, I ran it instead, resetting my healing clock back to t=0.

I personally wouldn't be able to just walk it because I'm an idiot. But I think its great if someone wants to walk instead of not race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF you want to do it then you should absolutely go ahead and enter and just walk the run. I think sometimes we (meaning most of us on this board) get way too caught up with "racing" versus "finishing" - heck, we all have different goals so go out and do YOUR best in YOUR current condition.

I recently traveled for a 1/2 marathon and was actually pretty excited to race as I've recently moved to a climate where I've been able to run outdoors yearround and I know my running has come a long way. However, it turns out another friend who was traveling to the race is 3months pregnant and wanted someone to "run" with her - meaning we couldn't let her heartrate get over 130. I chose to run with her and we were so far back in the pack I think even the BOP people were ahead of us! But honestly, it was a blast - I was that sickenly chearful person cheering on all the other BOP people b/c I could have held that pace forever. So while we ran I was encouraging other runners and generally cheering on those around me. At the very end towards the finishing chute it was hard not to pick it up and race to the finish line but we kept our slow and steady pace. Honestly, it was one of the most fun races I've ever had and gave me a completely different perspective on races as a whole.

Go out and do it - you just never know what you'll learn, about others or yourself, through it.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on track to compete in Hawaii, I forget which year, and started having pain in my ankle. All i could do is walk. Up until the last minute, I was planning on walking the whole marathon in Hawaii. But did not when I found out things in my ankle were torn. Now I have to be very careful about the surface I run on, and know if there is sand, or trail stuff, i have to walk. My first race back from my injury, i was last. I'm used to being closer to the top. But i do not care. i love the sport as well. and would it really "kill" you to miss a season, or "kill" you to walk. Listen to yourself. I appreciate every moment I am able to go out and swim, bike, or run/walk. The day you can not do those things, will be the day that "kills" you. So walk if you have to and enjoy what you can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, I would do this. Some people do it unplanned, you will probably finish better than them. As long as you have clearance to walk and will make the cut-offs, I'd say . 100% yes, race your own race.

Perhaps setting a swim goal for yourself or a bike goal, could keep it interesting.

There is one athlete in my area, he is 77 years old and he does all the local tri's up to HIM, with no intention of running the run. He is a fine athlete and it took me til mile 13 to catch him in a HIM.

I have another idea for participation without running if you are interested...it's a little off the page...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first season run-walking. It was that or nothing, and nothing would have been terribly boring ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolultely - sounds like you are in this for the love of the sport as well as the excitement of racing. As long as you won't be injuring yourself go for it and have a blast !

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you thinking you need to walk or walk/run because you are still injured, or because you just don't think you running will be up to par? If you are still injured, you might delay your recovery even more by walking/running. You could just try some bike races, open water swims, aqua bikes. If you aren't still injured, and just are trying to get back into running, then I'd go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have to run/walk?
How about doing "aquabikes" or "swim-cycle" (whatever they are called) instead or do a Tri with one (or more team) and do the swim and/or bike leg(s)?
I have done a 1/2 iron distance "aquabike" the week before IMLP, and it was was great. I also did a sprint Tri with two teams (swim with one, and bike with other team). There is nothing like swiming like there is no bike and run, and biking like there is no run after.... It is a lot of fun!

Fred (a guy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this and I would do it again if I were in the same situation. I had signed up for a 70.3 and got injured. I could still swim and bike, just not run. Since I had already signed up and was definitely going to go to the race since it was my husbands first 70.3 I decided to race anyways. I raced the swim and bike and walked the run. It was a long walk, but I actually had a blast with it. I talked to people walking around me, I saw many BOP's struggling and working hard to finish, and really just had a good time. I think the nice thing about it was that there was no pressure to be fast, I could just hang out and enjoy myself.

The mistake I made was assuming that since it was just walking I didn't need to train at all for it and it would be no big deal. Well walking 13.1 miles turned out to be a little harder than I expected. This is the only time I have ever cramped while walking and I found myself pretty sore the next day. So, my recommendation is to train some for the walk!

If you choose to give it a try, have fun and good luck!

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for your thoughts- here is total honesty- nope I'm not better I'm still injured but after a year I'm starting to think its not going to get better and in that case how can I still participate without totally hurting myself. Still going through doc appts and PT's but I'm starting to think this could just be how it will be and in that case I'd rather run/walk or just walk then do nothing- am I too impulsive after a year?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's wrong with you? Are what is your injury?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race if you had to walk? [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first marathon last Jan 2006 and at the end my knee killed. Stopping running for 2 weeks but knee still hurt kept swimming and biking a bunch. To make a really long story short I had ART therapy, massage, had a cyst removed, cortisone injections, lots of PT, accupuncture and then slowly the pain started to radiate to my hip and lower back over a period of 6-9 mos- since then I have been diagnosed with a labral hip tear and a herniated disk- so we are all still trying to figure it out and what will make it better. So its knee, hip and back all on the same said- now they think its an SI issue- who knows. So I'm biking most days with little discomfort haven't been swimming since the herniated disk was dx but would like to try soon. So thats the scoop! Frusterating as heck and I can't believe this is my scenario- but it is!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
              If walking will not make your injury worse then go right ahead.I have a mate who has walked the marathon of about twelve of his 18 or so Ironmans'.He had a big crash when he was a kid and it twisted his pelvis slightly.While the injury did not affect him much when he was younger,for the last decade it became so bad that his hip became injured as well and he became a candidate for a hip replacement.He struggled with the fact that not only could he not run anymore but his cycling became more and more painfull.I used to train with him a fair bit to try and help him out and marvelled at the daily dose of courage it took him to get out there and train the way he did.All my little aches and pains were nothing compared to what this guy went through every day.He does Ironman for the love of the sport and even though he struggles to make the 17 hour time limit he still goes out there and tries(sometimes stupidly I'll admit)to cross that line.For eleven straight years he came to IMC and for most of them was in the last half hour of the time limit but finish he did with a "run split" that was usually in the eight hour range.All our fast buddies can't work out why he does it but the years I've spent with him at various races has shown that he is really what the Ironman spirit is all about.It is the challenge of overcoming all your self doubt and pain to achieve what normal people think is impossible.He has inspired so many people and made so many friends out there at the back of the pack that I really think he gets more out of Ironman than most.These days,when I get all pissed off with the "go fast at all costs" attitude that is creeping in Ironman I think of guys like my mate Glen who will never be fast but competes with the heart of a lion.Last week he had his hip replacement and was told that he will never run again but in true Glen style he told me that he can't wait to be able to swim and ride fast again now that his range of motion has returned.He will not be in Canada this year but will be at Ironman West Oz where he plans to walk his way to a new Ironman personal record.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race if you had to walk? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for that post! Isn't that amazing! Last summer even during my injury and chronic pain from whatever it is that happened last january I was still able to swim pain free two miles and I think I got to about 35ish miles so I think I could do it if I could train. Thanks for all the posts everyone- makes me really think I could do it carefully- mind you some day I would love to run again!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get better then race, save a spot for someone else

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply