Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So, for you vet peeps...
Quote | Reply
Okay, I know there's only two of you, and I could have posted on the main forum...but I feel like we have a happy little forum here, all of our own :p

I am a writer who should have been a veterinarian. Do you know of any veterinarians who need a writer...for ANYTHING? Will write for animals :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not off-hand, but I'll keep you in mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey MMRocker. Just wanted to say hi, its me Ironmwoman1.
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [trimama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahha! You're all confusing and such with the different name :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 You might want to see if your abilities are needed for a continued CEU program. I am sure you would be needed for some company that provides the CEUs. (just an idea since I have been approached and have no time)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HEY!!!! you have my dream job.

How do you get to be a writer?

I'm an exercise science major looking at med school because my parents told me that I could never make enough money to survive by just writing... I don't really think I want to go to med school :(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MM- sponsored by Aquaphor!!!! Lucky gal...love that stuff.....

Sorry, not a vet. But I do have 3 Pugs and a Min Pin!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not starving...but I'm not rich. :p

"Being a writer" means you have to be flexible in what jobs you're looking at; you have to write a lot fo not very interesting stuff, and you need to be able to take feedback well. It also means you spend a lot of time writing about stuff you couldn't give two shits about. Which is why I'm now openly asking vets and other animal peeps if they need ghost writers. Cuz that's something I DO care about, and would much rather get established in that field.

Honestly, if you don't want to go to med school, don't. I got my degree in English and writing b/c it was easy and b/c everyone told me I had a talent and it would be a travesty to waste it. But now, looking back...eh, I wish I would have maybe risked a little and done something I had to struggle at and maybe off the bat not have had a "talent" for.

My heart and passion is in animals and animal welfare--whether it's health related, training, behavior, rrescue, etc. So I'm gradually trying to find things that allow me to use my skill set to that end.

Do what you love--get a well-rounded education that teaches you life skills and work skills, yes...and then get a background insomething that will enable you to make a living doing what you enjoy.

FWIW, my major was in english (nonfiction writing), and I minored in cognitive linguistics. My graduate degree is in cognitive psychology. (Initially, I wanted to do science writing, so I got a graduate degree in a science field.)

There are lots of jobs for writers, and most of them pay the bills. Do you wake up one morning as the great american novelist? uh, no. That's usually a side job until yu get successful enough... But there are other things to do in the meantime.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey mm
If you are in a big enough city you could start with writing stuff for veterinaray clinic's websites or newsletters. Get good rapport with them then maybe write for local newspapers. Depending on your subject knowledge and your resume, you could aim to submit animal/veterinary articles to bigger publications. I know that NYT has a very good (non-DVM) writer on animal issues (I wanna say his name is Mark Derr?) and I have seen his stuff in Atlantic Monthly too. The usual recommendations on writing: read A LOT, write about what you know, netwrorking, writers' workshops etc. What do S/B/R and tri mags have to say about submitted writing? You could start there. Maybe comb thry ST for recurrent animal-related themes and see if there is a story there (non-fiction reporting, I assume you'd be doing??) If you get too medically, be sure to have reputable sources...

Hope this helps!
Callie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice elaboration - initially, it was targeted to "vets"...

Have you considered contacting local rescue groups or SPCA? They are always looking for PR / community / media relations people - the SPCA, for example, puts out press releases, media kits, they do direct marketing campaigns, letter writing / petitions, etc. A someone who writes good - ;) - could always be of use to them. It may be an unpaid gig, at least at the beginning, but who knows...

There's also about a gazillion magazines, web sites, etc. dedicated to animals, pets, etc - maybe a staff or freelance role with one of them?

It's good to follow your passions...
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-) I am a veterinarian (even tho there were a buncha typos in my last post...)
Last edited by: PB&J: Feb 8, 08 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [PBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice - we must have posted at the same time... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi mmrocker,
Well...looks like there are at least 3 of us! I was actually expecting this thread to be about "veterans of tri"...or something along those lines...not veterinarians ; ). Not sure I'll be of much help, but I'll put my two cents in since I'm one of the three. I'm in academia and I regularly get hit up to help writer's with stories for various magazines. Since I'm a horse vet, examples would be Equus magazine, and the AQHA magazine. There are tons of animal-related magazines out there...just don't know about the availability of jobs for writers, but that might be a starting point. Newsletters are a fairly popular marketing tool for practices, but not sure how much small practices would be willing to pay a writer. Maybe some of the larger, multi-doctor practices would be interested in your services. Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great, I wasn't expecting to find a thread for fellow vets! I'm in academia too and write a lot of research articles, textbook chapters etc. Recently I found a more creative outlet and started a blog with a veterinary theme. I enjoy writing the posts, and after sticking with it for a year have some loyal, interactive readers. It also led to a column in a veterinary news magazine. I think blogging is a great start/alternative for writers to get your name out there. You can comment on other people's blogs, and get referrals or writing assignments that way. It just gets hard to fit in the regular writing with all that training :)
Quote Reply
Re: So, for you vet peeps... [tallgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a complete newbie and a veterinarian and saw your post on vets. The next day, I came across this want ad- maybe it's right up your alley. Good luck!

Wanted: Technical writing and research assistant

The Association of Shelter Veterinarians is supporting a project to develop
welfare standards for companion animals kept in shelters, sanctuaries,
rescues, animal control facilities, etc. We engaged a veterinary student
last summer to begin compiling an electronic bibliography and pdfs of the
references. We also have an outline of the draft document approved by the
Association Board. Now we are at the stage where we need technical writing
and research assistance to read through the large body of literature we've
accumulated and identify pertinent information for the outline from these
references and then write brief summaries for each section. You would not be
responsible for writing final copy - only identifying potentially relevant
information and summarizing it in brief paragraphs. The final authors for
each section will be recognized experts in shelter medicine - these
individuals have not yet all been identified.

The position requires excellent writing skills, the ability to quickly read
through and identify relevant information in a broad range of literature
(wildlife, lab animal, farm animal, companion animal), and the ability to
work independently. You would be compensated as an independent contractor
through the Association. The schedule is completely flexible, but you would
need to be able to devote at least 8 and not more than 16 hrs per week. We
anticipate it will take about 3- 4 months, depending on how many hours
worked per week.

If you are interested, you would need to submit a short letter of intent and
a writing sample demonstrating ability to write in a journal style format
suitable for the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Please mail your inquiries to Dr. Julie Dinnage at jdddvm@cox.net.
Quote Reply